I am to take an exam and will be bringing some refreshments for the half-time break.

If somebody, a stranger examinee, asks me if they can have some of my refreshments on the break is it so bad to say no?

I'm going to put myself in your position. I'm about to take an exam and I've prepared myself by bringing snacks to keep my energy level high. I didn't plan on bringing food for anyone else.

If a perfect stranger (or even someone I happen to know) came up to me during a break from the exam and said "Can I have some of your food" my immediate and natural and reflexive response would be to look them in the eye, give them a half of a smirk/smile and say "Sorry I brought only enough carbs for myself, next time perhaps you should plan ahead" and then I'd look away and forget the person ever existed.

That much being said, its a bit of a concern that you have thought about this highly improbably scenario in such detail and have gone to the trouble of posting about such an extremely unlikely event. That's the real issue here. You sound rather OCD.

• Like 4

Why would a stranger ask for some of your food? Sure, I've had homeless people as if I'm done so they can have leftovers, but the odds of it happening in the scenario you describe are 1000:1.

• Like 1
  • Author

Recovering from narc abuse, slightly ptsd. Need moral support, no man is an island. Am not ocd, but do not know exam etiquette. Am looking ahead... the only way is up... thanks for your response

Am not ocd, but do not know exam etiquette.

Exam etiquette? I learned a new term today.

You don't owe anybody anything. If a perfect stranger wants something that belongs to you, there is no obligation to provide it. If you feel better doing so, point them in the direction of the vending machines.

• Like 1

It is highly improbable that somebody would ask such a question. Unless you know people well, food is highly personal. You are under no obligation to share.

• Like 1
Wallysbears

No one will ask for anything except perhaps gum or a cough drop if they start coughing and see you have those. You should be fine.

• Like 2

you always share darkmoon, no matter what. you don't have to offer but if someone asks,.,

Simple Logic
I am to take an exam and will be bringing some refreshments for the half-time break.

If somebody, a stranger examinee, asks me if they can have some of my refreshments on the break is it so bad to say no?

Unless you packing a spread for 20, why would anyone ask?

• Like 1
todreaminblue

im going to differ from everyone else....and write ...

share.....if someone were to come up to you and ask for food (a complete stranger) no matter the environment you are in...

they must be really hungry...personally even if i was starving i would not ask a complete stranger to share food...i have however received charity and food vouchers before and know how hard it is to admit....hey ...i have nothing can you please give me some food for my family....

for this reason alone.....i would share...i would not ever say no to halving my sandwich to a stranger who asked....you never know..maybe one day that stranger may be asked to share food and they may remember my kindness...

Matthew 25:35

For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

you never know where angels choose to tread.....they may even turn up in exams....there is no exam eitquette...just a certain....kindness ....always

but that's my opinion from my heart...what i would do..how i choose to live life..what i choose to believe in...follow your own heart......and i wish you well.....deb

• Like 2
Unless you packing a spread for 20, why would anyone ask?

I read your post and pictured someone showing up for an exam and bringing a tablecloth, and picnic basket full of assorted cheeses and crackers. :p

• Like 2
Recovering from narc abuse, slightly ptsd. Need moral support, no man is an island. Am not ocd, but do not know exam etiquette. Am looking ahead... the only way is up... thanks for your response

Neh, you should be fine Darkmoon.

Just take enough for yourself and eat it in the corner if you have to. Or,mexcuse yourself by saying "i hope you don't mind if i eat" and go ahead and do it.

If it's separate items like chips or biscuits, put them into a spearate smaller portion size bag so it is clear there's only enough for you.

If it's separate items like chips or biscuits, put them into a spearate smaller portion size bag so it is clear there's only enough for you.

Or bring soup and drink it right out of the container it's in and say "I backwashed, the stuff floating on top is what's left of this bad cold I've had".

• Like 1
you always share darkmoon, no matter what

Says who?

You do not have to share. People probably wouldn't ask anyway; it's highly unlikely.

Or bring soup and drink it right out of the container it's in and say "I backwashed, the stuff floating on top is what's left of this bad cold I've had".

If you open a packet of chips or biscuits, there's this weird feeling that you have to share.

But, if you decant those chips into a separate smaller bag, then it's obvious you've packed them for yourself and the overall expectation is that you don't share.

Just hover over your food like a little scrooge and people will get the hint! I think most people are too inhibited to ask anyway.

I'd share if she was hot.

Regardless of my degree of satiation or starvation.

hehe :p

Food can be used as an ice-breaker or seducer :)

• Like 2
RecentChange

I don’t know what kind of exam this is, but most I have taken say no food or drink

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
Nobody would do that, Darkmoon! That's not something people do. Stop worrying about it.

I would agree with you, preraph...

I only shared my lunch a few times and that was with this beautiful black swan. Years ago, I had this job near a lake and I would walk there and eat my lunch. Well, I made the mistake of throwing a leftover crust of bread to this black swan. After doing that a few times, the swan would come up and "beg" for food. He/she wasn't content with a little scrap or crust at the end and it didn't want to wait, either. So lesson learned, don't feed the swans, they are very smart, remember you and can be aggressive.

• Like 1