Issues with secretary

Confusedguy81

Hi. I have had issues with my boss's secretary. She has blatantly told me to go away when I am in her presence. She has also told me to leave her alone when I ask her for something. She is pretty much just rude and mouthy with me. I do my best to ignore her but I am not always able to. What would be the best approach? Thanks

• Like 1

I used to have a secretary that was like this no matter what my mood was. She used paperwork as a powertrip to force physicians to do what she wants. My philosophy was to avoid teaching horses how to play the piano. They will never see eye to eye with you, in fact they refuse. Therefore - interact with these people the minimum necessary, and go about your own business. Don't give them any excuse to badmouth you in front of a supervisor. There are always people who enjoy going on powertrips in the office world sadly.

• Like 2
Hi. I have had issues with my boss's secretary. She has blatantly told me to go away when I am in her presence. She has also told me to leave her alone when I ask her for something. She is pretty much just rude and mouthy with me. I do my best to ignore her but I am not always able to. What would be the best approach? Thanks

tell your boss and let him or her handle the matter

• Like 1

Talk to your boss about how best to navigate the situation. Don't throw her under the bus but do say you have noticed that she has a tendency to be obstructionist & you'd like some guidance on how to how to deal with things.

I've always enjoyed a position of authority at work. I'm a pink collared licensed professional but some of my superiors had gate keepers who were very territorial. Sometimes you have to kiss their tails & other times you can pull rank but you need to know the lay of the land first.

• Like 4

If it's her job to give you those things you ask for, then simply discuss the issue with your boss and let him handle it.

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed a position of authority at work. I'm a pink collared licensed professional but some of my superiors had gate keepers who were very territorial. Sometimes you have to kiss their tails & other times you can pull rank but you need to know the lay of the land first.

Bingo. Every door has a handle, you just have to find hers. Pay attention, perhaps find out who has a good relationship with her and pick their brain.

Look at it as a challenge...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

What caused her to act this way toward you?

Secretaries and others do not talk like that without reason. Spend some time thinking this through (if you have not already) before you approach the boss.

The boss may side with her. It is possible.

• Like 1
  • Author
Confusedguy81
I have a feeling there's more to the story. Have you been trying to chat her up?

Chat her up? Asking how her day is or what?

Do you state the reason you are there? Do you stick to business?

It's possible the boss has that secretary to minimize the chaos from employees?

What are you asking of her?

WasOtherWoman

Have you actually referred to her as a secretary? :eek::eek: Pretty sure those folks are called Administrative Assistants, or Executive Assistants now. Thinking that term is as obsolete as "Stewardess"??

Yes, chat her up, asking her how her day is, etc. Talking to her when there's no professional reason to. Interrupting her, trying to talk to her alone, giving her unwanted attention.

Continue to ignore her. If you don't have to deal with her, then don't. Only deal with your boss.

Ask your other co workers if they find she's rude to them as well and if she is, how do they deal with her on a professional level?

Forget being courteous and friendly, for whatever reason she doesn't like you. Don't ask how she is or make small talk with her.