Overwhelmed at times with the job

I took a new job as a morning proctor at a boarding school. I drive 30 miles one way for it (and the weather is good at the time). I see the kids off in the morning to their classes, some are coming back because they are sick, some are coming back because they forget things. It's hard keeping track of 70 people.

I am trying to keep things together with the job, boss and the nurses tend to be pulling at me in a million directions but I keep it all together and don't explode. I screwed up today ... Left the medicine cabinet open (unlocked) and didn't know I was supposed to stay in the dorm with two sick kids until another adult comes in.

I am overwhelmed. Feel like crying today. My boss is going to talk to me tomorrow. I hope she isn't going to let me go. I can only tell her I am trying my hardest to make it work.

I doubt they are going to fire you.

I do think you will be given a formal reprimand and it will go into your file. It always seems at review time, they bring out those reprimands and make you feel small all over again. I know its their way of minimizing your yearly raise, but it still feels bad.

When I worked, I'd rather they just give me the crappy raise or no raise. I hated having those reprimands pulled out and shoved in my face again.

You are new and still learning the ropes. Sit there quietly and take the reprimand, don't try to explain. Just tell them it won't happen again and you'll try harder in the future. Above all else, don't cry... hold it together.

I am overwhelmed.

Do you use a checklist? I've had many detail oriented jobs where events had to occur in order despite chaotic circumstances and have found memory simply isn't enough. There's obviously apps that help also...

Mr. Lucky

• Author

I do have one now. I am dependent on other things like when the mail gets there obviously.

What was really stressful today was when the nurse comes by to check on the students. She leaves and then ends up calling about 5-6 times asking different questions. I will get her to leave me with a list of questions rather than call u multiple times. I can only do souch. And she asks these questions when I am doing other things like I was on my way to/from the bathroom and I said I was not at my desk but I will get to it. Then I get back to the desk get a call from someone who is asking this, take care of that, then someone else, etc.

You're in a constant state of catch up and doing what is immediately before you. I felt like crying today but I can't say what I feel. I broke down in tears when I was teaching because the kids were so bad one day - this has nothing to do with that but it's like my brain is firing constantly. Then in previous jobs people would accuse me of being too communicative and asking tooany questions. So I learned to be silent.

It's hard keeping any job these days people are so critical.

I do have one now. I am dependent on other things like when the mail gets there obviously.

What was really stressful today was when the nurse comes by to check on the students. She leaves and then ends up calling about 5-6 times asking different questions. I will get her to leave me with a list of questions rather than call u multiple times. I can only do souch. And she asks these questions when I am doing other things like I was on my way to/from the bathroom and I said I was not at my desk but I will get to it. Then I get back to the desk get a call from someone who is asking this, take care of that, then someone else, etc.

You're in a constant state of catch up and doing what is immediately before you. I felt like crying today but I can't say what I feel. I broke down in tears when I was teaching because the kids were so bad one day - this has nothing to do with that but it's like my brain is firing constantly. Then in previous jobs people would accuse me of being too communicative and asking tooany questions. So I learned to be silent.

It's hard keeping any job these days people are so critical.

If you find the job too stressful it's not for you. Better to make less money and not feel like crying.

The job seems like it requires a lot of multi-tasking. Is that something you are good at doing? If not, the job might not be a good fit for you.

I broke down in tears when I was teaching because the kids were so bad one day - this has nothing to do with that but it's like my brain is firing constantly.

This is not good. You need to hold it together in the classroom.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author
mortensorchid

I was given a lecture today to be friendlier and to bridge the gap between being more of a loving parent to the students. I saw comments made about me and one of the students said I liked him because I called him a term of endearment apparently (like honey or sweetheart) so I have been all business with him. Others? I am trying to be friendlier and trying to be more social with others. I went to my shrink after not seeing her in 4 years because I have had no health insurance. I am on meds now, I am feeling better in general. But ... I have to be clinically detached from others. Co-workers and students are not friends, I have learned this the hard way. I must be friendlier - what else can I do?!?!!

Happy Lemming
I was given a lecture today to be friendlier... Co-workers and students are not friends, I have learned this the hard way. I must be friendlier - what else can I do?!?!!

I don't envy you. It sounds like an awful balancing act to be friendly, but not too friendly and you have to be approachable if the students have a problem.

Do your best, but start looking for a new job. The quicker you can get out of this quagmire... the better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
mortensorchid

I am being friendlier to the students as they are coming out. We seem to be okay with that now, but had a horrible day.

One was still in his room sick, I called over at the attendance office to tell them that one was still in the house John Doe but could she check up on John Doe 2? She didn't call me back for about an hour, confirmed he wasn't at assembly or in his first class, so I went up to his room and found him asleep. Apparently I was supposed to go up and check on them immediately should they not be downstairs. I got reprimanded over that, they said they told me this in the beginning to go up to the rooms.

You're in a constant state of catching up and running around, for the most part I get all the work done as it should be, but on the crazy days it's horrible trying to keep everything under control. I try hard everyday. All I can do anymore. Please Lord, make tomorrow a better day...

Happy Lemming

You're in a constant state of catching up and running around, for the most part I get all the work done as it should be, but on the crazy days it's horrible trying to keep everything under control. I try hard everyday. All I can do anymore. Please Lord, make tomorrow a better day...

This job sounds horrible, please tell me you are looking for other work...

I'm sure there are better jobs out there for you, are you sending out your resume'?? Applying for other jobs??

I remember one job I started and had been there about a month. It was horrible (very long story). I was still learning all the intricacies of the owner's nested companies and how they all related to one another. It was quite complex. One day, he chewed me out about something I really didn't know about (another company), so I went to lunch and never came back. No regrets!!

Put up a sign saying "Medicine chest must be locked when not in use." I mean, obviously, you can't leave meds where kids can get to them. The other stuff, maybe they didn't train you adequately. The best thing to do when you get reprimanded is say "Yes, ma'am, it will never happen again. I'm going to put a sign so I don't get distracted and leave the medicine cabinet open again." Don't make excuses. On the staying in the room when there's two kids until another adult arrives, say, "Yes, ma'am, I will definitely do that from now on now that I know that's the rule." Just agree and acknowledge the info they give you and accept responsibility. Don't argue or justify.

I'm sure there are better jobs out there for you, are you sending out your resume'?? Applying for other jobs??

the economy is booming and unemployment is at a 49 year low. companies have so many holes in their org charts that they look like swiss cheese. send out resumes because pretty much every company is hiring

• Like 1