Job interview- up against friends

Penguin_hugs

Hi there,

I'm a pharmacist and I applied for a more senior speciality job within the hospital I already work at, and found out I have an interview next week!

I'm excited because I currently have a junior rotational position and the area I have applied for is my absolute dream role. I had this rotation 8 months ago and loved it. I had really good feedback from nurses, and senior pharmacists within the speciality etc.

However, I have just found out that the only other applicants for the job- were internal- and 2 of my friends... both of them have had the rotation after me so I guess they will be more familiar with current practise etc.

The 3 of us are currently completing a university course on top of working and regularly travel together for this. I hang out with one of them outside of work etc too.

How do you approach interviews- and more importantly- afterwards... when you know you are up against friends? We didn't discuss that all 3 of us were applying- I had a feeling that 1 would, but the other seemed to always be interested in a different speciality!

I also have to try and prepare for this interview and not blow the opportunity. Currently my head is all over the place with a family crisis- and I've been given an extension for the next submission of the uni course- so I'm not overly at my best!

It's pretty normal, I wouldn't let it affect you. The SO competes against his friends for specialty applications every year, they're all still friends.

All the best!

• Like 1

I guess this will be a chance to determine if they’re work friends or real friends. If the latter, and you get the job, they’ll be happy for you...

Mr. Lucky

• Author
Penguin_hugs

So my interview was yesterday and I thought it went well- but I didn't get the job. The interviewer said it was the toughest panel she'd ever been on- and that there was 1 point separating the 3 of us- so I shouldn't feel like I gave a bad interview.

It does sting that I didn't get it- as I really did want it. And it makes me feel like I don't know what I'm going to do long term as my goal now.

Really truly the opportunity probably came up 6 months too early for me- my head is also spinning a bit with family related issues. I'm going to continue my existing rotational job to ensure I get the full experience of all that the current hospital has to offer before I apply again for any promotions. When they told me that I was unsuccessful, they did advise me that there is another band 7job going within my current rotation- and I woupd be a good candidate- but I just don't feel like it's a team I want to remain in. The work is ok- but I struggle daily with the head of department and his attitude and ways of working.

I don't think I should settle for something that isn't right.

My friends who were also interviewed, messaged yesterday saying congrats to whomever got it- and we were all advised it was the tightest interviewing ever and we should all be proud.

I think it was my closest work friend who got it- and he will be pretty humble about it- and I'll still congratulate him. But going in to work today- when everyone knows you didn't get the job is going to be tough.

• Like 1