LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Taking kids on a business trip?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2019, 6:40 AM   #1
Established Member

Taking kids on a business trip?

I have a week long business trip to another country next month that I have to go on.

I'm thinking of bringing my daughter with me. They have a really good daycare center at the place we'd be staying, she would do her schoolwork there while I'm in meetings and conferences during the first half of the day and then we could spend the rest of the day together exploring and seeing new things.

I've never been away from her for a whole week, plus I think it would be a really nice experience for her.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it actually harder than it seems and am I setting myself up for a total disaster?
noelle303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 8:46 AM   #2
Established Member

I think it sounds like an amazing idea!
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle303 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it actually harder than it seems and am I setting myself up for a total disaster?
If I recall correctly, your daughter isn't a toddler, closer to pre-teen?

I've done this many times, but my wife was the "daycare". Just make sure you're careful about the accounting, sounds like a great way to see a new place...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 3:15 PM   #4
Established Member

Sounds like a great idea, I would probably do the same thing with my daughter. Just one (big) concern: can you trust this daycare place? Thatís the only thing Iíd be concerned about, I never know if you can trust those hotel/resort daycares but then again Iíve never used one myself.
Malin889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 4:30 PM   #5
Established Member

It depends on what happens on business trips. Like all the ones I've been on, our time was scheduled not just during the day but entertainment at night, and NO, kids were not welcome.

On the other hand, if this is a trip where you're alone and YOU have total control over your schedule and don't have any obligations to entertain at night or whatever and are not staying with other business clients or coemployees at the same hotel, then fine. No one should know about it though. Don't try to bring her if there's other employees at the hotel or business clients. It's unprofessional and will be talked about.

The only time I ever knew anyone who brought a child on a business trip, he owned the company and was traveling with me, a young devastatingly attractive temptress, and I bet his wife insisted....We did not stay at the same hotel. He rented me a convertible and a hotel on Malibu Beach. Only saw him at one event and on the way to and from on the plane.

Last edited by preraph; 17th February 2019 at 4:34 PM..
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 5:35 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
If I recall correctly, your daughter isn't a toddler, closer to pre-teen?
Yes, she'll be 8 in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malin889 View Post
Sounds like a great idea, I would probably do the same thing with my daughter. Just one (big) concern: can you trust this daycare place? Thatís the only thing Iíd be concerned about, I never know if you can trust those hotel/resort daycares but then again Iíve never used one myself.
I mean, it's a really good hotel, I'm guessing they have a good daycare service? I don't expect many kids to be there and my daughter will mostly be doing schoolwork there and be looked after, she's fairly independent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
It depends on what happens on business trips. Like all the ones I've been on, our time was scheduled not just during the day but entertainment at night, and NO, kids were not welcome.

On the other hand, if this is a trip where you're alone and YOU have total control over your schedule and don't have any obligations to entertain at night or whatever and are not staying with other business clients or coemployees at the same hotel, then fine. No one should know about it though. Don't try to bring her if there's other employees at the hotel or business clients. It's unprofessional and will be talked about.

The only time I ever knew anyone who brought a child on a business trip, he owned the company and was traveling with me, a young devastatingly attractive temptress, and I bet his wife insisted....We did not stay at the same hotel. He rented me a convertible and a hotel on Malibu Beach. Only saw him at one event and on the way to and from on the plane.
I actually will be with two other co-workers of mine, but no clients. Is it really seen as unprofessional?

I'm guessing there may be some entertainment at night, but nothing mandatory or scheduled, so I'm not in any way obligated to be there. My job isn't really about networking or anything like that.
Old 18th February 2019, 7:03 PM   #7
Established Member

I think so, yes. It's a business trip. Do you have a boss? If so, ask if it's allowed. Maybe if they have kids, they'll be sympathetic. For example, you're already talking about ducking out of the entertainment at night, and companies do that to build rapport with their customers, so you shouldn't do that. You should be there for it, just you.
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 9:58 PM   #8
Established Member

Important part of those trips are also hanging out at night and bonding with your colleagues. I donít understand why you just donít take your kid on a holiday later.
Old 19th February 2019, 10:59 AM   #9
Established Member

Personally, I would think it was unprofessional if a colleague brought their kid with them on a business trip.

However, I think it also depends on the purpose of the trip, your colleague's
and boss's expectations, and the culture at your company. Is this something others have done? It seems like you should be at least socializing or attending some of the evening events (even if just dinner with your colleagues) and not just skipping out on them to be with your child every night.
Old 20th February 2019, 6:59 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
I think so, yes. It's a business trip. Do you have a boss? If so, ask if it's allowed. Maybe if they have kids, they'll be sympathetic. For example, you're already talking about ducking out of the entertainment at night, and companies do that to build rapport with their customers, so you shouldn't do that. You should be there for it, just you.
Well, I kind of am the boss. I do have higher ups, but I currently run my department and me and two other colleagues who also run their departments are going to one of our international units for certain meetings.

The trip is planned and organized by us and the people in the international office. So technically, I don't need to run it past anyone, especially since I would be paying for my daughter's plane ticket and hotel stay.

Again, there will be no customers or clients, just us and I don't really see a need for any networking or socializing, we're there purely for business.

I mean, I don't really see a need to bond with my co-workers at night and drinking, I find that to be a little bit unprofessional. I'd rather be with my daughter.
Old 20th February 2019, 7:41 PM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle303 View Post
I've never been away from her for a whole week.....
I'm getting the impression that this is the REAL motivation for you thinking that taking your kid on a business trip with you is a good idea. Jeez, it ONE week, not a year. You'll survive.

I completely agree with Clia - that's as unprofessional as it gets.
Mrs._December is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 9:38 PM   #12
Established Member

I used to go on business trips with my father when I was roughly the same age, he used to travel around the country to visit the stores he managed, I used to go along for the ride and wait in the car when he was busy with his store owners. It was great! His boss knew and didn't mind at all.
mrs rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 6:52 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs._December View Post
I'm getting the impression that this is the REAL motivation for you thinking that taking your kid on a business trip with you is a good idea. Jeez, it ONE week, not a year. You'll survive.

I completely agree with Clia - that's as unprofessional as it gets.
It's part of the reason, yes.

I mean, my co-workers will barely even see her, I'm not taking her to work with me, she'd be in daycare while we are in meetings and working, and when we're finished we'll have the rest of the time off. They may plan dinners or drinks, but purely to entertain themselves, it's nothing I have to attend or benefit from attending.
Old 21st February 2019, 7:05 PM   #14
Established Member

While this sounds great on paper, stuff with kids very rarely pan out as you imagined, especially abroad.

Have you got a backup plan in case your daughter gets sick during a work meeting? Not saying she will, but you need to consider all options.
littleblackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 4:12 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackheart View Post
While this sounds great on paper, stuff with kids very rarely pan out as you imagined, especially abroad.

Have you got a backup plan in case your daughter gets sick during a work meeting? Not saying she will, but you need to consider all options.
I guess that's the only thing I'm worried about, but she is hardly ever sick so I doubt that she'll suddenly get sick now. Plus, even if she got sick at home and I'm in another country, I'd probably go crazy with worry.