LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Employee too concerned with what i am doing and they report to me. Help!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th December 2018, 12:13 AM   #16
Established Member

Some of your options are based on your authority as a 1st line supervisor. It is not uncommon not to authorize 1st line supervisors to fire people. Just about all first line supervisors are authorized to suspend an employee pending a disciplinary decision by higher management.

The reason for this is warranted. Most 1st line supervisors are not trained in labor law. What you may see is a clear case to terminate an employee may be seen as a potential law suit by your HR manager. If you catch employees stealing, reporting to work drunk or on drugs, engaging in sexual conduct or sexual harassment, or other severe violations of company policy, you generally have the authority to send the employee home. You also are responsible to document the cause for your decision.

Lesson #1 of management, if you are having a disiplinary meeting with an wmployee, have a reliable witness. Ideally your boss.
Simple Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 2:04 AM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Logic View Post
Some of your options are based on your authority as a 1st line supervisor. It is not uncommon not to authorize 1st line supervisors to fire people. Just about all first line supervisors are authorized to suspend an employee pending a disciplinary decision by higher management.

The reason for this is warranted. Most 1st line supervisors are not trained in labor law. What you may see is a clear case to terminate an employee may be seen as a potential law suit by your HR manager. If you catch employees stealing, reporting to work drunk or on drugs, engaging in sexual conduct or sexual harassment, or other severe violations of company policy, you generally have the authority to send the employee home. You also are responsible to document the cause for your decision.

Lesson #1 of management, if you are having a disiplinary meeting with an wmployee, have a reliable witness. Ideally your boss.
Having a witness is something I used often while I was a manager, as well as documenting. However, when a company is an 'at will' company, lawsuits are much less of a concern. And 'at will' is extremely common nowadays. It means a company can terminate an employee for any reason or no reason. Not giving a manager the authority to hire and fire is a form of tying their hands. It's not a great idea.
bathtub-row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 2:56 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingu View Post
Just a question then. Is it ok for me to have 2 hours sleep last night because I was screamed at and I am being bullied on a daily basis. This has been going on for 10 months now.
You're not losing sleep over being screamed at, you're losing sleep over not having a solution to being screamed at.

Management is a skill, leadership is an art. Both can be learned, developed and enhanced, just as you can lower your half-marathon time or build your number of Twitter followers.

missingu, if your having problems with your entire staff, the issue isn't with them...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 9:00 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
You're not losing sleep over being screamed at, you're losing sleep over not having a solution to being screamed at.

Management is a skill, leadership is an art. Both can be learned, developed and enhanced, just as you can lower your half-marathon time or build your number of Twitter followers.

missingu, if your having problems with your entire staff, the issue isn't with them...

Mr. Lucky

Mr lucky sorry you must have misunderstood me, it's not the entire staff, it's a select few. I have staff who were witnesses and backed up that what I said was and has been happening was true. I have staff who are great workers and will do anything I ask without a complaint.

I had a meeting with management and they told me they support me 100%. They told me they took care of the issue and I shouldn't have any further issues and if we do then they will be on the verge of being sacked.

I am very happy with the outcome currently as today I didn't have a single issue. Everyone had their heads down and were actually working compared to stopping and standing in the corner talking in a group.

I had never taken anyone in the office before for anything and I was told by my management that I should , and I finally got the courage to do it.

I have been putting up with bad behaviour for way too long and am glad I nipped it in the bud.
missingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 9:22 AM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathtub-row View Post
Having a witness is something I used often while I was a manager, as well as documenting. However, when a company is an 'at will' company, lawsuits are much less of a concern. And 'at will' is extremely common nowadays. It means a company can terminate an employee for any reason or no reason. Not giving a manager the authority to hire and fire is a form of tying their hands. It's not a great idea.
So as A first line manger, the person earning $2000 more a year than the people you supervise, you believe you should have the authority to fire your whole staff and hire all new employees or add 25 additional employees if you believe you need more help? Not at my company, go work else where.
Simple Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 9:28 AM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathtub-row View Post
I spoke to that person privately in my office afterwards and she continued to argue vehemently. My decision about the issue at-hand was based on a directive from the corporate office so I wasn't able to change my decision, nor did I plan to. She wasn't seeing the big picture, no matter how many different ways I explained it to her. When an employee isn't in a decision-making position, there's a limit to how much they get to argue with the boss before they lose their job. That's just common sense. There was nothing injudicious about my decision. It was also backed by my boss and the president of the company.

After she was terminated, my team told me that I absolutely did the right thing. They said they had become very uncomfortable with the level of disrespect the person was showing me in the meeting and said they couldn't believe I tolerated it. I had warned her over and over but she persisted. It wasn't like it was the first time she was a problem but it was the first time she was that pushy. Yes, she deserved to be terminated.
Ah that paints a bit of a different picture then to how you initially described it- if someone has been pulled aside and is still continuing to be belligerent then they are painting a target on their own back and can't be surprised if it costs them their job. They do however deserve to have that chance to realise that, whatever the merits of their argument, they need to let it go and get on with the job which appears to have happened in this case.
some_username1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 12:15 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
So as A first line manger, the person earning $2000 more a year than the people you supervise, you believe you should have the authority to fire your whole staff and hire all new employees or add 25 additional employees if you believe you need more help? Not at my company, go work else where.
If you have a manager obtuse enough to decimate the entire function of the company by firing everyone at once, then that would be the last time that happened because I would hope you’d fire such an incompetent manager. And I’d hope you’d never hire someone that lame to start with.

I probably made about $10k/yr more than the people working under me. But I think that if a manager doesn’t have the authority to fire and hire, then that person isn’t anything more than an assistant.
Old 5th December 2018, 12:23 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_username1 View Post
Ah that paints a bit of a different picture then to how you initially described it- if someone has been pulled aside and is still continuing to be belligerent then they are painting a target on their own back and can't be surprised if it costs them their job. They do however deserve to have that chance to realise that, whatever the merits of their argument, they need to let it go and get on with the job which appears to have happened in this case.
Yeah, I had forgotten about that until I started responding to your post. I talked to her, she was still belligerent about it and that was the end of the line. I can’t even remember what she was so pissed about. She sucked up to me a lot and I think she was trying to prove to the others that she could convince me to change my mind.
Old 5th December 2018, 12:31 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
Ok, I see what you’re saying. You know, everything went through Corp before a move was made so even though I interviewed and made the decision to hire that person or not, corp approved it first and ran a background check on them. So, yeah, I think we’re talking about two different things here. Even my immediate boss who was the highest in the branch had to ok any hiring through Corp.

As far as firing, of course anything I did had to be answered for and if that answer wasn’t a good one, I’m sure I would’ve heard about it. The majority of the time, I let my superiors know what I was doing before I did it. But insubordination wasn’t something they expected me to tolerate.
Old 5th December 2018, 12:50 PM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
I had never taken anyone in the office before for anything and I was told by my management that I should , and I finally got the courage to do it.

I have been putting up with bad behaviour for way too long and am glad I nipped it in the bud.
An important first step, glad you've taken it. Again, you'd be well served to avail yourself of some of the business and management knowledge out there, in Internet or book form. A night or online Business class is also a nice thing to have on your resume...

Mr. Lucky
Old 5th December 2018, 1:13 PM   #26
Established Member

I'm glad things worked out for the time being. Hope it lasts. There are always a couple of people trying to pull a coup to gain power for themselves. I hate those people. They can work like I did and earn the position.
Old 5th December 2018, 4:15 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Mr lucky sorry you must have misunderstood me, it's not the entire staff, it's a select few. I have staff who were witnesses and backed up that what I said was and has been happening was true. I have staff who are great workers and will do anything I ask without a complaint.

I had a meeting with management and they told me they support me 100%. They told me they took care of the issue and I shouldn't have any further issues and if we do then they will be on the verge of being sacked.

I am very happy with the outcome currently as today I didn't have a single issue. Everyone had their heads down and were actually working compared to stopping and standing in the corner talking in a group.

I think you definitely have to address bad behavior, but I wouldn't rely on your title. I would see this as an opportunity to reset the relationship and communicate more openly with them. On one hand you lay out clear expectations for performance and behavior, but on the other hand, you communicate to them that you genuinely want to help them grow and become better as well. Don't just lead by titular authority, lead by example as well.
Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 1:13 PM   #28
Established Member

Missingu, it would be beneficial to take the time to observe each of your team members in order to evaluate in which ways they most benefit your company.

For example, Tom is an extrovert who may work in short bursts but in that, generates sales/profit. Joan is a skilled multitasker who while somewhat introverted, can accomplish several tedious tasks within short hours.

Typically, people who feel valued and are let to do what they are good at are less likely to scream at their superiors. Screaming at supervisors is usually an automatic let go and the screamer is fully aware of the possible consequence. It means they don't feel valued and have ceased to care. Short of a mental health crisis, it means that they are not being properly utilized within the team.
Productive professionals neither bully or scream.

You've received good advice from posters to continue to brush up on your managerial skills. It is an acquired skill and I'm sure you will get there with active listening and experience.

Good luck!

Last edited by Timshel; 8th December 2018 at 1:16 PM..
Timshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 9:14 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
Missingu, it would be beneficial to take the time to observe each of your team members in order to evaluate in which ways they most benefit your company.

For example, Tom is an extrovert who may work in short bursts but in that, generates sales/profit. Joan is a skilled multitasker who while somewhat introverted, can accomplish several tedious tasks within short hours.

Typically, people who feel valued and are let to do what they are good at are less likely to scream at their superiors. Screaming at supervisors is usually an automatic let go and the screamer is fully aware of the possible consequence. It means they don't feel valued and have ceased to care. Short of a mental health crisis, it means that they are not being properly utilized within the team.
Productive professionals neither bully or scream.

You've received good advice from posters to continue to brush up on your managerial skills. It is an acquired skill and I'm sure you will get there with active listening and experience.

Good luck!
Yes I agree. I have told all my bosses I want to cross train people to do different jobs. The problem is I get a whole lot of attitude from people who just want to do the bare minimum. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. If i get them to learn something different then they bitch And if I just have,them do,the same thing all day they bitch.

They watch me and what I'm doing and then they ask my bosses what I'm doing and why can't the other leader do it instead. In other words why am i always on the computer and my colleague is always on the floor.

My colleague and I have discussed this and he likes the floor and when our supervisor is not there I must be at the computer to do everything. Bookings and stocktake and just be there if anyone needs anything. A lot of the time it is so busy that I need to help out my boss but they dont see that.

I'm so sick and tired of employees thinking that they have a right to know what I'm doing and i am their boss.

I'm the one who is there for all the long hours, at times without a break. I am the one who locks up. I am the one who fixes all of their problems. I am the one who makes sure the product is distributed to the right places and on time.

I just wish they would do their jobs and go home, instead of gossiping and bitching all day. But I have no doubt it's the same everywhere you go.
missingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 6:53 AM   #30
Established Member

Quote:

I just wish they would do their jobs and go home, instead of gossiping and bitching all day. But I have no doubt it's the same everywhere you go.
Do these employees do anything good and/or productive during the day? If so, what efforts do you make to recognize and reinforce that behavior?

Sounds like a very negative atmosphere. My first goal would be changing that dynamic...

Mr. Lucky