Working for a politician vs working for a thinktank

So I'm still trying to work out how I can apply my unusual intelligence to something useful which will also be able to earn me some extra cash or at least a reference for the future should the work be voluntary.

I say unusual because I suffer from schizo-affective disorder, I say intelligence because I am high-functioning, even if my experiences have been traumatic and taken place within the mind/universe of my perception.

All my doctors say I have great insight, and though the meds I'm on make it hard to concentrate for more than a few minutes, I am able to contemplate things and express short ideas/solutions.

What I'd like to know is whether there is any room for applying myself in my current condition in such a manner officially. Conversations are where I work best, so in a way I am already participating, however, with the tag of mental patient as opposed to voluntary or casual worker, it is very hard for me to progress beyond my current dysfunctional life.

I had always wanted to work in a university, but now I am wondering if I can act freelance as a consultant to an MP or alternatively do some blue-sky research at an economics think tank.

I am wondering what is the best way to go about gaining official acceptance in either field.

My biggest hurdles are time commitment and work consistency, however I see no reason if I am up front about these issues that I shouldn't be able to gain some official status or credentials within the limits of what I am permitted to do with the aim of eventually freeing myself from the constraints of my condition.

What do people think?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the jobs you want are going to require you to physically be there & interact with strangers. From your various posts you would be better served working remotely & using your unique skills in a quieter more solitary environment. Look into researcher positions.

• Author
Most of the jobs you want are going to require you to physically be there & interact with strangers. From your various posts you would be better served working remotely & using your unique skills in a quieter more solitary environment. Look into researcher positions.

Research has always been very attractive for me, but it has got to the point where I believe my best interests lie more in practicing, of course most jobs involves a combination of the two amongst other things, getting a paid job as a researcher within the limitations of my condition has not been easy, and the last one I had, in health economics, ended badly without results, whether this is my true calling or simply a stepping stone to eventual practice probably depends on me, thank you for the advice.

Wallysbears

Do you have formal education/degrees? If not, why not start with taking some formal courses towards a degree?

I had always wanted to work in a university

Universities are great places for people who are not neurotypical, but they are also very competitive. What qualifications do you have?

Think tanks value good research track records in their field, as well as political commitment - they want someone who will approach the topic with the same ideological slant as their own. MPs have paid and voluntary staff, and they’re primarily interested in people who are “on side”, whose political commitment to their party is beyond question. Are you a member of a political party? If so, contact your local branch office and ask how you can get involved. If not, try perhaps at local government level where party politics may not be that central, and where local issues and local knowledge may be more valued. Also approach NGOs and voluntary agencies who work in a sector that appeals to you - you should be able to get experience and make contacts, if nothing else.

• Like 1