What, in your view, makes a great boss?

After years of freelancing, I’ve taken a fixed-term contract post working on a project that really excites me. It’s a long commute, and a pretty junior level post compared to my previous experience, but I took it because the passion and values of the project leader really resonated with me. And it’s been great.

I was chatting with a friend recently, who loves her job but her current HoD is a total wuss who just hopes bad things go away and has let the working environment degenerate into petty rivalries and cliques... but he’s a social friend, a nice guy and good at his day job, just... not suited to being a manager.

My line manager is a great manager - three or four other people also report to him (from a different line function) and they also think highly of him as a manager. He trusts his staff, empowers people, supports people, and is very quick with positive feedback. At the same time, he doesn’t suffer fools, speaks his mind and is known for his “speaking truth to power” - he’s not shy of confrontation up or down. But because he’s so generous to colleagues, he has to spend a lot of his “free time” working, to keep on top of everything.

What, in your view, makes a great boss? And how does that skill set compare with the skill set for ones “day job” in your workplace?

A great boss does their job while letting me do mine . .. is there to bounce ideas off, takes suggestions openly & who remembers to say please & thank you, recognizing a subordinate's humanity.

• Like 1

For me, the main consideration is whether the boss will nonresentfully address and solve problems. I've had some who stuck their head in the sand and resented me for seeing a problem coming around the corner and rocking the boat. I partially solved this by letting them fall on their faces and keeping my mouth shut and then being the one who was ready with the solution, but problem with that becomes do they give you credit for that or do they take credit for it themselves.

I will never work for another boss who expects you to ignore problems, and one other reason for that is because if they are enabling a bad employee, they are demoralizing all the good ones.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

For me, a great boss is someone who is not being an active obstacle. I love working independently and with as little supervision as possible. So absent/busy bosses who don't have time for me are ideal. I have always thought that blaming the management is not taking personal responsibility (unless you are being bullied or harassed). I don't need a manager to speak up for me because I can do it myself.

I am a new manager and I thought I would struggle in this role, but my reports are always complimenting me. I treat them as equals and am often asking for their thoughts and input. I have also developed a strong 1-1 relationships with each of them. They love to drop by my desk after a meeting and discuss what happened. I naturally don't mind confrontation and conflict so when they have issues, I am happy to go to upper management and resolve them.

• Like 1

All the different opinions offered so far speak to the fact that a great boss can accommodate different personalities and styles and tolerate dissenting points of view without feeling threatened. They also let others fill their buckets first, understanding team success comes before their own kudos...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
MetallicHue

i think you have to be approachable if you have an issue or question. I’ve had bosses who are hands off but you could still always seek advice from them. For me a great boss is someone you can get along with and have a good rapport. I think a great boss is also someone who has respect for you and recognizes the value you add.

• Like 2
littleblackheart

One of the best bosses I've had always seemed 'aware', switched on in terms of the dynamics of the department. Almost like he had a 6th sense and could preempt any issues, which is why there were barely any. On the rare occasions when there were things to review, he was a straight shooter - no dramas, always very professional, fair, would give the same consideration to everyone's positions and would deal with any issues quickly, transparently and even-handedly.

He also had a great aftershave, incidentally.

• Like 2
  • Author

Great answers so far - I’m nodding in agreement with all of them!

I do find it interesting how different these are from the stuff that gets taught on “management skills” courses for new managers, though. Those are all about balancing your budget and conducting “performance management” reviews :lmao:

I do find it interesting how different these are from the stuff that gets taught on “management skills” courses for new managers, though. Those are all about balancing your budget and conducting “performance management” reviews :lmao:

Those are the metrics the company cares about, which makes the business profitable. Having those skills makes one proficient at the job. Those things can be taught & learned. You asked about what separates a competent boss from a great boss. The answers you received which focus on human capital management & interpersonal relationships are not as quantifiable.

Great answers so far - I’m nodding in agreement with all of them!

Yeah, and manipulating employees and fostering team work to the point no one feels they are able to achieve anything they'll ever get credit for.