Apprenticeship to full-time job

JustGettingBy

Hello LS. Long time no see.

I'm currently an apprentice at a company that I really like and its within my field. I enjoy the work, am mentored well by the boss, I like the workplace culture, the office is in a good location, etc. I feel like when the apprenticeship is over, I would love to work here. I was wondering how to bring this to the attention of the employee who's overseeing the apprenticeship (the company president). Should I ask if there's interest in them hiring me when its done, state my interest in the company, or something else?

Thanks.

You've skipped over one very important thing - how have you performed? Completed all the tasks assigned you? Been on time every day for work, haven't missed any days? Gone above and beyond when needed? Stayed off your cellphone and avoided the other modern pitfalls?

Many companies use one or more apprentices every year so you'd want to make sure you were top of class. If all that is in play, nothing wrong with having a copy of your resume ready and presenting it at the end of your time. Though he didn't accept it, my son was offered a position by the finance firm at which he did his apprenticeship. Hope it goes well for you...

Mr. Lucky

• Author
JustGettingBy
You've skipped over one very important thing - how have you performed? Completed all the tasks assigned you? Been on time every day for work, haven't missed any days? Gone above and beyond when needed? Stayed off your cellphone and avoided the other modern pitfalls?

Many companies use one or more apprentices every year so you'd want to make sure you were top of class. If all that is in play, nothing wrong with having a copy of your resume ready and presenting it at the end of your time. Though he didn't accept it, my son was offered a position by the finance firm at which he did his apprenticeship. Hope it goes well for you...

Mr. Lucky

Completed all assignments? Check. The company president has been very impressed.

On time every day? Check

Gone above and beyond? Check. I've thought of things that even people with almost a decade of experience hadn't thought of, and my ideas will be implemented.

Stayed focused? Check.

-----------------------

Also, I'm the 'project leader' of the thing myself and the other apprentices are working on, so I'm also the apprentice who would 'rank' the highest so to speak.

Edited by JustGettingBy
forgot something. Everything above the -------- is new

Then it seems you're well positioned, assuming an opening. I'd wait until the end of term and have an honest discussion with them about your interest. Given your accomplishments, they may approach you...

Mr. Lucky

You can lay the groundwork by informal remarks to the employee of the organization on a regular basis.

And by having conversations with them about what THEY like about working there, etc.

Ask more about the company culture, how they retain employees, do they do a lot of mentoring once you are a full time employee, how does that employee feel about the organization overall, etc.

No need to be shy about the fact that you like the organization and would be interested in a full time, permanent opportunity.

Let anyone know who will listen, but you need to find out what the intern/apprentice tradition is there. Some companies never plan to hire interns/apprentices and only use them if they're free. I would say at some point, go to HR and get an application and try to do it when the timing is right and fill it out and turn it in to whoever your super is. It depends on the industry, but in some, once you've worked for free, it's hard to get paid for it. I'm hoping you're a paid apprentice, though. Intern and apprentice are slightly different and apprentices more likely to be paid, as I understand. Interns usually get school credits.