Have you ever applied for a job when you know it's your secondary priority?

Wasn't sure how to word the title.

What I mean is, have you ever applied for a job knowing you'll need at times to fit it around another priority?

Maybe the principle priority is something for your children. Or maybe you're an actor and you need a steady job, yes, but you know you'll need to step out at the drop of a hat for auditions.

This could be very pie-in-the-sky to reach for, but I'd rather start with that and then see what's realistic that's as close to the ideal as possible. I would like to find a position that offers a lot of flexibility so that I can pursue this Other Thing that is critically important to me, but can't support me on its own. I need the job flexibility so that I can train in this Other Thing. In an ideal scenario, I'd be able to be completely honest about it in an interview, and if hired, come up with something that works both for me and my employer. But I know generally you can't be 100% honest in an interview, especially as employers want to hear about the single-minded passion you have for the role for which you're interviewing. Which, IMO, isn't very realistic on the employer's part, but it's part of the "game."

I'm a hard worker and a good employee, but I need some flexibility to achieve my dream in my Other Thing. How can I navigate this as professionally as possible?

Maybe most helpful would be to hear from people who understand a situation like this through going through it themselves. I feel I'm not being as clear as I could in this post but hopefully more of it is coming through than I think.

• Like 1

When I knew I needed to tip the work life balance scale too far toward life I became self employed. It's hard work but I could mold my hours to fit my needs.

• Author
When I knew I needed to tip the work life balance scale too far toward life I became self employed. It's hard work but I could mold my hours to fit my needs.

That's something I'm considering; in fact, I'm taking two classes this week on starting a small business.

My thought was finding a part-time position while building up my own business, with hopes that as I build up my clientele I can leave the part-time position.

When you were self-employed, did you work as a consultant? How long did it take to become lucrative and how many hours a week were you putting in, roughly?

CautiouslyOptimistic
That's something I'm considering; in fact, I'm taking two classes this week on starting a small business.

My thought was finding a part-time position while building up my own business, with hopes that as I build up my clientele I can leave the part-time position.

When you were self-employed, did you work as a consultant? How long did it take to become lucrative and how many hours a week were you putting in, roughly?

Independent contractor usually. I don't do it to provide flexibility to build something else....it's just how I work now. And I work more than 40 hours/week. I don't keep track of hours, but it's quite a bit more than hours. I get paid by the project but 100% make my own hours.

• Author
Independent contractor usually. I don't do it to provide flexibility to build something else....it's just how I work now. And I work more than 40 hours/week. I don't keep track of hours, but it's quite a bit more than hours. I get paid by the project but 100% make my own hours.

So when you say, "make my own hours," are you able to block off a few weeks well in advance for some purpose? My Other Thing I'm pursuing will have me out of town a couple of times a year. If I get a regular job, those will be difficult to negotiate, I'm imagining, unless I can find a place of employment with a very flexible and understanding boss. Which is what I would love--but finding that kind of understanding and trust/respect seems like a needle:haystack proposition.

(If anyone has advice on how to find, or how to negotiate for, that kind of boss / work environment, I'd appreciate that, as well.)

CautiouslyOptimistic
So when you say, "make my own hours," are you able to block off a few weeks well in advance for some purpose?

Yes, but I either sacrifice income if I don't work at all, or I have to work extra hard/longer hours in the time preceding a vacation to get the work done prior to the planned time off.

I have a "other thing" I'm working on too. The job I have right now is super flexible, and I basically make my own hours. That's what I'm looking for my next job.

• Author
I have a "other thing" I'm working on too. The job I have right now is super flexible, and I basically make my own hours. That's what I'm looking for my next job.

How does that work, where you make your own hours? Is it in shifts, as in, each week you tell your boss, "If it meets your needs I'd like to work evening shifts Wednesday through Saturday, and a double shift on Saturday"?

There's the self-employment end of "making your own hours," but of course then the hustle required is constant. I know there would be perks with self-employment, but it might work better for me to have a hired position where I can make my own hours. Where I could say to my boss, "I'd like to work from noon until eight tomorrow," say, so that I could tackle my Other Thing in the morning. And then to be able to tell this boss, "In May of next year I have been accepted into an Other-Thing Thing and so if possible I'd like to have an unpaid vacation for that time."

Years ago I had regular hours at a temp agency, and it was perfect because I could work with my boss from week to week to set hours that met both our needs. There was never a problem and both of us were flexible and understanding and I achieved some very productive and lucrative years working in this way. The thing is, how would I initiate that kind of relationship with a potential boss? How would I know going in that it could work that way?

I am 100% certain that a M-F 9-5 will NOT work for me, for meeting my goals.

• Author
Yes, but I either sacrifice income if I don't work at all, or I have to work extra hard/longer hours in the time preceding a vacation to get the work done prior to the planned time off.

And then do you ever feel "ahead of things," or like you're always scrambling? I could see it getting exhausting and counter-productive if I'm always having to scramble to stay afloat.

How does that work, where you make your own hours? Is it in shifts, as in, each week you tell your boss, "If it meets your needs I'd like to work evening shifts Wednesday through Saturday, and a double shift on Saturday"?

So right now, I'm not a full-time employee where I work, so I'm only obligated to work two times per month. I'm termed an "as needed employee." However, the need is always so great that I can work any day I want. For instance, last week I worked 60 hours, and this week I'm only working 24 hours. I work 12 hour shifts. Each month, my manager sends me a list of needs, which are many. I could work everyday if I wanted to. This setup is new for me, but it's worked well. The downside is that I have to buy my own health insurance policy. I could have a full-time job in this position if I wanted it, but I've come to enjoy the flexibility I have now. Right now, I can take up to 2 weeks off at a time if I want to.

CautiouslyOptimistic
And then do you ever feel "ahead of things," or like you're always scrambling? I could see it getting exhausting and counter-productive if I'm always having to scramble to stay afloat.

Always scrambling. You are correct in your assumption!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it very much depends on what your daytime current profession is. I have a friend that has been doing this for years - holding different jobs while saving money and doing background work for starting his own business. He also does some stock trading while in-between jobs and that income helps him keep up with expenses until he finds a new gig. Not sure if that is something that is feasible to you. I won’t be able to do that myself personally (stock trading for income), so it all sounds like a black box.

Some professions are more amenable to flexible hours than others. Things like editing, consulting, etc. could be “on your own time” things. Either way, if flex hours are a prerequisite to your job, just interview with that in mind and make sure it’s clear you are expecting that. IMO you are under no obligation to tell them exactly why.