The new girl is so much better than me

ItsAllConfusing

We are both temps. I've been there almost 4 months and she has been there for about 3 weeks.

It's her third week here and she does all of my work plus new work within 3 hours while it would take me 6 hours! She fits the workplace culture too. It's like she speaks the same language as the other employees. She just fits. She laughs and jokes, asks great questions, speeds through her work and understands it so she gets trained on new things.

In 4 months I didn't learn anything new In 3 weeks she's learning stuff that I was never trained to do. I also don't talk with anyone unless spoken to. So I can imagine I come off as weird or maybe even stuck up. I think she even met some coworkers after work.

I don't envy her I just feel bad about myself. I wonder how my other coworkers view me.

Just recently an internal position was listed at our office and I applied. I'm my eyes she's the better candidate for so many great reasons but I don't think she was eligible to apply since she's brand new.

Any advice ?

Can you start learning the skills she is learning? Take the strategy of learning what your managers do better than you, and learn those skills on the side?

I don’t know if you should necessarily feel bad about yourself. It could very well be that this new temp has a background in this job or industry, and that you don’t. Or maybe it’s the work itself. Not everyone has apptitude for all types of work. Perhaps she’s just better suited, and clearly more extroverted.

What kind of work is it? What is your working background?

I will say, that being more outgoing at work is instrumental to getting ahead. It’s hard to be noticed or have your work noticed if you just keep to yourself. Being able to be social at work can pay off later in the form of promotions or opportunities. It’s not a bad skill to try and cultivate. Is there a reason you keep so much to yourself?

Agree - be more outgoing at work, talk to people and ask for more projects. And most importantly, don’t compare yourself to others. Do both of you have the same job? Do you plan to stay there long term?

My first 6-9 month at the company were hard as hell,

I had few new collegues who crushed me during this time.

Fast forward 5 years, I been promoted multiple times,

And now I manage the department which includes the team that I first started in after joining the company.

I never compare myself to others, I wanted to be the best and most professional on my own.

Be positive, watch, listen, learn and work hard :)

Edited by guild11
Eternal Sunshine
My first 6-9 month at the company were hard as hell,

I had few new collegues who crushed me during this time.

Fast forward 5 years, I been promoted multiple times,

And now I manage the department which includes the team that I first started in after joining the company.

I never compare myself to others, I wanted to be the best and most professional on my own.

Be positive, watch, listen, learn and work hard :)

Exactly. I start slow and observe because I’m aware of how much I don’t know. I don’t go around joking with directors or force friendships with co-workers. I do make sure I deliver high quality work (even if I’m slow to start with). I let my work speak for itself. You would be surprised how much people warm up to you over time.

• 3 weeks later...

I do the same thing. I observe because I’m afraid of stepping on someone’s toes and getting fired. In this great job market we have now all it takes is for someone not to like you and you’re fired. Just stinks! When I get my mortgage paid off and my kids through college I will come out of my shell a whole lot more because I won’t have anything to lose at that point. As of now, I’m really scared to make waves. I usually get stuck with crappy assignments, working with jerks and only get the good assignments when others quit the company and that is only temporary until they hire someone else. I also get the pleasure of training them so they are successful even though I didn’t get any training and had to struggle through and figure it out. Work definitely sucks nowadays.

Edited by Pastypop