Boss found out I'm moving and is being difficult about 2 weeks notice.

IhavenoFREAKINclue

So my boss found out I was moving before I had a chance to tell him. He asked me when I was going to tell him. I said I would have given my two weeks when I came back from Florida. He said that I was only going to give him 2 weeks to replace me. Isn't 2 weeks the alloted time? Now he has time to find a replacement

I'm sorry you tried saving some money and teaching me EVERYTHING in the office just so that you don't have to hire another person. So he asked me to stay until some jobs were finished and I said I'm sorry but I only have to give you 2 weeks notice and that's it. I already got the lease for the APT in Florida and move in is mid-August. So now he acting like a 6 year old and making me do ALL the work.....including things that aren't my job. He even was considering just letting me go now (is that considered getting fired?) Just out of spite. Would that be cause for unemployment? If i give him my 2 weeks and just to be a dick he said "Don't bother" Am I still a criminal if that happens?

I'm not sure if the "2 weeks notice" is law. I know that that's my only obligation. I'm sorry I'm leaving at an inconvenient time. But all i have to give you is 2 weeks and that's that.

That's ample time for me to find a replacement, I don't know how difficult it would be for your boss though.

If he's being a butthead about it, I'd just tell him it's 2 weeks, or now.....which does he prefer? Then leave it at that.

A Fly onThe Wall

2 weeks notice is standard.. You did the right thing.

Anytime an employee here has given a 2 weeks notice I thank them and tell them that their services are no longer required and tell them to pick up there check and leave.

I would not want somone around that doesn't have their head in the job for the 2weeks.

and no you cannot get unemployment if they chose to not take your 2 weeks notice.( you are not getting fired if you quit )

Your notice basically says I'm quiting NOW but I won't leave you in a bind so I will work till I'm replaced.

In a sense you are doing him a favor by working a 2 week notice and trying not to burn any bridges

2 weeks is standard, IHNFC. And it's not a law. Don't let him bully you. Tell him you'll leave now if he wants, sheesh. Like YOU'RE doing something wrong by moving and changing jobs? Come on, he doesn't own you.

Originally posted by A Fly onThe Wall

Anytime an employee here has given a 2 weeks notice I thank them and tell them that their services are no longer required and tell them to pick up there check and leave.

Wow...are you serious? I need to keep that in mind as a possibility with giving a 2 week notice. :confused: My boss would need my services for two weeks, would probably ask me to stay longer than that if possible, and would want me to train someone else.

westernxer

What kind of work is this that you can just let them go?

Sounds like you take it very personal.

• Author
IhavenoFREAKINclue

See, my whole outlook on this is I'm not going to schedule my life around you b/c you managed poorly and wont be able to find a replacement for me. This was my opportunity to go and I´m going.

A Fly onThe Wall

Sounds like you take it very personal.

Digital Effects retouching for Advertising..

No I don't take it personal.. Most projects we work on are fairly large and the ramifications that can come from a person that no longer has their head in their job can range from missing a deadline for a television commercial to missing a deadline on a printing press. Since it has happened I have just adopted the policy.

We have enough people cross trained to accomadate any void from someone leaving.

A Fly onThe Wall
Originally posted by tiki

Wow...are you serious? I need to keep that in mind as a possibility with giving a 2 week notice. :confused: My boss would need my services for two weeks, would probably ask me to stay longer than that if possible, and would want me to train someone else.

I think I came off as short with my statement..

I didn't mean to sound as if I didn't have a meaningfull conversation with them about it.. There have been times where people have worked out the day.. but that was it..

soccorsilly

Well IHNFC, I guess the question of how to get fired is a moot point now.

Two weeks is standard but not a law, longer is nicer if you can do it, but if not, oh well.

You CAN collect unemployment (and say you were terminated) if he does not pay you for the remaining two weeks. If he does pay you--either in advance (which most will do) or in line with the regular payroll, you have resigned and are not eligible.

As for letting someone go right away, I am also a cheerleader for that. They are leaving for a reason--you may or may not know what it is and whatever work the company does is it's livlihood. So to keep an unhappy camper around is bad news except under the rarest of circumstances. Think about it"

They can poison the remaingni staff

They can steal

They can take trade secrets

They can screw with your computers

They can badmouth you to your clients

They can steal your clients if they are going in the same industry

The list goes on

We have enough people cross trained to accomadate any void from someone leaving

unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case in IHNFC's case. Sounds like the guy is being a jackass just because he can get away with being a jackass; two weeks is a courtesy extended by the departing employee that allows the company to train a replacement (if need be) while giving that person time to wrap up any projects.

• Author
IhavenoFREAKINclue
Originally posted by soccorsilly

Well IHNFC, I guess the question of how to get fired is a moot point now.

Two weeks is standard but not a law, longer is nicer if you can do it, but if not, oh well.

You CAN collect unemployment (and say you were terminated) if he does not pay you for the remaining two weeks. If he does pay you--either in advance (which most will do) or in line with the regular payroll, you have resigned and are not eligible.

As for letting someone go right away, I am also a cheerleader for that. They are leaving for a reason--you may or may not know what it is and whatever work the company does is it's livlihood. So to keep an unhappy camper around is bad news except under the rarest of circumstances. Think about it"

They can poison the remaining staff

They can steal

They can take trade secrets

They can screw with your computers

They can badmouth you to your clients

They can steal your clients if they are going in the same industry

The list goes on

Thanks soccer...but my boss would do it out of spite...not cause he thinks I would steel. Last time a receptionist quit, he told her not to bother with the 2 weeks and to leave now. She was the reason I had to lean 2 jobs. Instead of hiring another, my boss probably thought "O'well, Freakin can do it" And since then I have been doing her job and mine. So he'll be so pissed that he has to hire another 2 people.

Originally posted by IhavenoFREAKINclue

I'm not sure if the "2 weeks notice" is law. I know that that's my only obligation. I'm sorry I'm leaving at an inconvenient time. But all i have to give you is 2 weeks and that's that.

Employment law is a specialty in and of itself and I am not a lawyer (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite :laugh:)

My understnading is that most states in the U.S. are "at will" employment. Which means you work at the will of the employer and they can let you go at anytime (without notice) for almost any reason. And the employee works at their own will and can tell the employer at anytime that they are splitting without giving any notice.

The two wk notice rule is only a courtesy and not required by any means.

Your boss is acting like an a$$. Keep your head up, smile and do great work for the remaining two weeks, then you'll be saying sayonara to that place. Don't give him any excuses to fire you or ruin any future job reference.

I wouldn't blame a boss being angered by two days or two hours notice, but what you gave him is an acceptable amount.

westernxer

Digital Effects retouching for Advertising..

No I don't take it personal.. Most projects we work on are fairly large and the ramifications that can come from a person that no longer has their head in their job can range from missing a deadline for a television commercial to missing a deadline on a printing press. Since it has happened I have just adopted the policy.

We have enough people cross trained to accomadate any void from someone leaving.

That's cool.

FolderWife

Isn't it illegal to give a negative reference? Meaning even if she did louse up the next two weeks, her boss is required by law to give her a good reference, or no reference at all..

:confused:

Originally posted by FolderWife

Isn't it illegal to give a negative reference?

No....most employers do not give a negative reference cause of a potential lawsuit from the ex-employee who may be denied a job cause of the bad reference. It is not illegal, per se, however.

Most large companies will only confirm that you did in fact work for their company from such date to such date and may even give the name of you position and responsibilities but they usually won't say much else.

:):laugh:

A Fly onThe Wall
Originally posted by alphamale

No....most employers do not give a negative reference cause of a potential lawsuit from the ex-employee who may be denied a job cause of the bad reference. It is not illegal, per se, however.

Most large companies will only confirm that you did in fact work for their company from such date to such date and may even give the name of you position and responsibilities but they usually won't say much else.

a lot of states have a law called the " reference immunity law "

Where you as an employer are protected against repercussions from giving a negative reference ..

Georgia does not have " reference immunity law"

Not this one. I give every bit of info that I deem important. If they're late all the time, I'll tell them. If they take loads of breaks, I'll tell them. If they wear their heart on their sleeve, I'll tell them. If they do the work of three men, I'll tell them.
Originally posted by Moose

Not this one.

I was referring to Fortune 500 companies man. :)

I was referring to Fortune 500 companies man. :)

And I wasn't. Besides, being a, "Fortune 500", isn't as big of a deal as most people think it is.

I'd be leery about slacking off the last two weeks, but put your foot down if he's being a butthead about it.

Besides, being a, "Fortune 500", isn't as big of a deal as most people think it is

Or even as some people seem to think it is ROTFL. I feel it's only fair to remind you, AM, that I worked for THE world's largest company (when it was - Walmart apparently just passed it).

karenina21

I'm a paralegal student and from what I looked up on employment law on Westlaw and Lexis, two weeks' notice is not law, just customary. In addition, in most states and for most employment, it is "at will" which basically means that either you or the employer can terminate employment at any time, for virtually any reason, except for those reasons that might be deemed discriminatory under the law.

With regard to unemployment compensation eligibility, again it depends on the state. Most states have provisions for being laid off "with cause" and "without cause." In my state, RI, "with cause" includes following a spouse to another job in another state, being laid off through no fault or misconduct of one's own, if the business closes, if harrassment was endured, or there is a lack of work. Additionally, there may be other stipulations based on length of service at the job and job peformance.

An excellent resource that's easy to read and understand is FindLaw. You can try to look up your state's statutes on employment and go from there.

Your boss is being a real jerk, but he is also probably shocked and in a bind having to replace you, as it is costly to advertise, interview, and train a new employee.

Hope this helps.

Karen :)

That just seems so wrong to me on many levels.

If an employee is an ass, a slacker, a screw-up, always calling in sick, doesn't get along with anyone in the workplace, etc...................why can't their previous boss tell the prospective one? Isn't that pertinent info?

Say I'm applying for a job and it's down to me and Sally Sue who is a deadbeat employee who is a sh*tty employee......why should I have to be in the running with a deadbeat who COULD end up getting the job, when in fact, I'm a good employee who works hard, willing not complain about putting in unpaid overtime, who never calls in sick, who gets along with coworkers?

I think the whole "politically correct" thing has gone way too far.

This sends a message that you can be a total dick of an employee but there will be no repercussions for it when it comes time to find another job.

I did hear that a prospective employer CAN ask the old boss, "would you hire this employee again?" and that's allowable. Anybody know if that's true?

The job I have now, I know that when my current boss was checking my references, she asked a lot of questions to my previous boss (my previous boss and I were friends, and she wanted me to know that she gave me a glowing recommendation and what she said).....was I responsible? use of sick time? good communication skills? good with clients? It was a very large company I'd worked for then.

I think it's high time that sh*tty employees get what's coming to them so that the many good ones out there can get the jobs that they rightfully deserve.

karenina21

I can see your point, shygurl, about references. The problem legally, however, isn't so much about "political correctness" as it is about libel and slander. It's true that potential employers can ask questions of old employers. And those questions can be answered, the key is in how they are answered. If any answer can be construed as an unjust or scandalous or malicious statement against the former employee resulting in reputation or character damage, then that former employer can get sued. It's for these reasons that many companies do not reveal any such information.

Getting back to your example about you and the crappy other candidate vying for a job, I would argue that it's your merit that would set you apart, and it does suck that the other girl's crummy history might not be fully revealed in a reference check. But remember also, if there's red flags in her past, they will usually show up somewhere on the resume, or in the people he or she chooses as references. While companies or employers cannot legally say negative things, they can legally say whether or not a person is eligible for rehire, or whether someone would be recommended. And if that girl's references did not include a former boss or co-worker, then the potential employer has her answer right there anyway.