Are there ways to get a song to a certain artist?

Hi.

l write a lot of songs but l've never done anything with them.

But there is one recently l'd love to put with a certain artist and if he'd like it , for him to do the song it's him all over.

And of course to make some money also.

However , there is one thing about the artist l had in mind , he's never been main stream although still huge for a lotta years but, not much from him last 10 yrs or so and he mainly does smaller venues when he does tour.

So commercially wise it might be better with someone else if l could think of someone else l'd like to do the song.

l'm wondering how could l go about getting the song to them , l'm not in the states. And l'd probably need to protect it in some way too l'd say , other than on trust.

But really , if l could actually contact personally a specific artist then l'd like to think he would respect the fact l've written the song and not scam me buttt, dunno anything about that side of things.

Any ideas ?

Edited by Chilli

Before you share your work, copyright it. Here's the link to the US Copyright office: https://www.copyright.gov/

Next find out the name & address of the artist's manager / agent. Contact them with a professional query letter.

• Author

Ha, thanks very much for that doni , l will then l'll look into all that and thanks for the link too.

You have to copyright your songs first or someone will just steal them. Then you try to get a publishing company interested in you. If you're only wanting one artist to do it, first consider if this artist even records songs by other people or writes his/her own. Most original artists aren't collaborating with anyone outside the band. So really, the best way to write a song for someone is to get in the band.

I used to work for a label group and I can just tell you that sending your music to them is generally a waste of time and not going to get listened to. Of course, you can copyright it and get your own band (or you solo) to put it on the internet and see if you get interest. I mean, musicians do scan the internet for new music. You could drop a tweet or fb to the artist with the link. But again, don't waste your time if they write their own.

• Author

Thanks for that insight preraph, appreciated.

l do know a lot of artist collaborate a bit also but l guess not with nobodies haha.

The artist l had in mind writes all his own stuff so from what you think he;d be a waste of time anyway.

Nope no bands for me , l was already in the arts once , not goin back.

Maybe l just send it to my ex gf , it's about her anyway, and she can deal with it haha. Then l can destroy my copy and never have to look at it again. There's a thought.

Edited by Chilli
amaysngrace

Record it yourself and put it up on YouTube. It'll go viral if it's any good and you keep all your money.

• Like 1