LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

If someone doesnít make eye cintact with you, a hint they dont want to talk to you?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree16Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2019, 1:16 PM   #1
Established Member

If someone doesnít make eye cintact with you, a hint they dont want to talk to you?

At work yesterday, I was sitting outside the lunch room looking at my phone, reading. One of the security guards said hi, I said hi back, then he told me,Ē everytime when I see you, youíre always sooo quiet.Ē Iím like wth? Well, duh itís because Iím on my smartphone, does it look like I want to be bothered on my break time? Now, if I saw someone who looked busy and was occupied with a book or on their phones, I wouldnít bother them unless they looked up and gave me eye contact. Now I have to avoid this guard before I hear anymore annoying comments about what I do on my breaks
Old 12th March 2019, 1:24 PM   #2
Established Member

People don't see looking at your phone as a go away sign anymore, because some people look at the phone when they don't have anything better to do.

I think the guard was just being friendly. Instead of avoiding him, give him a quick acknowledging nod when you see him but don't speak. If you recognize his humanity, he will probably leave you in peace.
Old 12th March 2019, 1:31 PM   #3
Established Member

The guard is probably just looking for a pleasant acknowledgement. Often people in those roles go completely unnoticed and not spoken to by the very same people theyíre protecting all day, every day.

Canít hurt to smile, say hi and take a moment to ask how their day is or tell them to have a great afternoon.
Old 12th March 2019, 1:42 PM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller107 View Post
At work yesterday, I was sitting outside the lunch room looking at my phone, reading. One of the security guards said hi, I said hi back, then he told me,Ē everytime when I see you, youíre always sooo quiet.Ē Iím like wth? Well, duh itís because Iím on my smartphone, does it look like I want to be bothered on my break time? Now, if I saw someone who looked busy and was occupied with a book or on their phones, I wouldnít bother them unless they looked up and gave me eye contact. Now I have to avoid this guard before I hear anymore annoying comments about what I do on my breaks
everyone's level of reading non-verbal cues is different. some ppl are very good at it and some ppl are not. there is a reason why this clown is a security guard probably making $11/hr

- Monty Python
Old 12th March 2019, 1:50 PM   #5
Established Member

You should be glad someone is being nice to you when they don't have to. He's just a friendly guy and likely part of his job is to get to where he kind of knows the people he works to protect. You seem overly defensive.
Old 12th March 2019, 2:00 PM   #6
Established Member

He probably thought you have no friends or lonely and bored but have no one to talk to so you ended up using your phone. He was just being nice. Hopefully you didn't return it with mean remarks.
Old 12th March 2019, 5:32 PM   #7
Established Member

Highroller, you've frequently commented about not having many friends and being miserable in your life. If this is your reaction to a security guard making an innocent comment, it's no surprise you find yourself in this position.

Imagine if you'd responded in a positive way....could you have ended up having a nice conversation? Perhaps made a new work friend? This kind of stuff is the secret to having a happier life.
Old 12th March 2019, 7:58 PM   #8
Established Member

I guess he was just being friendly, but I don’t owe him anything if I don’t want to. And I didn’t respond rudely, I replied, “yeah, I sure am.” With a few laughs near the end. I’m not sure I’m looking for a new “work friend” considering he’s probably 60 years old. The last time I was “friendly” to a security guard He thought I was hitting on him after I repeatly told him I wasn’t interested, he was pestering/harassing me whatever you call it and all because I was friendly to him-which opened doors. It works both ways, what If i went up to someone and started talking to them and they gave me a cold shoulder? They don’t owe me anything either
Old 12th March 2019, 8:23 PM   #9
Established Member

Of course you don't owe him anything....I simply suggested being friendly because it's nice to have positive interactions in our day and could give you a boost.
Old 12th March 2019, 8:26 PM   #10
Established Member

Are you generally regarded as an unfriendly person?
Old 12th March 2019, 8:31 PM   #11
Established Member

Well, don't act inappropriate with them, just polite and friendly. Don't judge this one by that other one. If they start inching towards something inappropriate, tell them, I am very happy with my boyfriend. If they continue to get inappropriate, then you can take an attitude with them or just embarrass them out loud by saying loudly for all to hear, ARE YOU COMING ON TO ME, FLOYD????
Old 12th March 2019, 9:33 PM   #12
Established Member

There is a way to acknowledge somebody else's humanity without coming across as being anything other than polite.

While you don't owe people anything, the world is generally a better place if you can be kind.
Old 13th March 2019, 7:52 AM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
There is a way to acknowledge somebody else's humanity without coming across as being anything other than polite.

While you don't owe people anything, the world is generally a better place if you can be kind.
Iíll be polite but not too ďfriendlyĒ in a flirting way from now on
Old 13th March 2019, 8:20 AM   #14
Established Member

Itís good youíre setting the scene before it plays out. Most times we think itíll be way worse than it actually will be but itís smart to be prepared in case it does go the other way instead.
Closed Thread