How can I work at a computer all day for profit?

So I am wondering whether I have made a gross mistake by coming here and placing my trust in a site that is clearly for ladies and bulls to hook up as in ancient times. I have yet to meet a Minotaur, good job I have string lol I am curious as to how to proceed to work as a (male) freelance consultant for the civil service.

It is obvious that such jobs exist. But what are the requirements? Serious replies only. CV upon request.

Thank you.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Edit typo in title; fix spacing; add paragraphs
  • Author

So it occurs to me that the most profitable job which involves sitting at a computer all day is programming.

I have some experience programming, mostly as a hobby from my youth, in Fortran and QBASIC, starting off with Sinclair Spectrum BASIC back in the days of tape drives, so I know what it involves, but have never really been any good at it.

Actually writing a program to meet the requirements of a specific problem is something that I have long struggled with, and unlike in maths, you can't prove things by contradiction in programming.

Diagnostics, on the other hand, is something that I am good at, since that is all about proof by contradiction.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what experiences they have had with working with people in either a programming environment or a diagnostics environment, and would they recommend either?

Thank you.

I'm a software developer, programming is what I do all day. The barrier to entry in terms of qualifications and experience is pretty high, so unless you're dead set on it, I'd explore other options.

If you're good at diagnostics, have you considered being a software tester? It's more than just following a set of instructions to see if things work, you actively need to devise possible failure conditions and prove they can't happen. Then when you find an error, you need to be able to reproduce it consistently and systematically eliminate as many possible causes as you can. If you're mathematically minded and have an idea of how software works but not the actual programming experience to build it yourself, it might fit you well.

CautiouslyOptimistic

Do you know that this is a forum primarily about interpersonal relationships and not career networking?

Wallysbears

This isn't a job seeking nor a hookup site. Have you spoken to your therapist/psychiatrist recently?

• Author
I'm a software developer, programming is what I do all day. The barrier to entry in terms of qualifications and experience is pretty high, so unless you're dead set on it, I'd explore other options.

If you're good at diagnostics, have you considered being a software tester? It's more than just following a set of instructions to see if things work, you actively need to devise possible failure conditions and prove they can't happen. Then when you find an error, you need to be able to reproduce it consistently and systematically eliminate as many possible causes as you can. If you're mathematically minded and have an idea of how software works but not the actual programming experience to build it yourself, it might fit you well.

I have some experience with type theory which I believe is commonly used in programming, indeed one of my friends higher up in the academic hierarchy was obsessed with the NF (New Foundations) alternative to ZF (Zermelo-Fraenkel) Set Theory, which I believe grew out of Lord Russell's Principia. Unfortunately type theory just doesn't do it for me, I cannot understand how one can program hierarchically when the world is three or four dimensional, i.e. partially ordered not linearly ordered, maybe the future is some sort of category theory programming, I don't know if you have any references to a language that is based on that.

Do you know that this is a forum primarily about interpersonal relationships and not career networking?

This is the heart of the matter, if I cannot learn to career network, how can I have an interpersonal relationship?

This isn't a job seeking nor a hookup site. Have you spoken to your therapist/psychiatrist recently?

If I can be nasty for a minute, I thought I was speaking to her now?

lana-banana

This is a site for miscellaneous relationship advice, venting, chat, etc. We aren't therapists. It sounds like you would benefit from a professional who could help you understand social cues and norms.

• Author

These are all great replies. If anyone knows where I can start looking for paid casual research assistant work online I'd appreciate the cue. To give you an idea of the sort of thing I find interesting most at the moment, the site www.lawsofwisdom.com written by a lawyer is a fave. Personally I'd rather go for more of a health angle than economic, but cultural translations are something that I am good at. Hardcore mathematics takes a lot of time and patience, so the salary and hours would have to be really good for me to return to such endeavours. Having a boss who understands the mental strain my health is put under by society and my personal needs to be myself is also a must. Any cues towards achieving all this would be welcome. Thank you.