LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Working with people who have college degrees vs those who never went to college?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2019, 10:24 AM   #16

Some of the most ignorant and/or unintelligent people I've met have possessed numerous degrees. Book smart, sure...but intelligent? Far from it.
Old 26th February 2019, 10:26 AM   #17
Established Member

I can get along fine with anybody, but I'll say this: a good third to half of my job consists of dealing with people-with-PhDs screw-ups.
Old 26th February 2019, 10:38 AM   #18
Established Member

In the beginning of my work career, I used to have an "open door" policy and would talk to / help anyone who came into my office.

While working at a small company as a Controller, I attempted to help a high school dropout co-worker with some budgeting / planning advice, who wandered into my office seeking guidance. It all blew up in my face and I was vilified for even attempting to help (long story). I think if this individual had more of an education he would have been able to see my logic, instead of turning my suggestions into a personal attack.

After that, I changed to a "closed door" policy. Unless it was 100% work related (to my position) I wouldn't talk to anyone. That decision served me well the rest of my work career.

As for dating, I tend to get along better and have more fun with college educated women. I get easily bored with women who aren't college educated.
Old 26th February 2019, 10:50 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
you need all three to be really successful Rockdad
That depends.. define successful...

I employ both people with degrees and people without degrees and all are intelligent, smart and have good work ethics...
I'm only high school educated and I employ them and many others and my company is almost 40 years old now..
While at times I don't think I'm successful I am by many metrics.

When I was young I was considered smart and many times had trouble relating to people who didn't work in my industry and do the type of work I do and had to learn to dumb things down when talking about my work with people who didn't understand it.

I do think it depends on the type of job you have..ie: I doubt any non degree holding person is going to hold a candle to someone in the law business, those are degree type of jobs.

In my business we are a type of art, graphic design and many other layers of the art business including sign making and 3d modeling as well as retouching and I can tell you that an art degree from SCAD isn't going to make you better than someone who just has raw talent to paint or draw..

Many colleges today just take the parents money and pump out degreed kids that can't make it in the real world because they just don't have any real talent.
Old 26th February 2019, 10:54 AM   #20
Established Member

It doesnít matter when it comes to personal demeanor and topic of conversations, personal interactions in general. But when it comes to the job, the decision-making and the professional issues in the office, sometimes people without professional education overstep I think because they donít understand the principles and reasons for the hierarchy. They get fired. No conversation really. Just fired.
Old 26th February 2019, 11:31 AM   #21
Established Member

I like to think I can bond with pretty much anyone, but generally (obviously there are exceptions), I've found that many 40-something white guys without a college education tend to want to talk about sports, fishing/hunting, and conservative political talking points, and let's just say...those interest me zero percent.

I can still be pleasant, as can they, but the bond will be weaker, generally predicated on maybe discussing family/kids or a movie or something like that.

With my college-educated friends at work, we generally talk about current events, and we generally dive deeper into them, discussing pros/cons, implications, etc. It's just a much stronger intellectual bond.
Old 26th February 2019, 11:31 AM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamfana View Post
But when it comes to the job, the decision-making and the professional issues in the office, sometimes people without professional education overstep I think because they don’t understand the principles and reasons for the hierarchy.
IMO that kind of stuff is learned, even degrees can't give you on the job training.
I work in some of the largest companies that exist and I can assure you I don't over step myself when I'm working in the CEO of a 10 billion dollar company's personal office or when working in the hallways of a 5 billion dollar company and some guy comes up to me just to ask how I'm doing and has a few questions about what I'm doing, he looks just like me.. jeans and a polo but when he walks away I realize he was the CEO...

I learned that kind of decorum as that is something that can't be taught in a school...

I also learned that big companies not only have cameras and security on those corporate floors but also they record audio...
I watched someone or I should say I listened to someone talk about how much money this company had and they can afford this or that.. he was college educated.. he stopped getting anymore work from the company.
Old 26th February 2019, 11:34 AM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
That depends.. define successful...
I was just trying to say that people that are the most successful have all three qualities (education, experience, common sense)

- The Eagles
Old 26th February 2019, 1:03 PM   #24
Established Member

@OP, is this question for yourself in your new job?

If so, don't be concerned with others judging you one way or the other. If you keep professional and have sound boundaries, you'll likely be fine.

If you encounter either snobbery or inverted snobbery, shrug it off. These people are your colleagues, not your best friends.
Old 26th February 2019, 2:38 PM   #25
Established Member

I agree with you Alpha.
Old 26th February 2019, 8:17 PM   #26
Established Member

I've worked with tertiary educated people who are so incompetent I can't believe they got through university, and high school drop outs who have more nous than many university educated people I know. Level of education does not dictate how intelligent a person is, though it does dictate what jobs they can apply for and fulfill satisfactorily in many industries and professions. Likewise I know people who have travelled the world yet remain ignorant and judgmental, and people who have never left the small town they grew up in who are very worldly wise and charitable of outlook.
It simply depends on the individual. You don't need a college degree to observe the world around you and have an informed opinion on it.
Old 26th February 2019, 10:06 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamfana View Post
But when it comes to the job, the decision-making and the professional issues in the office, sometimes people without professional education overstep I think because they donít understand the principles and reasons for the hierarchy.
If I could expand upon your post... I agree and don't think the (non college educated) individuals understand the logic involved with some the decisions being made either.

College teaches you to think in a different way and to utilize logic in that thinking process.

Just my two cents...
Old 27th February 2019, 9:36 AM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lemming View Post
If I could expand upon your post... I agree and don't think the (non college educated) individuals understand the logic involved with some the decisions being made either.

College teaches you to think in a different way and to utilize logic in that thinking process.

Just my two cents...
Yeah, and if they resist once it's explained- or worse yet, argue about it, though that's a personality issue not an education issue- you can't afford to keep them. It's only happened 3 times in 25 years for me, but a jaw-dropper each time.
Old 1st March 2019, 1:08 AM   #29
Established Member

I certainly didn't go to Princeton....but my accountant did... (true!)

I have clients that run the gamut from HS dropouts and convicted felons, to high powered CEO's, surgeons, etc...The common thread is that most of them are hugely successful in their own right....

There is no "superior", in my eyes anyway...they all bring a different skill set that is impressive in its own right...

There are career students with multiple degrees that can't operate a motor vehicle properly while there are others with limited education that soar above everyone else..

Also, don't discount those that bypassed college, because quite frankly it was a waste of time and money for them...Kinda like Bill Gates...

TFY