Recruiter ignoring me

newlywedder

This recruiter kept blowing up my phone for several days about this job. We kept playing phone tag as I couldn't get ahold of her. Finally, we were able to connect and I was told about this great opportunity. I ended up interviewing at the company.

I spent $60 on materials for a new portfolio and $80 on a new outfit. I thought I did really well in the interview too. I was emotionally connected afterwards, a feeling I rarely get after interviewing. On every occasion that I felt like that, I ended up getting a job offer. I decided to send an email thank you note and a thank you card to everyone I interviewed with by snail mail. I rarely do this but I felt the urge in this case.

Two weeks roll by and I haven't heard anything back. I reached out to the recruiter by email and phone but haven't gotten a response.

Is it typical of recruiters to leave you hanging and ignore you if you had been rejected? I have a feeling this is the case here.

WhatYouWantToHear

In paragraph 2 you got a job offer. In paragraph 4 you were rejected.

Your story doesn't make sense.

• Author
newlywedder

I said in the past when I felt similar like I did in this opportunity, I got a job offer. You mis-read.

Anyways, I finally got a response from the recruiter. I did not get the position. Back to the drawing board.

Yes, this has happened to me. I think that recruiters work on commission so if you get rejected then they might move on to the next person. It sounds harsh, I know, but it’s true.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite is when they send you an offer letter with a start date and you never hear from them again. I had to turn in my notice to my temp job and in two weeks will be out of work over this. Next week, I am going to withdraw from my 401k to pay off my house. Gotta to love this new job market.

My favorite is when they send you an offer letter with a start date and you never hear from them again. I had to turn in my notice to my temp job and in two weeks will be out of work over this. Next week, I am going to withdraw from my 401k to pay off my house. Gotta to love this new job market.

That sounds very unethical. Did you ever contact anyone else at the agency to find out what happened?

That sounds very unethical. Did you ever contact anyone else at the agency to find out what happened?

Yes, I did. I was told they will get around to it. Not too promising. I am asking a friend who works there for insight into what is going on. Going to wait until next Monday and ask if I can stay at my old job. I have 3 job interviews this week at other companies so hopefully one of those will work out. But you are right, it is totally unethical. These companies nowadays are horrible. At least be up front about things instead of screwing people over. I’m sure these people wouldn’t want this to happen to them.

Yes, I did. I was told they will get around to it. Not too promising. I am asking a friend who works there for insight into what is going on. Going to wait until next Monday and ask if I can stay at my old job. I have 3 job interviews this week at other companies so hopefully one of those will work out. But you are right, it is totally unethical. These companies nowadays are horrible. At least be up front about things instead of screwing people over. I’m sure these people wouldn’t want this to happen to them.

They’ll “get around to it”? How horrible.

I would just forget about them and move on. Ick.

Contemplative72

Please do not take any action from a recruiter personally. Always keep in mind that recruiters work for the employers and not the job hunters at all. They feign interest in you solely to get their job orders met. It is the absolute worst job I’ve ever had and I only took it because it was that or my kids would starve.

Do your very best to never use a recruiting firm or temp agency if you can. It is a dehumanizing process. And I worked for a top agency too. There are no good ones. Trust me.

Please do not take any action from a recruiter personally. Always keep in mind that recruiters work for the employers and not the job hunters at all. They feign interest in you solely to get their job orders met. It is the absolute worst job I’ve ever had and I only took it because it was that or my kids would starve.

Do your very best to never use a recruiting firm or temp agency if you can. It is a dehumanizing process. And I worked for a top agency too. There are no good ones. Trust me.

You are correct. I actually had a recruiter call me -- actually last week - who "found my resume online" - I did not apply for this job. I took a call with them, and then half way through the call, I realized the hours would not work for me and the commute would just be too far. No lie, the woman hung up on me rigth after I said that before I could say good bye. It was so rude.

• Like 1
Contemplative72
You are correct. I actually had a recruiter call me -- actually last week - who "found my resume online" - I did not apply for this job. I took a call with them, and then half way through the call, I realized the hours would not work for me and the commute would just be too far. No lie, the woman hung up on me rigth after I said that before I could say good bye. It was so rude.

I’m not surprised. The one thing I swore never to do is treat the job hopefuls like a number. That meant spending more time interviewing them so that they never felt like I was wasting their time. Tried to provide constructive criticism whether about the format of their resume or compliment how they looked polished or an aspect of their personality I saw as a strength for them to play up next time around. Suffice it to say, I didn’t last very long in the role because I simply can’t go against my own moral code like that and look at myself in the mirror.