How to talk about my salary?

As some of you may know, I got a new job that seems great. The only problem is that he is not going to start me off with what was in the internet, he wants to see that I can actually do all the things I have on my resume. How can I ask when will he pay me what I expect and tell him that I want what he offered on the net. What would be the best way of putting it without offending him?

A Fly onThe Wall

Do your references/skills match up to what he was looking for on the internet ?

If you aren't as skilled as he was looking for he should pay you less until you can be more skilled and then up your pay on the 90 day review

• Author
Originally posted by A Fly onThe Wall

Do your references/skills match up to what he was looking for on the internet ?

If you aren't as skilled as he was looking for he should pay you less until you can be more skilled and then up your pay on the 90 day review

I think I am over-qualified but I really liked the job. He mentioned that he would evaluate me and see if I am qualified and he would pay me less if I'm not but he did not mention he would pay me more if I am qualified. How can I mention it to him?

A Fly onThe Wall
Originally posted by ~Naive~

I think I am over-qualified but I really liked the job. He mentioned that he would evaluate me and see if I am qualified and he would pay me less if I'm not but he did not mention he would pay me more if I am qualified. How can I mention it to him?

Since he has already mentioned that he was going to pay you less then I think it is okay to ask him what his plan is for your pay.

He shouldn't be shocked at you asking.. It's your pay ...you need to know what to expect

Something tells me that he thinks your resume is fine but something about it has bothered him.. Maybe he called some of your references and got a mediocre feeling. and he is seeing if your can perform the way your resume says

• Author
Originally posted by A Fly onThe Wall

Since he has already mentioned that he was going to pay you less then I think it is okay to ask him what his plan is for your pay.

He shouldn't be shocked at you asking.. It's your pay ...you need to know what to expect

Something tells me that he thinks your resume is fine but something about it has bothered him.. Maybe he called some of your references and got a mediocre feeling. and he is seeing if your can perform the way your resume says

i think he just wants to see if I in fact know how to do everything I said. How can I tell him though that if I do everything as expected I want the full amount? I know I can do it so that's not a problem. Finding the right words is the problem!

I don't think that's a wise idea. IMHO it will only solidify any doubts he might have about you. Focus on being excellent. When you have proven yourself you'll be in a position to bargain.

A Fly onThe Wall
Originally posted by Outcast

When you have proven yourself you'll be in a position to bargain.

You shouldn't have to prove yourself for bargaining power AFTER you accept the job.

The wage you are being paid is what he thinks you are worth to him for the things that you will do for him in the future.

not the past or present but the future.

You are the only one privy to the details.. If there is an opening for the conversation then you need to have it.

If there is not then you need to do what outcast suggested and work hard.. But remember at that point the target of what was in the online ad could be gone and you will have to settle for whatever your raise will be at the 90 day review.

Good luck

I'm willing to bet the online ad stated a range or said something like 'commensurate with education and experience'.

A Fly onThe Wall

I'm willing to bet the online ad stated a range or said something like 'commensurate with education and experience'.

ding ding.. You have won the prize...

I think your right outcast.. and she is looking for the top range while he is thinking lower range.

• Author

it said the amount as long as the person has 1 year experience and I have 3!!! but I am stupid for accepting less. thanks though for helping me out in figuring out what to say. I will do it on my own.

• Author
Originally posted by beth5201

I think that should have been discussed before you accepted? Did you already?

Yeah we did, but he did not tell me how much time I should wait until we would discuss salary again. So I don't know if to mention it or not......

A Fly onThe Wall
Originally posted by ~Naive~

Yeah we did, but he did not tell me how much time I should wait until we would discuss salary again. So I don't know if to mention it or not......

the standard is 90 days

curiousnycgirl

Naive - is this a large enough firm to have an HR department? If so you can always speak with them, tell them what was said - and ask their policy on this type of interim performance review, etc.

• Author
Originally posted by curiousnycgirl

Naive - is this a large enough firm to have an HR department? If so you can always speak with them, tell them what was said - and ask their policy on this type of interim performance review, etc.

no, it's a solo practitioner :(

• 2 weeks later...
'commensurate with education and experience'

Translation: Whoever wants the least amount of cash for doing the most work.

You know, someone who doesn't have the education and experience to know that they are being overworked and underpaid (beaten up)

• 2 months later...

I notice you mentioned you accepted an offer recently, so this reply is a bit late anyway. However, perhaps, for future reference, what you could do in this type of situation again is accept the standard salary the company provides on their ad and make an agreement that after 3 months of satisfacotry employment, your salary goes up to what you originally requested.

Although my experience was terrible at my second to last job, they contracted my starting salary and also contracted after 3 months of sucessful completion, my benefits would kick in and my salary would go up to what I originally requested. I know I had a VERY bad experience there, but that doesn't mean it will happen to you. So, ask for them to do that. This way, they can pay you the starting salary, and give you what you want after you prove your worth to the company.

• Author

Thanks for the replies. I am actually working somewhere else because I had a terrible experience at this place as well!!!

HokeyReligions

I've been through something like that. Its not too late to say something as long as you are prepared to do it.

Just approach him and tell him that you also have some concerns about the position and that you would like a written employment agreement that clearly states that your salary will go up to what you expected after 30, 60, or 90 days (whatever time frame you agree with) and that letter should mention some specifics--which you can get from him since he seems to be somewhat hesitant about your abilities.

You can approach him with something like "I want to do the best job for you and I would like to sit down with you and list some of your concerns and expectations so that we can both make sure we are on track and we have clear goals for both of us. I would also like to have an employment agreement in place that addresses salary." Then take it from there. Your employer needs to know that you are not only interested in money or in your own career but also in the success of his company.

RecordProducer

I don't know the rules in the United States, but I think even if you work for less than what you deserve at the beginning, you can always ask for a raise, basing on the fact that you deserve more and you've proven to do a good job. If he has gotten used to you, he would probably raise your income a bit rather than fire you and hire somebody else. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the replies. I am actually working somewhere else because I had a terrible experience at this place as well!!!

I'm glad to hear you found a better job since you stated your prior job was not going well. As I learned from experience, best to get out of there ASAP when circumstances are bad. What was so bad at your last job anyway, Naive? Well, good luck with your new job, I hope this works well for you! :)

I don't know the rules in the United States, but I think even if you work for less than what you deserve at the beginning, you can always ask for a raise, basing on the fact that you deserve more and you've proven to do a good job. If he has gotten used to you, he would probably raise your income a bit rather than fire you and hire somebody else. What do you guys think?

It's a possiblity. Depends on the company really. Some companies think nothing of the "off with the old, on with the new" routine. There are some people who get laid off just because a company doesn't want to pay yoru benefits! Of course they never will tell you that's the reason why they're letting you go, but there are signs that's a majority of the reason. But on a more positive and secure note, there are some companies that will do more than this...if they like her, they may even be more generous with her increase in salary after her probabtionary period is completed. It's a crap shoot. The best she can do is make an agreement, give it her best shot, and hope for the right outcome.

• Author
I'm glad to hear you found a better job since you stated your prior job was not going well. As I learned from experience, best to get out of there ASAP when circumstances are bad. What was so bad at your last job anyway, Naive? Well, good luck with your new job, I hope this works well for you! :)

This man thought I was his slave instead of his employee!!! The day I quit on him he screamed at me, "are you stupid or something, do you need me to scream at you all the time?" I walked out on him. None of my employers has ever treated me this way and it's just unacceptable! Now I am working for 2 real cool attorneys.

• Author

By the way, he ended up paying me more than what the ad said but it was so not worth it!!!:mad:

This man thought I was his slave instead of his employee!!! The day I quit on him he screamed at me, "are you stupid or something, do you need me to scream at you all the time?" I walked out on him. None of my employers has ever treated me this way and it's just unacceptable! Now I am working for 2 real cool attorneys.

Good thing you "walked out on him" anyway. Don't ever feel bad about it either...'cause I've been in that situation too, and taking their sh*t wont help make you employment last either. I did that at my last horror job, thinking taking that crap would save me from loosing the job. Well, I was wrong. If boss ever gives you crap that's actually harassment, you gotta stand up for yourself and get out if it doesn't stop ASAP. Good luck again! I started my new job. On the second day now. It's going well, so I hope this jobs lasts! We'll see! Let's pray!