how soon should you apply for a job after a layoff notice?

Highroller107

Company informed us we al will get lay off in 2 months . Should I apply for jobs now or wait until May? If I get hired somewhere, like next week or next month how likely is it they are Going to wait or hold my spot till May?

losangelena

I would not delay. If you got a job somewhere else and didn’t stay at your current company until May, would you lose out on any kind of severance package? If no, then there’s absolutely no penalty to leaving sooner than two months. If your company has told you you’re going to get laid off in two months anyway, I don’t really think you owe it to them to stay that whole time if you find something else in the meantime.

• Like 2
introverted1

A bird in the hand and all that.

Unless jobs in your field are so plentiful that you can afford to wait, I say start looking now and accept with 2 weeks notice to your current employer.

• Author
Highroller107
I would not delay. If you got a job somewhere else and didn’t stay at your current company until May, would you lose out on any kind of severance package? If no, then there’s absolutely no penalty to leaving sooner than two months. If your company has told you you’re going to get laid off in two months anyway, I don’t really think you owe it to them to stay that whole time if you find something else in the meantime.

Well, I have to stay until May so that I can get the severance package, 18 week pay that comes after that. After working there for 12 years, I deserve something!!! If I leave before that, I don’t get that lay off package. I sure as hell don’t know why they have to give us a notice though, I would have preferred them just saying we are done and walked out that day, than having us still come in and torturing us that the end is near when I can already be applying and maybe getting interviews. I have an interview next week so I think I screwed up by applying too soon, I don’t know if they are even going to consider me if I tell them I won’t be able to work till May.

Start looking a month before layoff IF you're sure you can find a job, and then tell them you have to not start until a month. If you have vacation, you could take that too and leave earlier.

• Author
Highroller107
Start looking a month before layoff IF you're sure you can find a job, and then tell them you have to not start until a month. If you have vacation, you could take that too and leave earlier.

Yeah, maybe I’ll use some vacation days that week so that I can leave early. In the meantime I’m just going to look for part-time work so that I can get a check coming in when my time is up in addition to looking for full time work. Who knows how long I’ll be without a full time job

I sure as hell don’t know why they have to give us a notice though, I would have preferred them just saying we are done and walked out that day

If you're in the US, under many circumstances notice is legally required.

Agree with Wallysbears, apply and explain...

Mr. Lucky

• Author
Highroller107
If you're in the US, under many circumstances notice is legally required.

Agree with Wallysbears, apply and explain...

Mr. Lucky

I really doubt they will be “understanding” to hold my spot until May if I were to get hired somewhere. No employer will do that, they don’t care about someone’s personal needs. If they need someone to start in April they will most likely hire the next person in line. I’m sure they will have deadlines to meet by hiring someone to fill the position ASAP.

• Author
Highroller107

Notice isn’t legally required, there have been several times in the past where they have layed off some people without notice.

immediately... and if you got another job why would you care about your current employer if you have gotten another job ? just turn in your notice and go to work for the new company

I think a 2 month notice to layoff is great they are giving you time to secure a job and not affect your cash flow.

BTW, are you subject to call up or recall after the layoff ? if you are that is something your new employer should know.

losangelena

Well, I don’t think it can hurt to look, even if you do want to hold out for that severance package. Although, if you get a job right away, you don’t need severance.

Hiring processes take so long anymore that even if you found a job you wanted this week, with interviews and whatnot, it could still take a few weeks to go in there. What kind of work do you do that you can find a job and get hired so quickly? Again, if you found something straightaway, and they’re not willing to wait for you until May, then that’s no harm, no foul. Keep looking. Maybe by May that company will have another opening.

You’ve been at the same company for 12 years—has it been that long since you’ve looked for other work? Do you know what’s available in your area?

• Author
Highroller107
immediately... and if you got another job why would you care about your current employer if you have gotten another job ? just turn in your notice and go to work for the new company

I think a 2 month notice to layoff is great they are giving you time to secure a job and not affect your cash flow.

BTW, are you subject to call up or recall after the layoff ? if you are that is something your new employer should know.

I want to get my severance package, plus I can also enroll in the marketplace for special enrollment.

So is it better for me to lose my severance package/filing for unemployment/enrolling in marketplace finding possibly a new job before May, not knowing what to expect at the new job-or if that new job will work out or waiting until May, get those benefits for 4 months and finding work later?

Edited by Highroller107

So is it better for me to lose my severance package/filing for unemployment/enrolling in marketplace finding possibly a new job before May, not knowing what to expect at the new job-or if that new job will work out or waiting until May, get those benefits for 4 months and finding work later?

If your goal is to enjoy some paid time off, whole different issue. And after working for 12 years, a sabbatical can be a good way to recharge...

Mr. Lucky

• Author
Highroller107
Well, I don’t think it can hurt to look, even if you do want to hold out for that severance package. Although, if you get a job right away, you don’t need severance.

Hiring processes take so long anymore that even if you found a job you wanted this week, with interviews and whatnot, it could still take a few weeks to go in there. What kind of work do you do that you can find a job and get hired so quickly? Again, if you found something straightaway, and they’re not willing to wait for you until May, then that’s no harm, no foul. Keep looking. Maybe by May that company will have another opening.

You’ve been at the same company for 12 years—has it been that long since you’ve looked for other work? Do you know what’s available in your area?

I’m currently just looking, updating my resume and what not. There are jobs that I want to apply for, I don’t know, I don’t want to hold out before it’s too late. I applied to like 3 jobs, then took a step back. 1 job I applied to-I received a rejection email the next day. And 1 job I got a call for an interview-but that doesn’t guarantee anything. I’ll take my chances and apply who knows how many rejections emails I’m going to get

• Author
Highroller107
Will you be given outplacement services to help with your resume and interview prep?

Yeah, near the end. They said we are going to be in touch with “Lee Hect Harrison” to find jobs. I thought it was an actually person then I googled it and it’s some “temp agency.” What a crock. If they really wanted to help us out the managers should refer us/put a good word for us to Land another job, since they are the ones that have connections.

I'd start looking immediately. If you are offered a job be up front about your time constraints & desire to get the package. Frankly, I doubt you will get anything in 2 months. But if you approach your new employer by showing dignity and a desire to have integrity surrounding your old job, the new employer should be willing to wait. If they are not, the new employer may offer you a signing bonus to come on board & abandon the package (same money to you just different source).

You really don't want to be sitting around collecting unemployment for long, unless you do. Friends of mine planned to "take the summer off" a few years ago & enjoy life. When summer ended & they searched for jobs, there were none to be found & they remained out of work for almost 2 years. Things got tough near the end; if one of them hadn't won a small lottery, $20,000, I don't think they would have survived.

• Author
Highroller107
I'd start looking immediately. If you are offered a job be up front about your time constraints & desire to get the package. Frankly, I doubt you will get anything in 2 months. But if you approach your new employer by showing dignity and a desire to have integrity surrounding your old job, the new employer should be willing to wait. If they are not, the new employer may offer you a signing bonus to come on board & abandon the package (same money to you just different source).

You really don't want to be sitting around collecting unemployment for long, unless you do. Friends of mine planned to "take the summer off" a few years ago & enjoy life. When summer ended & they searched for jobs, there were none to be found & they remained out of work for almost 2 years. Things got tough near the end; if one of them hadn't won a small lottery, $20,000, I don't think they would have survived.

It just seems like a “death trap” by giving us 60 day notice, keeping us here till May, talking about our package. Looks like everyone will be working here till the end because they want to collect their little package. I mean I think the company is being selfish at the same time because they want us to keep working only to complete “their” business needs, there is still work that needs to be done. Also, they are still wanting to follow dumb PTO guidelines like being out on the waiting list if there is not time off if we request that day off. What if we have an interview to go? And we can’t get that day off b/c everyone else hasn’t taken that day. Selfish on their end. But I’m just going to start looking and applying now.

Eternal Sunshine

It really depends on your financial situation. There is always going to be work, at least enough to survive on if you are reasonably healthy and not picky about jobs. I know that if worst comes to worst, I would clean toilets for minimum wage.

If I was in your position, I would look right away while also trying to build up savings so that you can survive at least 6 months of unemployment.

• Author
Highroller107

Just an update...well, I had an interview today, and they offered me the position on the spot..I was surprised. They said it was going to take at least 2 weeks-for paperwork and to verify my employer and for me to give my current place 2 weeks notice. I told them I couldn’t start working until May. She said she was looking to hire 10 people but by May she would have had all the spots filled and that if she didn’t find someone by then-she would put my application on top and call me.

However, As soon as I walked in I had a feel of the place and people, I had a gut feeling this wasn’t the place for me. There were 2 managers that interviewed me, 1 of them didn’t interact with me at ALL. And didn’t say nice to meet you and didn’t introduced herself to me during in the beginning. And when the other manager offered me the position, she didn’t say anything to me. I just thought it was shady. Even if I was offered job which I need -I didn’t like the vibe there-I’m not going to accept a job where I’m going to be miserable