Did the security guard purposely ignore me?

Yesterday the head security guard was walking around the department and had a farewell card for people to sign since someone was retiring. I sit in a cubicle-and there is a person sitting like every other desk. There are only 3 people that sit in my aisle. Anyway, yesterday I noticed he went to the co-worker sitting behind me-she's more of a higher end person, an assistant and not in my department and he gave her a card to sign. Then, he walked to the other side of aisle -like across from where I'm sitting and gave them the card to sign-and those are my co-workers in my department. Then another person was talking to the assistant and he gave him the card to sign. I thought no big deal, it was during lunchtime and he was probably in the area and wanted to get some signatures for the card. Then this morning, he came back to my department-on the other side of the room and was having them sign the card, the co-worker that was sitting NEXT to me, not exactly next to me, but there is an empty desk between us, the guard went to him and asked if he "signed the card." Well, he was at lunch yesterday, I figured he wouldn't even give him the card to sign since he wasn't at his desk and wouldn't have noticed him missing yesterday. Then I saw that everyone else signed the card but me. He CLEARLY saw me sitting at my desk yesterday and this morning and pretty sure he saw me as he was giving the card to my co-worker who happened to be sitting right next to me. I'm like WTF? Why did he totally pass on me of not signing the card? I don't think it was my job to get up and tell him that I didn't sign the card while everyone else was at their desk working and he was approaching them at their desk. I know the security guard, I've had a few interactions with him in the past and did small talk. so not sure what his problem is.

Now, you may say, that he didn't "owe" me anything like what people usually say. It made me feel like I was being left out, it was almost like if someone at work had a meeting and they purposely left you out! It may not be direct bullying, but its bullying when someone at work just leaves you out and doesn't include you with the team, when EVERYONE else in the department was included but me.

Edited by Dodgersfan11

Unless you had some unfriendly interactions with him in the past, or issues of some sort, I doubt he left you out consciously. Maybe he simply forgot, or overlooked you. Maybe he’s closer to the other people working there, and/or maybe you’re “new”, so he doesn’t know how to interact with you? It’s probably his issue, and has little to nothing to do with you.

• Author
Unless you had some unfriendly interactions with him in the past, or issues of some sort, I doubt he left you out consciously. Maybe he simply forgot, or overlooked you. Maybe he’s closer to the other people working there, and/or maybe you’re “new”, so he doesn’t know how to interact with you? It’s probably his issue, and has little to nothing to do with you.

I'm not a "new" coworker. I've worked at the company for about more than 10 years, so has he almost-maybe even longer than me. But what does not knowing how to interact with someone have anything to do? I mean, he was going desk to desk practically.

I'm not a "new" coworker. I've worked at the company for about more than 10 years, so has he almost-maybe even longer than me. But what does not knowing how to interact with someone have anything to do? I mean, he was going desk to desk practically.

I know he was. That’s what you said.

That’s why I’m thinking something must be bothering him about you. Or he simply didn’t notice you, or he thought you already signed (when he came back the 2nd time).

Happy Lemming

Think of it as a blessing in disguise...

Personally, I always hated signing those stupid birthday/leaving cards. I never know what to say, too much pressure to be witty and not offend someone.

Its similar to one company I worked at that had the "Secret Santa Gift Exchange" where you draw a name out of a hat. I always asked to be deleted from the gift exchange, as I always got crap or some re-gift from the person that got my name and I bought something nice for the person whose name I got.

Work is work, your co-workers are not your friends. You are there to trade your services for a paycheck. When I worked, I wanted the least interactions with my co-workers, as possible. No good can come of being too friendly with co-workers. In the end, they'll stab you in in the back to get ahead.

• Like 3
  • Author

I don't know, maybe he just doesn't "like" me. I don't have much interaction with him and I know there are other girls in my department that don't have interaction with him either, I mean, the don't chat it up with him on breaks, I know he's close with some other co workers in my department and even facebook friends with them.

Happy Lemming
I don't know, maybe he just doesn't "like" me.

When it comes to work, I ask myself two questions...

(1) Will this situation damage the continuity of my resume' or work recommendation for future jobs??

(2) Will this incident affect me in such a way that I will remember it five years from now??

This security guard has no input on your work or personnel jacket (permanent record). His opinion of you means nothing.

Five years from now I doubt you'll remember his name, much less that he did or didn't like you.

I can honestly say, I've only stayed in contact with one ex-coworker. He has a side gig as a realtor and we bounce real estate venture ideas off one another. Other than that, I can't tell you the names of the people I worked with at any of my old jobs.

• Author
What is your relationship with the person who's retiring?

There is no relationship with the man who is retiring, he doesn't even work in my department. And even if I don't interact with the one who is retiring doesn't make a difference. The security guard was approaching my co-workers at their desk, I mean yesterday, the guard walked right past my desk and went to the other aisle for the other people to sign the card. This morning he approached the co-worker that was sitting almost next to me-I thought that he was going to skip him- because he wasn't at his desk yesterday, he was at lunch. He must have noticed that he was gone.

• Author
When it comes to work, I ask myself two questions...

(1) Will this situation damage the continuity of my resume' or work recommendation for future jobs??

(2) Will this incident affect me in such a way that I will remember it five years from now??

This security guard has no input on your work or personnel jacket (permanent record). His opinion of you means nothing.

Five years from now I doubt you'll remember his name, much less that he did or didn't like you.

I can honestly say, I've only stayed in contact with one ex-coworker. He has a side gig as a realtor and we bounce real estate venture ideas off one another. Other than that, I can't tell you the names of the people I worked with at any of my old jobs.

Okay, well, I guess I won't let it get to me.

You have a choice here - either get up from your desk and tell him that you haven't signed the card yet or sit and pout like a child about how the security guard has purposefully ignored you and is bullying you.

It's totally your decision...

Happy Lemming

Don't waste your time and energy on co-workers...

They are walk-ons in your life, they come onto your "life stage" stay a few minutes and then they are gone. You move onto the next chapter in life.

• Author
take down the "no soliciting" sign on your cubicle

I had a sign that I put up a few weeks ago on my cube that said, "Giving free blowjobs for 30 minutes during lunchbreak." I guess the security guard must have saw that I steered away from me.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: I don't know, I should have been more discreet about it.

EVERYONE else in the department was included but me.

You must have every other aspect of your job locked down if you have time to worry about this.

What stops you from approaching him and saying "I didn't get a chance to sign the card" :confused: ???

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
There is no relationship with the man who is retiring, he doesn't even work in my department. And even if I don't interact with the one who is retiring doesn't make a difference.

Actually it does make a difference if you don't interact with him. Don't you think it would be kinda weird for him to have kind words from people he doesn't know?

And given that you didn't know him, I would have expected you'd be pleased to not have to sign and (possibly) throw in money for a stranger. Why does signing his card mean so much to you?

• Like 2
  • Author
Actually it does make a difference if you don't interact with him. Don't you think it would be kinda weird for him to have kind words from people he doesn't know?

And given that you didn't know him, I would have expected you'd be pleased to not have to sign and (possibly) throw in money for a stranger. Why does signing his card mean so much to you?

My other coworkers didn’t interact with him AT ALL either. And it wasn’t that I wanted it even sign the card! It was more being excluded from my team! Everyone else in my department signed the card but ME.

Edited by Dodgersfan11
  • Author
You must have every other aspect of your job locked down if you have time to worry about this.

What stops you from approaching him and saying "I didn't get a chance to sign the card" :confused: ???

Mr. Lucky

Wouldnt have that been awkward though? I mean if he was purposely excluding me.