Medical Transcriptionists -- any thoughts?

HokeyReligions

I am currently checking into becoming a medical transcriptionist. I've contacted some employment counselors, doctors, hospitals, etc. and it seems to be a growing business. The money is not nearly as close to what I have earned in the past, but if I could complete the training and get a degree in that and work for a couple of years in the field, then work from home it might be worth it. I know the home-based jobs are not as plentiful as some others, but perhaps my maturity (aka age!) might help me in that regard as employers might view me as more dependable. Maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part though.

It means starting over -- again, which at my age is VERY scary! But it would allow me some freedoms and control too. From what I have gathered so far, I could train at home too and earn a certificate first then take the last couple of years on campus to get the degree---while still working full-time. It will be tough for a while with everything else I have going on right now, but I'm thinking it might be worth it for me.

Of course, what I'm learning is all the positives -- does anyone have any experience or direct knowledge of this field that you would be willing to share with me? I know that I need to study medical terminology and the human body and I have no working experience in the medical field, but I used to be a stenographer and know how to transcribe dictation so the technology part will not be a problem for me.

I'm just looking for general population opinions on this field and I know there are some people who work in the health care industry on the board -- I'd like your thoughts on this.

It seems like most of the folks going into this field are under 35 years old. That is one of my concerns because I'm pushing 50 (well, I've almost got it knocked over!)

Thank you everyone!

We used to have a medical transcriptionist, she made $10/hr. She worked from home and transcribed from a tape. The doctor had a dictaphone and spoke into it after each patient.

It doesn't require a college degree or certificate.

Medical terminology is easy. You'd do fine. You might would want to take a refresher type course to teach you the basics. I'm sure you can buy books online, my co-worker is finishing up school and self-teaching right now.

I would tell you to reconsider only if you were going to attempt to attain some type of degree in the field. HIPAA laws are become more strict and a lot of offices are going electronic (with all the computers). That's what our office has done. It makes transcriptionist extinct.

What we get, here at our offices (although not so much anymore) is an advertisement from a Transcriptionist advertising her services via mail.

And the lady that did it for us wasn't young, she was a grandma. So don't even worry about that!

Hope it helps!

• Author
HokeyReligions

Ouch! $10/hr?!

One of the companies that I am looking at requires a test that encompasses Grays Anatomy and a very comprehensive medical terminology text book.

Thank you for your input -- I'm still researching and I may try to find a part-time position so that I can get more familiar with the medical field. You have given me some good info so I can ask more questions! Thank you.

Hey...check your PMs...I sent you some info on something I'm trying. It may end up being a failed attempt, but at least I've tried!

Also, on the $10/hr thing, that was like 6 years ago...so maybe it's more with cost of living and the area that you're in.

You can always get your foot in the door as a receptionist, but they don't get paid much either. You've probably got far too much experience for that.