LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

My girlfriend wants 50% of my business


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree48Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2019, 6:53 PM   #46
Established Member
 
bathtub-row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneL View Post
Jeff Bezos is currenting dating a woman whom he met for doing some aerial photography for his business. Imagine this woman tells Bezos that, since she’s putting so much time and effort into helping his biz and since she is the gf, she is entitled to 50% of Bezos Amazon stocks.
And, better yet, imagine that he listened to that BS, offered her 40% of the company, and she turned him down. 😂
bathtub-row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 7:30 PM   #47
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatroomHero View Post
I am not sure why you would think any woman "who believes in equality" would think investing $300 versus $ thousands would find that to be equal. In fact, it is the very definition of inequality. That would mean she wants an equal outcome for an unequal effort and risk. It doesn't work like that when it's your own money and livelihood is on the line.
I guess some are more equal than others ...
AMarriedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 7:40 PM   #48
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post
I already said if you look at the numbers they do not stack up and she has no case, but this is not only a business arrangement, this is a relationship.
It is not really just about money. This is about their life moving forward.
He thus has to decide whether he wants to put his faith into the relationship or not, as I guess no 50%, no relationship.
It'll be a relationship where he risks a great deal and she risks nothing. Their life will be moving in a totally wrong way if this a precedent for future risk division. OP's GF seems like a very entitled woman.
AMarriedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 7:48 PM   #49
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPerez2781 View Post
Both My girlfriend and I are artists. I have been an artist for over 13 years, I have a full-time job as a paralegal, on the side I paint, am the curator of a art gallery, sell my work, and have made quite a name for myself locally. My dream has always been to quit my fulltime job and start up my own art gallery and live life as an artist.

[...]

I will be coming into some retirement money and will be using it all to purchase the building, construction etc. and she will be helping with her ideas and physical efforts around the gallery. Just recently we got into an argument because she brought up the fact that so wanted to be a 50% partner (on paper) in the business because she feels that she will be putting her heart, soul, efforts and time into the business. Is it fair for her to ask for that? And is it wrong or selfish of me to not want to do that? I feel that we both will be benefiting off of the business, especially since she does not work and continue to be a full-time artist through the gallery. But I feel I have more to lose if for any reason we were to break up.

She is making me feel guilty because she is now saying that I do not trust her and that she will be making a sacrifice living in the gallery with me until the business gets on its feet. I don't feel that I need a business partner but at the same time I do want her help. What should I do?
Parasites excel at guilt-tripping. You're already paying nearly all the bills and are planning to put in your RETIREMENT MONEY!!! Your GF is living her dream being a full-time artist while you have a full-time job as a paralegal. Now she wants 50% of the business venture, too! You are dreaming of becoming a full-time artist and gallerist yourself. Never give up for your dreams for some entitled, greedy and selfish woman!
AMarriedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 8:10 PM   #50
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 368
You girlfriend sounds like she's looking to ride your coat tails. If you're at retirement age I'll assume she's either the same age or within 10 - 15 years of you. If, at that age, all she's got to contribute is a paltry $300, that's not so much input into overheads as an investment in manipulating you. You say "if for any reason we break up" which means that you know this WILL happen at some stage. Get someone else to help you if you really need help, but don't let an attractive freeloader spoil your retirement plan.
MsJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 8:54 PM   #51
Established Member
 
darkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post
I know if we tot up pure figures then she has no case, but this is also a relationship and I can kind of see her point.
She doesn't want to be at a disadvantage - "the junior partner", the 40% stake, the one with little or no say in the business, the one who has always has to defer to you.
Whilst that situation may be fine for more "traditional" women, it is probably not a dynamic that any woman who believes in equality would like to be in.

if it was two platonic friends, two equals, in the picture ... the one wanting 50% would have a cheek expecting it to be handed over, to expect her life to be funded, after just 18 months ... I have a friend who funds me a bit, but we have known each other 40 years

Last edited by darkmoon; 21st February 2019 at 9:04 PM..
darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 9:43 PM   #52
Established Member
 
todreaminblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: down under
Posts: 15,093
no i dont think it fair at all for her to expect 50 per cent "on paper"...i feel that you should work out a budget where the bills at home are shared equally...and what others have suggested about paying her a salary seems fair enough for her time.....her energy.....its nice she can be a struggling artist without the struggle of finances...but in reality as i tell my daughters and my sons.....life isnt a free ride.....relationship....marriage...boyfriend/girlfriend.....single....you pay or put in for your ticket to ride......builds character and life experience......the struggle is real....why should someone else struggle for her.....she should put in....even if you were to marry...no difference.....

i do know money...changes people.....changes dynamics in relationships....being a business partner and an intimate partner....is a difficult situation....especially when that business partnership is only recognised on paper and no security with a marriage on paper behind it...she can leave at any time she chooses...with half your retirement.....hence...the unfairness...you are a paralegal and would know whats right to do ...use your studies to make your appropriate business decisions..as in wages and salaries etc...your brain...and not your heart....if you feel you cant do that keep your heart in check hire a business adviser or seek a free advisory organisation and or lawyer of your own....deb
__________________
Captive with chains held unbroken, in my fists
born by the lips i lose and lips that I've kissed.....

Last edited by todreaminblue; 21st February 2019 at 9:47 PM..
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 5:59 PM   #53
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post
I already said if you look at the numbers they do not stack up and she has no case, but this is not only a business arrangement, this is a relationship.
It is not really just about money. This is about their life moving forward.
He thus has to decide whether he wants to put his faith into the relationship or not, as I guess no 50%, no relationship.


So he has to pay 10s of thousands for the honor of keeping her company? I think there's a term for that.


I mean, if you are dating a guy and think it is starting to get serious, do you ever feel the need to put his name on the deed to your house so he feels equal and you can keep him around? I don't quite see how faith in a relationship means putting up 1/2 your assets and future income potentially for life, to someone that doesn't have a pot to p*ss in. How would his gf "show her faith" equally in return, exactly?


I understand you are saying that OPs relationship with his gf may come down to giving her 50% or her leaving (she won't, she needs someone to pay her bills and let her live the easy life), but defending it as a woman that believes in equality would never accept less than 50% is just so odd and entitled it boggles the mind. OPs gf is not asking for "equality". She is asking for a handout.
ChatroomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My business partner said he wants to kill me. jtnc2012 Business and Professional Relationships 1 6th April 2012 1:46 AM
Dumped: She wants to focus on her business jackmerridew Breaks and Breaking Up 1 17th December 2011 1:25 AM
How can I turn a business meeting into more than a business meeting?? JerryS Business and Professional Relationships 3 16th March 2011 11:58 PM
any of u guys business majors here or done schooling in business. well my folks were joel In Search Of... 2 4th January 2007 1:05 AM
Wife wants access to Confidential Business materials--I've signed Confidentiality Ags Craig Marriage & Life Partnerships 22 1st August 2004 5:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 5:24 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.