How do you know when it's time to leave?

Three months ago I started a job that I thought would be a good fit but due to constant fighting with some co-workers who were resentful I got the job in the first place I find that I'm stressed all the time. This is an environment where I really do need the support and help of the co-workers and I'm just being bullied. I volunteered at this place for two years so I hoped all my free work would have make them more receptive of my new paid job. But they aren't. Their angry and pushing back in all kinds of ways.

It's a part-time job without benefits. The financial loss won't be that much of a hit but I'm really emotionally falling apart and unsure how much longer I can take it.

Is it time to leave?

Edited by brigit87

If a PT job is stressing you out that much, walk. I would try to find a replacement position 1st & I'd have an answer for the next interview about why you left after only 90 days.

• Like 1
  • Author
If a PT job is stressing you out that much, walk. I would try to find a replacement position 1st & I'd have an answer for the next interview about why you left after only 90 days.

I'd leave this job off my resume.

But you're right I really need to leave. I handed in my resignation last week but upper management talked me out of going. However, I do think this place is making me sick. I find all my weekends ruined. I find myself feeling bad about leaving.

If it's not a good fit, and if you're not getting anything out of the job that you sought in the first place, then move on. Leave as amicably as possible and I would try to line something up before you leave, but keep looking.

• Author
If it's not a good fit, and if you're not getting anything out of the job that you sought in the first place, then move on. Leave as amicably as possible and I would try to line something up before you leave, but keep looking.

Yes. I will go. I'll give notice again.

• Like 1
I'd leave this job off my resume.

But you're right I really need to leave. I handed in my resignation last week but upper management talked me out of going.

Did management offer any suggestions of how to deal with the problems? Are the going to speak to those who bully you?

Have you considered lodging a complaint about bullying?

It's time to leave when the job has no real positive aspect in your life, if it doesn't make you happy and ruins your weekends, offers no benefits and causes you anxiety over going in each day...

I would rethink your decision to stay...

Just line up something first so you don't feel any monetary impact.

• Like 1
  • Author
Did management offer any suggestions of how to deal with the problems? Are the going to speak to those who bully you?

Have you considered lodging a complaint about bullying?

Yes. Management wrote 2 memos about teamwork and bullying and one outlining my job description so there is no mistake on what I am and am not expected to do. And all the girls had to sign them.

However, a couple of days later they went back to complaining. I wasn't even there lol. I could stay and fight and probably win a couple of rounds but I'm making so much money that it's worth the stress.

Sounds like a toxic place to work. The management seems to know too and aren't doing anything about it. You've done the right thing by walking away from this job. Your mental health is more important!

• Like 1

I'm going through something similar. Here's what I did this week after 10 months of bullying and attitude from my staff.

I made an example of them..something I was too scared to do before but they pushed me that far and it's been a long time coming.

I also made my bosses aware that,they need to support me and I won't put up with being humiliated and intimidated by anyone.

Now I'm lucky my bosses are fully supportive of me and backed me up 100%..

I was just one of staff for 13 years and got promoted which has caused resentment, jealousy and bullying but I've made it clear if it continues I walk.

You should maybe try some of these things. It's daunting but I'm glad I finally made my bosses aware of what has been happening and they are documenting it.

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm going through something similar. Here's what I did this week after 10 months of bullying and attitude from my staff.

I made an example of them..something I was too scared to do before but they pushed me that far and it's been a long time coming.

I also made my bosses aware that,they need to support me and I won't put up with being humiliated and intimidated by anyone.

Now I'm lucky my bosses are fully supportive of me and backed me up 100%..

I was just one of staff for 13 years and got promoted which has caused resentment, jealousy and bullying but I've made it clear if it continues I walk.

You should maybe try some of these things. It's daunting but I'm glad I finally made my bosses aware of what has been happening and they are documenting it.

Good luck

There was tons of resentment when I was a volunteer not making a dime. Now that I'm making a little bit of money there's even more resentment. It's so stupid. They could have done all the tasks I did but they were having a rebellion. So I came in did the tasks made them look fun and now everyone wants to do my job. This place has a long history of massive dysfunction and I thought I could help change it. I did make some positive changes but now they are smearing my good name. I can't have that.

Management wants me to help them get rid of one of the girls because they KNOW she's a massive problem. But I'm really not the spy type. The sad thing is I like the job itself and I've made a lot friends. Right now it's up to management if they really want to stop these women or are they going to stop them for a bit but then give them some power back. IDK. I have to go to work today and I want to vomit.

There was tons of resentment when I was a volunteer not making a dime. Now that I'm making a little bit of money there's even more resentment. It's so stupid. They could have done all the tasks I did but they were having a rebellion. So I came in did the tasks made them look fun and now everyone wants to do my job. This place has a long history of massive dysfunction and I thought I could help change it. I did make some positive changes but now they are smearing my good name. I can't have that.

Management wants me to help them get rid of one of the girls because they KNOW she's a massive problem. But I'm really not the spy type. The sad thing is I like the job itself and I've made a lot friends. Right now it's up to management if they really want to stop these women or are they going to stop them for a bit but then give them some power back. IDK. I have to go to work today and I want to vomit.

Wow exactly how I was feeling the other day driving to work I was close to vomiting. I felt absolutely ****. Couldn't sleep and didn't want to eat either.

The others that are jealous of me got offered the promotion before I did And rejected it. Now they are mad that I'm their leader.

I can't win. It's Almost as if they just don't like anything I do. If i am talking to staff. Imagine going to work, being in charge and everything I do is questioned by people that have no right to question my work. They aren't my boss I'm theirs.

Here's my job..

Get to work

Make sure the work is distributed in order

Deal with stock outs

Deal with cancelled orders

Deal with the roster

Phone calls left right and centre

Making bookings for transport to get the goods to the customer with all the required paperwork. Airline and freight bookings. Load freight myself as well which takes a couple of hours.

Make sure everything's checked correctly and all paperwork is where it's supposed to be

Lock up at the end of the day

Report system issues and get them fixed

Make sure to create stocktakes daily.

Deal with morons

But I do nothing but sit on the computer playing games all day according to the staff. You see all of the stuff I mentioned above magically gets done while I'm "playing games".

But you know what if I threw them into my job they'd be asking me for help 24/7 because they have got no idea what I do and also they aren't all very smart.

So back to you..You are doing all the right things and an awesome job. I know how hard you work because only managers know. The most important thing is that you don't let them get to you. Just keep doing what you're doing. And if they are getting to you take a quick breather to gain your composure back because the last thing you want to do is show them that they are getting to you.

You're in charge, not them and sometimes when we let things get out of hand ie :me the last 10 months people think they can walk all over you and we can't have that. I should've stopped it a long time ago but I just needed the courage which I finally got.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
... but I'm making so much money that it's worth the stress.

I'm a bit confused?? In the original opening post, you stated "The financial loss won't be that much of a hit", but then you stated the above.

I'm not a fan of putting up with a lot of crap for a job, unless there is an "end-goal" in sight. I stayed at one job a little longer than I wanted to, as it allowed me to complete my early retirement plan.

Is the extra money going to be ear-marked for something specific that will drastically improve your life?? If not, then "throw in the towel" and leave. If it will allow for a major life change, then try to stick it out and fight for the extra income.

And this right here is why there is big problem where you work. Management asking coworkers to stab each other in the back is a sure fire way to create a hostile poison work environment. If they know this girl is a problem then they need to step up and do something about that right now, not ask coworkers to collect dirt on her. I believe that you can tell a lot about the leadership at a company by how the employees behave.

• Like 1

Honestly don't give your coworkers that much power over you. You are stronger than that. As long as the company has no issues with you or your work ethic. I'd continue to work there. Learn the concept of Ignoring and you'll be fine. I went through something like this over a decade ago. I was promoted to front end supervisor and my peers were jealous. It was hard but I deserved my position.

• Like 1
  • Author

But I do nothing but sit on the computer playing games all day according to the staff. You see all of the stuff I mentioned above magically gets done while I'm "playing games".

But you know what if I threw them into my job they'd be asking me for help 24/7 because they have got no idea what I do and also they aren't all very smart.

It's so petty and childish. If they would just leave you alone to do your work the company would run much better. And I'm sure you are dealing with morons they didn't want the job and they don't want you having it either. Sad.

I did go to work today. I will be leaving soon the place will never be what it could have been and it's a bit tragic. But at least I know I did some good stuff there.

• Author
I'm a bit confused?? In the original opening post, you stated "The financial loss won't be that much of a hit", but then you stated the above.

I'm not a fan of putting up with a lot of crap for a job, unless there is an "end-goal" in sight. I stayed at one job a little longer than I wanted to, as it allowed me to complete my early retirement plan.

Is the extra money going to be ear-marked for something specific that will drastically improve your life?? If not, then "throw in the towel" and leave. If it will allow for a major life change, then try to stick it out and fight for the extra income.

I left out the word "not" LOL. I'm (NOT making much money at all.) Sorry. But right now the money (although small) is helping us out because we just lost our CAC and had to buy a new one and it was a bit hit.

I left out the word "not" LOL. I'm (NOT making much money at all.) Sorry. But right now the money (although small) is helping us out because we just lost our CAC and had to buy a new one and it was a bit hit.

Ok well I'm getting $32 an hour, plus all overtime, sick leave, rdos and annual leave, plus I've also got over 8 weeks long service. I gotta say if I had a **** deal I'd probably leave too. The stress is way too much for crap money and not worth it.

• Author
Ok well I'm getting $32 an hour, plus all overtime, sick leave, rdos and annual leave, plus I've also got over 8 weeks long service. I gotta say if I had a **** deal I'd probably leave too. The stress is way too much for crap money and not worth it.

I'm getting $15 an hour, no benefits. LOL Not exactly rolling in the money.