Reasons behind her sudden outrage?

AgainstAllOdds1

I work in an office of about 40-50 people. As I relocated for the position and work some odd hours, most of the people I meet and befriend are those I see 40-plus hour a week at the office.

Perhaps the person I get along with best is a female coworker who usually sits near me a couple days a week. We seem to hit it off and a few times grabbed a quick bite after work (not a date). Occasionally we banter, which goes both ways and is always lighthearted. That all came to a screeching halt last week.

I woke up one morning and saw I was tagged in a social media post of hers - lashing out at me and implying that I harass her (not true). I texted her quickly saying that if there's a problem, address me directly instead of putting on a show. She apologized for her outburst and took the post down, not wanting to further escalate the situation.

Unsurprisingly, she's been cold to me all week in the office. One of our mutual friends in the office tried to joke about the situation, saying he's used to seeing us always talking and laughing, and asked if we're ok. She sternly kept saying there's "nothing to see here, move on." I changed the topic by making a joke about something else.

I am stumped trying to figure out what I may have done here. Your thoughts? We banter, but she called it "refreshing" a couple days before the outburst. I know she is in a relationship, and that's nothing I'd ever intend to interfere with. But this may all be a distant memory soon, because our company is opening up a new branch and I've been recruited for weeks to make the move along with several members of my team.

Stay away from her and fer gawd sakes unfriend her on FB, what are you doing with coworkers on your FB.

What she did was so far over the line that she will no doubt take this up with HR at a later point and you might be fired.

Protect yourself, you are about to learn a lesson and at your own expense.

Leave her alone and document any interaction with her with saved texts and emails..

• Author
AgainstAllOdds1
Stay away from her and fer gawd sakes unfriend her on FB, what are you doing with coworkers on your FB.

What she did was so far over the line that she will no doubt take this up with HR at a later point and you might be fired.

Protect yourself, you are about to learn a lesson and at your own expense.

Leave her alone and document any interaction with her with saved texts and emails..

Our company relies on social media, so most of us are connected on it. It's not a work environment where people work and then go their own way on their off days - we have friends in the office.

I don't know what lesson I would learn. I did nothing in the wrong.

Edited by AgainstAllOdds1

Who knows. It may have nothing to do with you per se you just caught some fall out. Something personal at home or in her relationship that had or has her in a mood. One thing I always have issues with is employees bringing personal issues to the work place. When I started in business many years ago another business guy told me something from the start and it has proved true. When you hire someone you also have hired there problems.

I know she is in a relationship, and that's nothing I'd ever intend to interfere with.

I'd guess therein lies your answer. BF saw your communication with her, expressed his discomfort and she threw you under the bus. As you've been advised, give her a very wide berth.

It's the world we live - and work - in...

Mr. Lucky

Our company relies on social media, so most of us are connected on it. It's not a work environment where people work and then go their own way on their off days - we have friends in the office.

I don't know what lesson I would learn. I did nothing in the wrong.

You don't have to have work mates on your FB...

Most companies rely on social media and don't require their workers to connect with each other.. even my company has a page but be darned if I would ever have an employee on my FB as a friend...

She posted a message on FB for others to see accusing you of harassing her.. be very careful if you like having a paycheck...

Keep it professional and distant.

There are loose cannons out there.

She's obviously immature and someone you don't want to be around.