Isn't it a bad idea for husbands/wives to work together?

At the place I work at, there are a few husbands/wives that work together-like not necessarily at the same department, but obviously they ride together, leave together, some take breaks together. I'm like why? What I'm thinking is that one of them either the wives don't want their husband working someplace else for fear of them "possibly" cheating. We all know how that starts, a basic conversation with a co worker, leads to lunches together, leads to "late nights" at the office then it's a full blown affair. I mean, why work alongside of each other? Or the other way around =husband don't want their wife working someplace else.

I mean, I think is almost a breeding ground to meet someone. You see the same people everyday for 40 hours a week 5 days a week, you have the same interaction with them, which leads to them liking each other. Affairs happen.

Edited by Dodgersfan11

Interesting topic, though I'd think "affair prevention" would be way down the list of reasons why spouses would work together.

My wife was largely a SAHM while our kids were young, but wanted to help with training when my company opened a new location. I knew I was in trouble when, after week one, she told me "I'm your wife, you can't tell me what to do". By week two, I didn't know whether to fire or divorce her.

It might work for some couples, didn't for us...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

Wife and I have been asked asked about just that many times over the years. She has been my Office manager for 23 years and we have been together 21 years now. Not only does it work for us it works well. We wouldn't have it any other way. That said we have personally seen it attempted by other couples and it turned to be disastrous for them as a couple and or the business. I think it takes a certain type of couple and personalities to do it and do it well.

• Like 2
Wife and I have been asked asked about just that many times over the years. She has been my Office manager for 23 years and we have been together 21 years now. Not only does it work for us it works well. We wouldn't have it any other way.

An admirable accomplishment.

Part of the issue for us was that my wife, with her background in education, had held only public service jobs, no "real world" business experience.

OTOH, she get a kick out of people saying we should run our schools like a business. Were that the case, she'd fire about a third of her students every year...

Mr. Lucky

I seriously doubt anybody choses to work with a spouse to prevent work place affairs. Anybody with warped thinking like that has no business being in a relationship, with that much lack of trust or maturity.

I suspect they met at work & just never changed jobs.

• Like 3
major_merrick

I've heard lots of bad stories, so I couldn't recommend it. I used to work with my husband back when we were younger and not really in a relationship. It worked out OK. Now...not sure I'd want to. Sometimes space is a good thing. I know he worked with his ex-wife and it was a factor in their divorce.

Working together would mostly start if a) they met through work and already worked for the same business or b) they decided to start a business together. My inlaws worked together in a few small businesses over the years.

I can't imagine someone doing it as affair prevention.

Wife and I have been asked asked about just that many times over the years. She has been my Office manager for 23 years and we have been together 21 years now.

If my math is correct, she'd been your office manager 2 years when you started dating. Did this create any problems for either of you?

Workplace romances were a simpler concept two decades ago...

Mr. Lucky

• Author

But why bring work stress home with them when coming home from work after a long stressful day is fulfilling telling the spouse about it? You know like letting the air out. I just think its very likely, just think about, wife is unhappy at home and having problems, then she tells a male coworker about it you know like friends -then she confides in him and he's like a shoulder to lean on, then those hour lunches will be dates, etc. This is how it all begins-just causally talking.

CautiouslyOptimistic

My sister/BIL own a business, work from home together, home school their two kids, and just moved across the country to a very remote location. THAT is too much togetherness in my opinion.

I think conventional "we work together" arrangements can work just fine and it has nothing to do with fears about cheating.

But why bring work stress home with them when coming home from work after a long stressful day is fulfilling telling the spouse about it? You know like letting the air out. I just think its very likely, just think about, wife is unhappy at home and having problems, then she tells a male coworker about it you know like friends -then she confides in him and he's like a shoulder to lean on, then those hour lunches will be dates, etc. This is how it all begins-just causally talking.

Dodgersfan11, if this hypothetical unhappy WW is going to cheat, there's everyone from her personal trainer to the ex she connects with on FB.

Working together doesn't add much to marital fidelity...

Mr. Lucky