I got promoted and my fellow manager is getting on my nerves,what can I do?

My leader helped get me a promotion. I am very grateful for it. There's just one thing. He pushes a lot of work on to me. He has sick days constantly, and wants to do early shift all of the time while I do the late shift and I don't feel that it's fair. When he is on late shift he constantly has excuses as to why he needs to leave early. He is extremely selfish and gets mad when our boss asks him to do his job.

Our boss won't let me have days I want to have off because he is worried that my coworker will call in sick.

I live 40 mins from work and he lives 20. I have had just about enough. I feel I am being treated like an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing but I do. I do a lot more work than him and it pisses me off that we are paid the same.

What can I do?

All you can do is suck it up. You are still the new manager. The other person has seniority. Your boss is aware of the call outs but sees you as the reliable one. Continue to be a team player, the person your boss can count on. Use the contrast in your work ethic to shine in the boss's eyes. In time, the situation will sort itself out.

If you are that miserable search for a new job.

• Like 2
My leader helped get me a promotion.

Sounds like he's the boss, which doesn't make it surprising that he gets first pick of schedule and hours.

I live 40 mins from work and he lives 20.

Doesn't have anything to do with anything.

What can I do?

Work hard and become the boss. Or...

Go elsewhere where your talents are more appreciated...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

People with seniority and oversight over you can do whatever they want within reason. You certainly can't expect them to give up the schedule they had probably wanted for years and had to work hard to get in a position to have it! Your time will come.

Your days off (and by that I assume you mean regularly scheduled days off, not just "I want off next Friday for a concert") are strictly up to your supervisor. You do not get to call the shots here. As long as you're getting some days off, that's all he's obligated to do there.

• Author

Sorry I guys I obviously haven't been clear, we are on the same level.

And I have been with the same company for nearly 14 years at the same site. He came from another site a year ago.

Edited by missingu
My leader helped get me a promotion. I am very grateful for it. There's just one thing. He pushes a lot of work on to me. He has sick days constantly, and wants to do early shift all of the time while I do the late shift and I don't feel that it's fair. When he is on late shift he constantly has excuses as to why he needs to leave early.

Are these two different people you're talking about?

Mr. Lucky

Not matter where he came from or how long he has been with the company, at some point he was your leader. Thus he has seniority over you because he was a leader before you were.

The boss over you both knows you are the more reliable one. Just continue to be that person. You can't rock the boat. You will be seen as the problem if you do. Instead be the big boss's go to guy. The rest will sort itself out because the other leader will look bad in comparison

• Like 1

But you said he's your leader, so it doesn't matter how long you've both been there. He outranks you. Your under him. I only wish seniority was the sole criteria for leadership, all those years being underpaid and passed over for men with less experience and tenure.

PhillyLibertyBelle
He was my leader, we are now leaders together and work for a another boss higher up than both of us

Can I infer from your first post that it is this man who is now getting on your nerves is the person who facilitated your promotion? Did you also get any bump to your salary? It also sounds like you are saying that you have 14 years seniority and he has been with the company around one year.

Therefore, for 13 years you worked at a lower level and I’m guessing for a little less pay and NO ONE else got you a promotion. Maybe you weren’t ready to be a leader for 13 years, maybe you were just overlooked but for whatever the reason a man who has known you for circa one year gave you a lift up the ladder.

Be a little grateful. You’re a new manager. We have all been there. You need to prove yourself for at least a year and lose the sense of entitlement. If you do an amazing job you will be recognised and maybe even be promoted to be his boss. Where I come from we call it “paying your due”

If you really do find it intolerable or abusive then start looking for a new job immediately. Good luck.

• Like 1

Get Jocko Willink's Extreme Ownership. He basically says that those forms of pressure are actually a privilege meaning your boss believes you are capable enough to handle it. Handle it.