Take it or keep looking

I was hired at a certain pay grade. The organization did a re-evaluation of the classification of different jobs, mine being one. They realized I was hired at a higher pay than the position allows. So even though my duties stay the same, the are moving the pay down a scale. I have "safe pay", meaning my pay will stay the same for a year.

So I need to find something that pays what I need to make or in a year I take a pay cut. My boss is trying to argue against it or find an equal position in the organization but I don't have much faith or indication that will actually happen, or happen within the time frame I need it to.

I've been applying the past 6 months. A couple interviews. Just got an offer but don't really want to take it. The commute is longer, the responsibility is greater (more supervisory), it's kind of niche and won't make me more marketable anywhere other than at this location, and it's for a lateral pay, maybe $1-2k more a year, which will just go to gas.

But there's no guarantee of anything else on the horizon and will at least guarantee me safety from the impending pay cut.

Thoughts?

Just got an offer but don't really want to take it. The commute is longer, the responsibility is greater (more supervisory), it's kind of niche and won't make me more marketable anywhere other than at this location, and it's for a lateral pay, maybe $1-2k more a year, which will just go to gas.

I wouldn't take it. Since you have a year, I'd hold out for better offer, both financially and logistically.

I was hired at a certain pay grade. The organization did a re-evaluation of the classification of different jobs, mine being one. They realized I was hired at a higher pay than the position allows. So even though my duties stay the same, the are moving the pay down a scale.

Boy, that's cold. And companies wonder why employees aren't more loyal and team-oriented...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

Can they legally drop your wage without your consent? Different rules for different counties etc. You have a union or an employment contract that can help?

I assume you are in N.A. as you say "which will just go to gas."

Step up your job search but keep the faith that your boss will come through. Also come up with good concrete unassailable reasons why you are worth the pay you were hired at.

• Author

Thanks for confirming my gut response. Accepting this offer would have been primarily a fear based decision, and I know thats usually not the best path.