Is my boss pushing me too hard?

Before I start I must say that me and my boss get on well and are friends outside of work.

I’ll try and write this post in a ‘cliffs’ format to summarise

-been working at firm for 2 yrs

-boss has given me more responsibility over this time

-regardless of what additional work he gives me, i have to do my day to day tasks

-boss is chasing me for work whilst i’m managing my day to day tasks

-i get an ibs flair up, which I haven’t had in about 5 years

-explain to boss my health situation, he proceeds to tell me “when you joined this firm you were four years ahead of me professionally, now you’re only two” and “work is the only thing in your life which should stress you out” and “i’m trying to toughen you up”

-Friday night I leave work and then remember I have Monday booked off as holiday, I call my boss to tell him that I’ll work part of Saturday to ensure my colleagues don’t get snowed under with my day to day tasks. (Someone covers for me when I’m off)

-today I get into work and no one has dealt with my day to day tasks, so I have to deal with a days work quickly. Nobody has told me that it was untouched - I would’ve come in early

-when boss arrives he moans that another member of staff is extremely snowed under and everyone should be helping them, and that no one should be having time off during the busiest time of the year (well YOU authorised it!!)

-boss then emails me to apologise, saying it wasn’t aimed at me

-i ask person who is apparently “snowed under”, she tells me it’s all in hand

I think my boss sees me as a younger version of him, but I’m really not. I don’t want to do what he does at this stage of my life, I’m mid 20’s he’s mid 40’s.

What should I do? This ibs flair up is pretty painful and I’m starting to dread driving to work in the morning..

Thanks all

I applaud your conscientious approach to your job. But...

Your mandate is to fulfill your tasks and responsibilities through an honest day’s hard work, that’s all you can do. So you need the ability to take pride in that accomplishment - and let the rest go. Like you, I’m one to give it my all and expect the same of those I work with. If you’re doing that, set the undone stuff aside and live to fight another day. I guarantee the tasks will still be there upon your return...

Mr. Lucky