Hi everyone, I just have a question. I tried google, but im getting mixed answers. So my co worker who I share an office with, was on her way to a meeting, and she says to me " keep your head down" What does that mean?

She is aware that something bad is going on or about to happen & she is trying to protect you from the cross fire or fall out.

• Like 1

Or she may think you're utterly clueless more than half the time. Try and stay a bit more aware and on top of things at the office. If you're new get to know more people and keep your ears peeled and your mouth shut.

• Author

thanks for the feedback. Im in the marketing department. she's in IT. So I don't know how that comment reflex's me, since were in different departments. At first I thought it meant, " don't slack off" lol

• Author
Or she may think you're utterly clueless more than half the time. Try and stay a bit more aware and on top of things at the office. If you're new get to know more people and keep your ears peeled and your mouth shut.

I am kinda new. 3 months in.

• Author
Why not just ask what she meant by telling you that?

I did ask. She just kept walking on. I wish people could be more straight forward.

Happy Lemming

I've heard "keep your head down and nose to the grindstone"...

Which would mean to continue to work hard...

Just a guess.

She might not even have meant anything, but in general it is advice to not get mixed up in office drama and lay low, usually good advice!

• Like 2
  • Author
She might not even have meant anything, but in general it is advice to not get mixed up in office drama and lay low, usually good advice!

I agree. Thanks

UpwardForward

I Googled the meaning of: Keep your head down.

This is what it said: 'Remain inconspicuous in difficult or dangerous times'.

So probably the posters who said similar to this, were correct.

• Like 2
  • Author
I Googled the meaning of: Keep your head down.

This is what it said: 'Remain inconspicuous in difficult or dangerous times'.

So probably the posters who said similar to this, were correct.

Wow. That was nice of you. Thanks for letting me know. :)

• Like 1

The only potentially negative things I can think of is that, with that person being in IT, it may mean that some tracking of employees on their computers is about to be put in place, or you’ve been on the internet doing personal stuff and they know about it. It may be a warning, either way, not to use the company computer for personal business.

• Like 1
  • Author
The only potentially negative things I can think of is that, with that person being in IT, it may mean that some tracking of employees on their computers is about to be put in place, or you’ve been on the internet doing personal stuff and they know about it. It may be a warning, either way, not to use the company computer for personal business.

Yeh I thought about that too. I just read the news, and visit here LOL

UpwardForward

I am guessing the term would have been derived from a military setting.

An expectation to keep ones head down behind the trenches (inconspicuous) at certain times when in combat with a potential enemy.

In this case it was meant in the spirit, not physically.

• Like 1
Yeh I thought about that too. I just read the news, and visit here LOL

I'm not sure what kind of company you work for, but at mine, visiting loveshack would be frowned upon. Not all companies track internet use but just in case I'd probably surf it in my phone or outside of work.

• Author
I'm not sure what kind of company you work for, but at mine, visiting loveshack would be frowned upon. Not all companies track internet use but just in case I'd probably surf it in my phone or outside of work.

I don't see any harm in reading a forum. It's not like im on a dating site or looking for sexual positions.

I don't see any harm in reading a forum. It's not like im on a dating site or looking for sexual positions.

Dead wrong! You’re using a company computer for personal business on their time - while they’re paying you to work. That’s grounds for termination. Use your phone, and make sure that it doesn’t connect to their internet. You might want to also familiarize yourself with company policy on internet usage while you’re at it.

• Like 1
  • Author
Dead wrong! You’re using a company computer for personal business on their time - while they’re paying you to work. That’s grounds for termination. Use your phone, and make sure that it doesn’t connect to their internet. You might want to also familiarize yourself with company policy on internet usage while you’re at it.

But I only use the Internet on my breaks and lunch. There was no clause on Internet use in my contract.

But I only use the Internet on my breaks and lunch. There was no clause on Internet use in my contract.

Most companies have a policy against using their computers for anything other than company business. As far as internet usage, companies can track every single thing that’s done via their internet. If you’re ok with exposing that level of privacy, then that’s fine.

• Like 1
  • Author
Most companies have a policy against using their computers for anything other than company business. As far as internet usage, companies can track every single thing that’s done via their internet. If you’re ok with exposing that level of privacy, then that’s fine.

Your right. I never looked at it from that point. Thanks for pointing that out to me. So I will only use my cell data. :)

• Like 1