Job Interview Went Well But Have Not Heard Back

I went on 2 job interviews for this great job in the last few weeks. I met with HR, and then I met with the person I would be supporting, the owner of the company. I was told that I would hear back by last week but I ended up not hearing back yet.

The job was not posted originally, they asked me to come in to interview after I applied for a different job that they posted on their website. They told me that the job wasn’t posted yet but they really thought that I would be a great fit and that’s why they brought me in.

I was curious to what was going on since I didn’t hear back from them , I looked on the website and noticed that they posted the job on their website, just a few days ago. The interview went really well and I feel like I have a really good chance with this job. I’m wondering why suddenly they posted it. Is it because they’re looking for more candidates, or perhaps they have to post it? Like I know most companies have to post jobs for a period of time for legal matters. I want to continue to think positive, but I’m not sure what to think if they posted the job suddenly.

Depending on the company or if it has a union (ie), posting publicly about the opening may be mandatory and a legal requirement.

If it is not a requirement or a policy, they likely posted the job because they are still interviewing. You may have hit 7 or 8 out of 10 of the requirements and think you aced it but that 10-30% missing makes it worth it to keep interviewing new candidates to see if there is a better fit. It's very likely the CEO or hiring manager wants at least 2-3 candidates from which to choose from and if you are the only one so far that meets most of the requirements, it's not enough to go on. Since you interviewed before the job was even posted, they most likely have barely begun interviewing.

Depending on the company, size and its structure and how healthy or stable it is, it's also not uncommon for positions to shape, duties to change and other fundamental tasks to be altered during a vacancy and the interviewing process. Is this company healthy in terms of staffing and turnover? What is the reason behind this vacancy (very important question)? Did the previous person in that position just book the next flight to Mexico or Germany and run for the hills out of sheer terror or frustration at the job? You should have gotten a good feel and had the opportunity to interview the hiring manager or the person you were interviewing. Remember it should be a two-way street and never be afraid to ask questions about the position.

I agree with the suggestion to call and inquire on whether they are still in the interviewing process. Alternatively, ask if the position has already been filled. If you have the opportunity, also ask if you can speak with the hiring manager directly and inquire where you may improve the next time and where you didn't make it if you don't get the position. You should also be sending an email or card of thanks for the interview if you haven't done so already.

Yes call them.

Thank them and inquire.

If they do not have time to talk to you or an answer, hand write some thank you cards to the people you interviewed with and include your business card.

It is considerate, shows interest, and puts the ball in their court as it indicates closure on your end, so if they are very interested they may be prompted to call you sooner (or not, but really no downside to the gesture).

edit: just saw portia recommended a card first - her advice is solid.

Edited by Orokotikki
re-read previous post.
  • Author

Thanks for your replies! I did contact them and heard back, and found out that they changed the job, and are now making it more of an entry level job and are looking for a less experienced person for the job, and it sounds like the salary would end up being a lot lower than they mentioned. Oh well. I'm disappointed but can't be too disappointed. Obviously this wasn't meant to be "my job" like I thought it was!