How long is too long to be at a job?

Happy Lemming

I had always heard to change jobs every 3 - 5 years, which I did through out my career.

My last job (prior to retirement) I was there for almost 8 years, but I was planning my retirement, so I wasn't worried about the effect it would have on my resume'.

Just my two cents...

• Author
Joyce Simmons

I’ve been at my job for almost 9 years, and I’m just sick of the environment, the co workers, just a drag to be there. Not sure if that’s a silly reason to leave a job

I had always heard to change jobs every 3 - 5 years, which I did through out my career.

I think it depends on the field. I did some job hopping early in my career and came to feel it kept me from the kind of advancement up the ladder I was most interested in. So I tended after that to stay with each company as long as I was making progress. Now nearing retirement, I've been with my present employer 25+ years.

Joyce Simmons, are you career oriented or just looking to pay the bills?

Mr. Lucky

It depends. You may do better to switch every couple of years in jobs and industries (IT was this way for me, earlier in my career), whereas you may benefit more from longer periods with others. I think it depends mostly on how well the job fits you, and the opportunities to advance if you wish to.

Switching often may lead to a faster rise in salary - if you are worth it. However, you may start over each time in terms of the amount of paid time off you get, or how fast it increases with longevity at a company.

You have to consider happiness, career growth, and the appeal of various benefits offered, to decide. I used to switch often, but have been with the same company these past 13 years, because I'm looking to retirement next year, and don't need new challenges - even if I could get paid more.

• Author
Joyce Simmons
I think it depends on the field. I did some job hopping early in my career and came to feel it kept me from the kind of advancement up the ladder I was most interested in. So I tended after that to stay with each company as long as I was making progress. Now nearing retirement, I've been with my present employer 25+ years.

Joyce Simmons, are you career oriented or just looking to pay the bills?

Mr. Lucky

just to pay bills.

The question is you are spending a big fraction of your life in the job. Why pick a job you dislike?

Eternal Sunshine

I tend to revise at 4-5 years mark. I want a career, not just a job. In the job I just left, I was promoted once (at 1.5 years mark) and didn't see any way of getting promoted again. The structure was not set up in that way.

So I went to a much larger company, with higher salary and much more room for advancement. We will see how that goes.

I don't like switching jobs often. In my field "learning time" can be 6 months to 1 year and I have to put a lot of effort and time at the start.

In any case, I want some kind of upward movement in 4-5 years time or I will move on and get it that way.

just to pay bills.

Then, especially given your dissatisfaction with your present situation, I'd follow the best combination of wages and benefits. And keep your resume out there, working the job sites...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

Prior to my current job I tended to switch jobs every 2 - 5 years mostly because those jobs had limited opportunities for advancement. Now I've been at my current place of employment for 11 years and I'm hoping to stay there until retirement. It helps that I love what I do and that the company does enable people to advance and learn new things.

If you're in a position that offers no opportunities for advancement or change and you go to work everyday filled with misery at having to spend another day at a job you hate then it's definitely time to go. Work takes up a huge chunk of our lives and if it's making you miserable that's no way to live. However you do want to take everything into consideration and really weigh all the pros and cons. As much as I like my job, I've gone through short periods of feeling unhappy and wondering if I should leave, but I've knuckled through those times and always wound up glad that I didn't throw in the towel.

I’ve been at my job for almost 9 years, and I’m just sick of the environment, the co workers, just a drag to be there. Not sure if that’s a silly reason to leave a job

The days of lifetime loyalty that goes both ways are over.

If you are miserable, after 9 years I think a change will do you good.

Like others have said - it really depends.

If its "just a job" and you do not enjoy it there, I say leave.

Personally, I just had my 15 year anniversary with my company.

I have been with them through moves (they always made a spot for me in my new city). I earn 4 times as much as when I started. I have enjoyed a number of promotions and ever increasing status within the company.

Staying put has served me well - Any time there has been a shake up, I have been given incentives to stay without asking (remote office, raise, assistant etc).

But it depends on the industry. Ask most of the Techie's around here, and they seem to think 3 years at the same place is an eternity.

Course on the other hand my friend who has stuck with Google for the past 15+ years is just raking in it these days - again, depends on the company, your fit there, room for advancement etc.

You sound like you’re not happy there. How is the job itself, taking away the co-workers and the environment? And no that’s not a silly reason to leave. 9 years is a long time to be at a job.

No one can answer this question or understand you without more details about the job, etc. There are no rules. Ten years or 1 year? It all depends.

The rules have changed from when I was in mid-career (retired now).

Used to be that if you didn't stay at a job for two years or more, you'd get branded as a "job-hopper".

But things seem to be different now. Now, if you're not changing jobs every year or two, you're considered "comfortable" and in danger of becoming stale.

Benefits to changing jobs frequently is that you're more likely to earn more. Sticking with one company might mean annual raises of 2 to 3%, which is basically nothing. Jumping ship to a better position, with a signing bonus, is a good way to raise your income. And, of course, you learn more, make more connections and get more experience.

Downside is that there are some employers who will refrain from even looking at your application if you've been moving around a lot. (That's the kind of mind-set commonplace in HR departments, which generally aren't the sharpest in the bunch.)

Now, you say you've been on the job with the same firm for 9 years. Newsflash: it ain't gonna get any better.