Should you always send a thank you email after an interview?

I've always sent a thank you email and have been told it was basic professional curtesy. Just wondering if everyone here does the same. If you are in a position to hire someone, is it immediately disqualifying not to send one?

CautiouslyOptimistic

I'm old school. A handwritten note through the U.S. Mail means more. But yes, definitely send a thank you if you're still interested in the job after the interview.

• Like 1

When applying for a software engineering job, I bought some thank you cards and wrote a little thank you in them and included my business card and mailed them to the three people I interviewed with. Not sure what difference it may have made, but I did get that job. Biggest hassle was buying stamps. I have dreadful handwriting too BTW.

I always send a thank-you email. My goal is for it to be greeting the person or people who interviewed me at the start of the next business day after my interview. (That also gives me a bit of time to think over the experience.)

Without a doubt. I always always send an email, I try to send it that evening after the interview within 24 hours, and I always send a thank you CARD through the mail. (I'm actually writing thank you cards right now for an interview I had earlier today!) I think it's sweet and I know the potential employers like it. The only time I may not send something is if the interview was awkward and I decided I didn't want the job. But then I would actually send an email telling them "no thanks" in a polite way. Send it!

I work in wealth management so we tend to be old school but we just completed a round of interviews for a portfolio manager & the candidate that sent a thank you card definitely earned extra points. Unfortunately the candidate that emailed his thank you that contained typos did not. Proofread, proofread, proofread!

• Like 1
I work in wealth management so we tend to be old school but we just completed a round of interviews for a portfolio manager & the candidate that sent a thank you card definitely earned extra points. Unfortunately the candidate that emailed his thank you that contained typos did not. Proofread, proofread, proofread!

Just curious: if the candidate that emailed his thank-you note had proofread carefully so that there were no typos, would it weigh against him that he emailed rather than mailed his note?

I have always chosen email because that's the sure-fire way to ensure they hear from you right away. There's no way to know if the interviewer is heading out of town the next day, or isn't on site for the next couple of days, who knows.

I send the email in the style of a business letter, too. Company name and address, person's full name and title, opening salutation of "Dear" ending with a colon, and my full contact information.

It's another brick in the wall you're trying to build. And since Hiring Managers know you'll likely be interviewing for more than one position, a follow-up note affirms your continued interest in the job.

The "proofreading" caution also a good one. Spell check doesn't know the difference between your and you're, there and their...

Mr. Lucky

You should send a thank you note. I would never not hire an other wise qualified candidate who didn't send one but if it comes down to 2, the one who sent the thank you note gets the job.

• Author

Even though it's expected, I've always felt a little fake doing it. For my interview I went on a few weeks ago, I felt like I wrote a really good follow up email. It was personalized, and it showed my interest in the job. But it still felt canned to some extent.

Just curious: if the candidate that emailed his thank-you note had proofread carefully so that there were no typos, would it weigh against him that he emailed rather than mailed his note?

I have always chosen email because that's the sure-fire way to ensure they hear from you right away. There's no way to know if the interviewer is heading out of town the next day, or isn't on site for the next couple of days, who knows.

I send the email in the style of a business letter, too. Company name and address, person's full name and title, opening salutation of "Dear" ending with a colon, and my full contact information.

I wouldn’t even know what to do with snail mail at work as I haven’t looked at it in 20 years.

Email is my preferred method. It’s immediate and welcome.

I wouldn’t not hire someone if they didn’t sent a thank you (which is what I would assume if I got snail mail I never read) but I’ve found the better candidates do it.

The thank you note is a good format to reiterate what you discussed (you were paying attention) as well as your skill set (if they weren’t which many times happens in interviews).

But a word of caution - I remember many years ago they interviewed this candidate at my old job. They loved him and were ready to make an offer but he accidentally included the hiring manager on an mass email to his friends with pics of a naked chick. Oops.

Gmail will often remember email addresses and pop up the wrong one if someone has the same first name or you send to your address book.

Never. I say thanks at the end of the interview. I don't really look favourably (or unfavourably) on someone who does. It's all about their application and interview. Not sucking up afterwards.

Definitely send a note if you want the job.,

The key is to say something authentic and real. Not just the boring, you have a good company and I would like to work for you. But say something specific that interested you ... or that caught your attention during the interview.