Want More Out of My Job

So I started a new job about a month ago. It's with an industry I really like, everyone at my company is great, and I'd really like to stay and grow with the company. I was very excited when I got this position in this company. My position is an administrative position. My bosses are both remote, and most of the people in my office are (remote) sales folks, so they are only in the office a day or two during the week. In other a few things to do here and there, but not a ton to do, and it's been kind of boring. I know when you start a new job, sometimes it's slow, but I figured after a few weeks, there is more stuff to do.

The good side of it is: the commute is great, it's much closer than my last job. They are very flexible with the hours, in other words, if you need to leave early or work from home, you can, which is great because I have a young child, so that helps if I needed to pick her up or do something at her school.

No one has been in my position in almost a year, so when I mentioned to someone, "feel free to give me whatever you need help with", they said not to take it personally if people don't give me things right away, it's only because it's been awhile since anyone's been in the position so people got used to doing things themselves. Also both my bosses keep saying I'll have a ton to do soon.

I got an email from someone yesterday from a company I phone interviewed with a month or so ago. They never followed up, but are following up now. It's in the same industry, it's a tad farther away, but not too bad. Anyway, they asked me to come in for an interview, so I said yes. I figured, what's the harm? I don't want to leave my company, but is it ok to go on an interview just to see what's what? I've only been there a month. Also, my current job is a temp-to-perm job, and technically I'm still in the "temp" part of it.

Am I being too impatient? Has anyone else experienced this? I really want things to work out and I want to stay and grow at this job. They hired me for a reason, right?

Eternal Sunshine

I tend to give a new job at least 6 months to decide. However if your type of role doesn’t require a long learning curve then this advice may not apply to you.

In all jobs I had, first few months were rough. I felt out of depth all the time and simultaneously felt that I had nothing to do. I was convinced that I made a mistake by taking the job. They all got so much better that I would have missed out greatly if I left.

• Author

Thanks for your reply, and I do agree you need to give a job a few months at least before deciding whether you like it or not. I wasn't planning to leave soon, or at all, I guess I am just a little disappointed things aren't moving quicker. I really do like everyone I work with and my bosses, but because they're always travelling, the communication is tough.

I did go on the other interview and I think it went very well. I guess only time will tell what happens.

• 1 month later...

I’d take a full-time job if offered and leave the temp to perm. I’ve known people who have worked a temp to perm job for over 5 years and are still not permanent. That’s five years with no holiday pay, vacation pay, 401k vesting and other benefits. I had 4 temp to perm jobs in less than two years and never stayed because they never offered to hire me. Didn’t want to end up stuck or end up without a job.

There's no harm in going to see what the other job has to offer. I wouldn't walk away from a flexible job that you're not too busy in though, or go asking for more work if that's the way it is there. I did briefly have a job that got boring and dead and it's not fun, but if they're flexible, take a long lunch.

So I started a new job about a month ago. It's with an industry I really like, everyone at my company is great, and I'd really like to stay and grow with the company. I was very excited when I got this position in this company. My position is an administrative position. My bosses are both remote, and most of the people in my office are (remote) sales folks, so they are only in the office a day or two during the week. In other a few things to do here and there, but not a ton to do, and it's been kind of boring. I know when you start a new job, sometimes it's slow, but I figured after a few weeks, there is more stuff to do.

The good side of it is: the commute is great, it's much closer than my last job. They are very flexible with the hours, in other words, if you need to leave early or work from home, you can, which is great because I have a young child, so that helps if I needed to pick her up or do something at her school.

No one has been in my position in almost a year, so when I mentioned to someone, "feel free to give me whatever you need help with", they said not to take it personally if people don't give me things right away, it's only because it's been awhile since anyone's been in the position so people got used to doing things themselves. Also both my bosses keep saying I'll have a ton to do soon.

I got an email from someone yesterday from a company I phone interviewed with a month or so ago. They never followed up, but are following up now. It's in the same industry, it's a tad farther away, but not too bad. Anyway, they asked me to come in for an interview, so I said yes. I figured, what's the harm? I don't want to leave my company, but is it ok to go on an interview just to see what's what? I've only been there a month. Also, my current job is a temp-to-perm job, and technically I'm still in the "temp" part of it.

Am I being too impatient? Has anyone else experienced this? I really want things to work out and I want to stay and grow at this job. They hired me for a reason, right?

This sounds like a wonderful job. Please don't leave.