LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Can't cope with this coworker anymore


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree6Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2019, 11:55 AM   #1
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 186
Can't cope with this coworker anymore

I am in a contracted position in the allied health industry (similiar to nursing). The organisation is experiencing constant upheavels and there is currently a new manager in place.

It is a client heavy role, similiar to nursing, with contact with vulnerable clients. The job also involes a lot of paperwork, which takes up about 1/3 of my time. I rarely get breaks and my meal break consists of shoving down a couple of mouthfuls of food between tasks.

There is a co worker that comes in after me and picks on everything i do. She nit picks at me when i am tired and busy trying to finish everything at the end of my shift. If she has 'feedback', she goes on and on and says the procedure is that we sort it out between ourselves (when actually the procedure is we do that, but if it is not resolvable, then we need to escalate it to middle management).

My back is sore and i am constantly anxious in this job. My days off are spent being anxious and my sleep is not that good at the moment.

The reason i have stuck in the position is to support new manager and higher manager, as i know higher manager is going through stuff at the moment and i want to support her.

I am going to have to call in sick today, which means the service might not have enough knowledgable staff on the shift, which puts the manager in a difficult position.

I am thinking that the best way forward is to make a formal complaint about this co worker, but i feel too exhausted to.

I want to pull out of the contract, but i've known the upper management for a few years and she's always been good to me and now this co worker has put me in a position where i have to make a difficult phone call.

Last edited by Soak; 5th March 2019 at 11:59 AM..
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 1:18 PM   #2
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soak View Post
If she has 'feedback', she goes on and on and says the procedure is that we sort it out between ourselves (when actually the procedure is we do that, but if it is not resolvable, then we need to escalate it to middle management).
It sounds like a draining situation to be in. How awful that it's resulted in you being physically ill.

What sort of discussions have the two of you had to try to resolve the situation between yourselves?
Amy1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 7:03 PM   #3
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soak View Post
There is a co worker that comes in after me and picks on everything i do. She nit picks at me when i am tired and busy trying to finish everything at the end of my shift. If she has 'feedback', she goes on and on and says the procedure is that we sort it out between ourselves (when actually the procedure is we do that, but if it is not resolvable, then we need to escalate it to middle management).
.
Since she doesn't seem to be a department head or supervisor, why not tell her professionally but directly to butt out? One effective way to deal with busy bodies like this is to kick their potential communication upstairs. Tell her "Flo, I have nether the time for nor interest in hearing your input. If you think there's a problem, you should take it up with Ms. Manager"

And then put her on ignore. Like so many obnoxious, disruptive or negative people in one's life, she only has the power you give her...

Mr. Lucky
__________________
Happiness is not a goal; it is a byproduct -

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 7:17 PM   #4
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The most beautiful little country in the world.
Posts: 1,719
Mr Lucky is correct, you need to stand up to her. I've worked with a couple of people like this over the years, one I put up with for years, harassing me and trying to manipulate me...until I copied the manager into my (email) response to one of her demands and threat if I didn't do what she wanted. It stopped right then and there and she found a new job soon afterwards.
mrs rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 11:37 PM   #5
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
.
Since she doesn't seem to be a department head or supervisor, why not tell her professionally but directly to butt out? One effective way to deal with busy bodies like this is to kick their potential communication upstairs. Tell her "Flo, I have nether the time for nor interest in hearing your input. If you think there's a problem, you should take it up with Ms. Manager"

And then put her on ignore. Like so many obnoxious, disruptive or negative people in one's life, she only has the power you give her...
I tried to do this last night, but she kept hammering on.

It has been escalated to supervisor, who clarified info for me today. I doubt co-worker's ability to change her communication "style" (for want of a better word).

There's usually only two-three of us on a shift at any one time, so if I am on with one of the organisation's staff, it is a free-for-all from this co-worker and I am at the brunt end. Most of the staff don't like me being there as they perceive me as a threat and I often get the cold shoulder despite that I am only performing normal work activities.

Last edited by Soak; 6th March 2019 at 12:18 AM..
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 12:43 AM   #6
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soak View Post
I tried to do this last night, but she kept hammering on.
But if you're not listening, isn't she talking to thin air?

Again, your response is her reward. Without a reaction from you, not much incentive for her...

Mr. Lucky
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 4:52 AM   #7
Established Member
 
darkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,176
report her ... you are your own worst enemy otherwise


the managers need to hear this ... they are paid to ... and she might get to them first


just email them ... you are writing to us here ... not always exhausted
darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 5:50 AM   #8
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmoon View Post
report her
Yes, i will next time she uses that tone with me or is unreasonable in her communications.

Last edited by Soak; 6th March 2019 at 5:59 AM..
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 6:08 AM   #9
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
Again, your response is her reward. Without a reaction from you, not much incentive for her...
So, are you suggesting that i completely ignore her and give her silence if she crosses the line?
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 7:44 AM   #10
Established Member
 
darkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soak View Post
Yes, i will next time she uses that tone with me or is unreasonable in her communications.

she already has used that tone etc! what are you waiting for?



and keep a diary, a record, uses 5 mins on the ride home... and do not tell her, vital

Last edited by darkmoon; 6th March 2019 at 7:46 AM..
darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 8:54 AM   #11
Established Member
 
d0nnivain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeastern USA
Posts: 33,437
If you report her you will look like somebody who can't solve your own problems. If you can't solve your own problems how is the organization supposed to trust you to solve the problems of the vulnerable clients?

Instead, when she comes over to you & offers you feed back you unequivocally say something like, "I've been at this position for ___ weeks / months. I understand how to do my job. You are not my supervisor. I resent the fact that you constantly try to undermine me with your unfounded criticisms. Please stop. Do your own job & I'll do mine. If management has a problem with my performance, I'm sure they will let me know." Then ignore her
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 11:42 AM   #12
Established Member
 
preraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 24,757
You need to talk to your upper management person. You respect her and she you, and even if her plate if full, that's her job, not yours, and you should be honest and tell her you've tried to resolve it with this coworker but are pushed to the point of wanting to resign.
__________________
"I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not better for it." -- Abraham Lincoln
"The greatness of a nation & its moral progress can be judged by the way in its animals are treated." -Gandhi
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 12:46 PM   #13
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soak View Post
So, are you suggesting that i completely ignore her and give her silence if she crosses the line?
Absolutely, Agree with d0nnivain, this is an issue to solve at the peer level. Management's response can be quite heavy-handed in these "she said/she said" situations...

Mr. Lucky
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 5:38 PM   #14
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
If you report her you will look like somebody who can't solve your own problems. If you can't solve your own problems how is the organization supposed to trust you to solve the problems of the vulnerable clients?

Instead, when she comes over to you & offers you feed back you unequivocally say something like, "I've been at this position for ___ weeks / months. I understand how to do my job. You are not my supervisor. I resent the fact that you constantly try to undermine me with your unfounded criticisms. Please stop. Do your own job & I'll do mine. If management has a problem with my performance, I'm sure they will let me know." Then ignore her
Yes, this. Thanks dOnnivain.. I'll make a facsimilie of this and place it in my repetoire. Saying something professionally and then ignoring her is the way to go. Problem is, we have to work in close quarters with each other and quite often in pairs, which requires an collaborative style of communication. And she will likely hammer on, even when i end the conversation. She will probably say 'i've been here for over a year and i KNOW the clients well' as this is what she's done before.
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 7:36 PM   #15
Established Member
 
d0nnivain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeastern USA
Posts: 33,437
Then soften your tone but still say "bug off" nicely. Add something like "I think you are trying to help but right now all you are doing is delaying me from doing my job." Repeat as often as needed. If she doesn't stop . . . send the same message to her via E-mail. On 3 occasions I nicely asked you to stop interfering with my ability to do my job. You still haven't. If I have to repeat myself again, the next note does go to HR because at this point you are my biggest obstacle to providing timely client services."
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OW: Kissed a married coworker who likes another coworker. Harmony2015 The Other Man / Woman 13 16th January 2015 4:08 AM
does my coworker/crush like another coworker? x3mon Dating 1 6th April 2013 1:37 AM
Confessing crush to coworker and telling her why we can't talk anymore? socrushed Dating 15 19th January 2013 7:18 PM
I can't cope with this anymore Littlemadam Breaks and Breaking Up 5 23rd August 2009 5:20 PM
How can I cope with not being #1 anymore in my married lover's life? Dolly The Other Man / Woman 22 21st March 2004 1:17 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 5:25 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.