mortensorchid

Two weeks ago tomorrow, I interviewed for a job that I REALLY want. I am a teacher, and this would be for a residential morning monitor at a boarding / day school. This would mean a 30 mile drive each way M-F, as well as one weekend a month be on. I have NO PROBLEM with this because this is where I want to eventually be : teaching in some capacity in a boarding school / private school. In the meantime, I have to make due with substitute teaching and working with special people in either group homes or vocational programs. But I digress...

I had the interview which I think went very well two weeks ago and sent follow up letters to the two I interviewed with. Both of them responded. The first said :

Thank you for taking the time to come to campus yesterday. It was a pleasure meeting you and learning more about your background. I was able to connect with (Name), and also passed along your interest in the possibility of substitute teaching. I look forward to staying in touch. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to me at any time.

The second person also responded to my follow up with this:

It was great to meet you and learn more about your background and interests. Your background is impressive!

I hope we were able to answer your questions, but if you have additional questions about our boarding program, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

It's been two week since that interview. I have another two weeks (roughly) to go before the position starts. I REALLY want the job, would it be bad if I wrote them another follow up? To give them a push in the right direction?

If so, what should it say?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 1

Others may have advice, but I typically write something along the lines of "I wanted to express my continued interest in the position and would like to ask what are the next steps in the process and how close you are to making a decision. I feel my skills with XYZ would be a great asset to your company and I hope to have the opportunity to work with you"

I see nothing wrong with being direct and expressing interest. Depending on the job market they may want to focus on candidates who are excited.

Being too pushy would be following up daily but two weeks is reasonable IMO.

• Like 5
CautiouslyOptimistic

Pick up the phone and call tomorrow and ask if the position has been filled yet. Good luck!

• Like 2
Pick up the phone and call tomorrow and ask if the position has been filled yet.

Agreed. People think hiring is a well-oiled assembly-line process that yields a carefully considered candidate. The reality is often very opposite, it can be an extra duty foisted on already overworked managers with fairly capricious results and I've seen applicants hired because their follow-up inquiry simply landed at the right time.

Nothing wrong with checking in to indicate your interest in the position...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2

When I was job searching, I always like articles from Liz Ryan that I found on the internet, for similar questions/topics.

Sounds reasonable to follow-up but also keep pursuing other options.

Two weeks ago tomorrow, I interviewed for a job that I REALLY want. I am a teacher, and this would be for a residential morning monitor at a boarding / day school. This would mean a 30 mile drive each way M-F, as well as one weekend a month be on. I have NO PROBLEM with this because this is where I want to eventually be : teaching in some capacity in a boarding school / private school. In the meantime,

<SNIP>

Sorry but this happen to me as well. If they are interviewing other candidate for the job they might be considering someone else. Two weeks you haven't heard a word. Either they felt you were too far away 30 each way that's 60 round trip. Or they decided to go with someone closer/and more experience.

Did they ask you STAR questions?

What sort of function you did at your last position that you can tell us that you were in. This sort of question means it's about you no one else should be mentioned.

Task you had performed

Action you had taken and why.

Results you ended up with?

If you got one of these you were hit with how did you handle yourself. But I feel you didn't get the job because they had gone with someone else. Another thing is something happen to the job offer. So many things could have gone wrong. Don't call them up to ask them because by doing that will make it you some unprofessional.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

Unless you didn't write the part where they said words to the effect pf he ''we'll be in touch about second interviews' or something similar it sounds to me as though you didn't get the role you interviewed for but rather they got a strong impression from you that what you would prefer to be doing is substitute teaching with them instead of the morning monitor role.

It sounded like their replied implied they will hold your CV and details should anything come up in future.

Did you perhaps give them the impression that you didn't really want the role which you were being interviewed for?

Also, if you are currently teaching then a morning monitor role would be a step down from that surely? One said your history was impressive - maybe they see you as over qualified for the role?

Their answers in the thank you replies seem very vague. How frustrating. Did you tell them you are interested in the position?

• Author
mortensorchid

I sent another follow up, they responded. I got the job. BOOM!

• Like 7