How far do you/would you travel to work?

My son starts Kindergarten this fall and I'm really considering trying to find a job in my hometown. Right now, I travel to the next largest city from my home, only about 15 minutes away. But I'm feeling a need to be close to my son while he starts school. I'm also digging for any reason to just do something else. But that's a whole 'nother thread.

How far do you/would you travel to work on a daily basis? What's too far? It seems you have to travel into the metropolitan areas to get better $. Would you agree?

Originally posted by tiki

But I'm feeling a need to be close to my son while he starts school.

ahhh....cut the apron strings already, TIKI!!! Are you trying to raise some feminized metrosexual who is sensitive and caring?? WTF! :laugh:

I live in a pretty big metropolitan area and my last job I drove about 45 minutes one way to work. For this area though that is not that uncommon. Never mind the added time due to traffic!! arggg

I'm 15 minutes away from my job if there is no traffic. Since there's daily rush hour traffic, it takes me about 30 minutes to get to work everyday, so it's not the distance for me, but the time. I wouldn't work anywhere that took me longer than 30 mins. I have kids to drop off and pick up from daycare

• Author
Originally posted by alphamale

ahhh....cut the apron strings already, TIKI!!! Are you trying to raise some feminized metrosexual who is sensitive and caring?? WTF! :laugh:

Awww. :(

I even thought about applying for a position at his school. I'm having a hard time, alpha. :(

Originally posted by greenhorn

15 minutes ain't too far. :)

I know. :o

How far do you/would you travel to work on a daily basis? What's too far? It seems you have to travel into the metropolitan areas to get better $. Would you agree?

I use to drive about 30 minutes to work but I loved my job. I think after that, that's the most I would drive to work. It's really hard on the wallet with gas being so expensive and plus the traffic. If you have an emergency, you'll never get their on time.

Tiki, if it's better money, closer to your son I would definitely consider changing jobs. But I will tell you now-a-days 15 mins. isn't that bad.

• Author
Originally posted by Lonestar

I have kids to drop off and pick up from daycare

I don't my son to be in the after school program, I want to be there for him. Why pay for after school, then work to make money? Seems crazy.

It is basically a trade off, normally apartments very near to the place of work are expensive, so it is better to move to some residential suburbs.

If traffic is not much then even 30 minutes drive will be closer to your son.

• Author

Okay here's my dillema. After school care is $10.00 a day, max. My son would be there for several hours. I only make like $16 bucks an hour (maybe a little more by then). So I get paid a measly thirty bucks (after taxes) to pay ten bucks a day for someone else to keep him while he's at the school for extended hours, after he's been there all day! UGH! Poor kid.

I'm sure other mothers struggle with this.

I have one confusion here,

Let's say the school of your son ends at 2pm so any job that you would do, either near or far will end at something around 4 or 5 pm. So you need a day care for that much time.

Or is it that you are looking for a work that has similar timings with your son's school, if yes then it makes sense to be closer to school from work.

• Author
Originally posted by greenhorn

Or is it that you are looking for a work that has similar timings with your son's school, if yes then it makes sense to be closer to school from work.

YES! That's it. :)

Originally posted by Stone

I go from my bed to my computer about 3 1/2 feet away :o

Oh you so suck!!! :p

A Fly onThe Wall

19 miles is what I drive. In Atlanta traffic that makes it about a 45 min ride.

I have alway's tried to be at least 30 mins from work. I think in my line work you can be too close and wind up working to many hrs. and I also use the ride time to get rid of my day

YES! That's it. :)

Ok now I understand, then I agree your work needs to be near. If it is max 15 minutes then I think somehow you can manage , and you are correct about day care also in this case.

Via Slug Line

[*]Fifteen minutes to parking/slug line pick up.

[*]Estimated five to fifteen minutes wait for ride.

[*]Estimated thirty minutes drive to work.

[*]Cost = Free!

[/list=1]

Via Metro

[*]Five minutes to parking garage.

[*]Estimated two to ten minutes wait for train.

[*]Estimated forty to forty-five minutes ride to work.

[*]Cost = $10.00!

[/list=1]

I feel ya on this Girl..

I'm in the middle of the interview process for several other clinics this week and none of them are in the area I live.

My Youngest also starts school this year and I've got my Oldest who will be in 3rd Grade.. I want them to attend the same school..

At this point now most of the clinics I'm looking at start earlier and end later than the one I'm in and they are all so much further away...

So now I'm considering putting my Wee Peeps in the school district that would be closer to whatever clinic I end up in regardless of where our physical address is...

As it is now I have to drive to another City (not that far from the City I live in but still) to drop my Little Peeps off for daycare while I work and then drive all the way back the other way again to get to work... :(

• Author

Oh that sucks! Can you do that?! I thought you would have to have proof of residence for the area zoned.

I won't base my child's school on where I work. I can get pissed and quit tomorrow. He'll be there for years, most likely. His school will far outlast my job, I would think.

My son starts Kindergarten this fall and I'm really considering trying to find a job in my hometown. Right now, I travel to the next largest city from my home, only about 15 minutes away. But I'm feeling a need to be close to my son while he starts school. I'm also digging for any reason to just do something else. But that's a whole 'nother thread.

15 minutes is freekin' near!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am only about 10-15 minutes away but since I am near Downtown L.A you must imagine the traffic in the afternoon when I am going to school. It sucks!!!

There are actually people that travel from the valley, which is an hour away and my friends husband comes all the here and they live 2 hours away. He always comes on the metro.

Oh that sucks! Can you do that?! I thought you would have to have proof of residence for the area zoned.

I won't base my child's school on where I work. I can get pissed and quit tomorrow. He'll be there for years, most likely. His school will far outlast my job, I would think.

My BF and my Best Girlfriend both live in that area that I've been interviewing in so I can use one of thier addresses for residency to enroll my Peeps in school..

My Oldest has already gone to 3 different schools because of move(s) of residency BUT LOL I've worked in the same place all this time.. so for me I think it will be a good choice in moving my Kiddo's school closer to where I'll be working, our residency changes more than I do in employement :eek::laugh:

• Author

Oh! Well if that's the case...yeah. I've been here for seven years, go to church here and make about 7 visits a week to this neighboring city, but I decided to put my son in the private school in my hometown instead of the one across the street from my job. I can leave here at any moment, I want him close to home. Now I just want to be with him. :D

Oh! Well if that's the case...yeah. I've been here for seven years, go to church here and make about 7 visits a week to this neighboring city, but I decided to put my son in the private school in my hometown instead of the one across the street from my job. I can leave here at any moment, I want him close to home. Now I just want to be with him. :D

But it's only 15 minutes away you can drive there without a problem!

• Author

I guess it's like GH said, it's more the hours. I would want to be able to swing right by there and pick him up, when he gets out.

laRubiaBonita

i drive 20 miles to work, each way......But it still takes me a good 45 min with traffic.