Etiquette for Job Searching & Networks?

A little background: my boss and I are the only ones in our corporate workplace that perform our job function. I just learned today that my boss will be taking another job. I knew for a while she wasn't happy, so it's not like I'm total blindsided by this development.

I actually went through an interview process with another company and received a job offer, about 2 months ago. They had recruited me, and with my philosophy being to keep all doors open, I listened and went through the process as it did sound interesting. I didn't end up taking the job, as my current employer beat the compensation package and increased my job scope that was offered, so I stayed. (I was super torn about the decision, but felt I made the right one to stay at my current job. I did my best to keep the relationship intact with the recruiter I turned down. Key note: I also made a "verbal commitment" to play out a major project I will be working on.)

I get recruited fairly regularly by companies in my area, as my field is somewhat specialized. For example now, I'm talking to a large company for an open role, and my boss even mentioned that she will have a few open roles under her at the new company and that she would totally take me with her. (Which I would be open to, as she has been a great mentor.)

I haven't been in a position with options like this, so I'm not exactly sure what the etiquette is as far as jumping ship so soon after getting a raise and increased role. (I imagine it will essentially burn the bridge as I would screw the company.) I know I gave my word about staying - I didn't sign anything, which I'm not sure is legal anyway - but at the same time there's a feeling that I need to do what's best for me if an awesome offer comes up.

Anyone been through something similar and made a decision to leave? Or maybe had another follow-up negotiation with current employer? Thanks

There is no such thing as corporate loyalty any more. Just because you got a raise does not obligate you to stay. Especially because your boss is leaving things will change.

It's is professional & courteous to give at least 2 weeks notice. If your industry isn't the type to walk you out the door the second you quit, if you can manage longer notice offer the company 3+ weeks to smooth the transition but 2 weeks is minimum.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

If I give someone my word, then I follow through with it.

You made a "verbal commitment" to finish this major project, in my opinion, I think you should honor your word.

As far as your recruiter/headhunter, I never contacted mine until I was ready to make a change. If she contacted me, I told her I'm not quite ready for a change, but will contact her when I am. Moreover, I didn't take every job, she sent me on. I refused some companies where I didn't think I would fit in. My headhunter developed a "feel" for the types of companies I liked and positions I would fit into, so I only used her for job changing.

Your boss can do as she wishes. You didn't mention if she has also verbally committed to finishing this major project, if she did, then that is her decision to live with.

Just my two cents...

Good Luck.

• Like 1
  • Author
There is no such thing as corporate loyalty any more. Just because you got a raise does not obligate you to stay. Especially because your boss is leaving things will change.

It's is professional & courteous to give at least 2 weeks notice. If your industry isn't the type to walk you out the door the second you quit, if you can manage longer notice offer the company 3+ weeks to smooth the transition but 2 weeks is minimum.

Others I've spoken to have said the same as far as doing what's best for me. Sort of under the idea that I'm an at-will employee anyway, and they could lay me off any day for whatever reason.

You made a "verbal commitment" to finish this major project, in my opinion, I think you should honor your word.

As far as your recruiter/headhunter, I never contacted mine until I was ready to make a change. If she contacted me, I told her I'm not quite ready for a change, but will contact her when I am. Moreover, I didn't take every job, she sent me on. I refused some companies where I didn't think I would fit in. My headhunter developed a "feel" for the types of companies I liked and positions I would fit into, so I only used her for job changing.

Your boss can do as she wishes. You didn't mention if she has also verbally committed to finishing this major project, if she did, then that is her decision to live with.

Just my two cents...

Good Luck.

This has been a big part of my thought process. Another of my coworkers actually announced today he found a new job as well.

If people keep leaving, even with my moral compass it might be hard to stay aboard a sinking ship that I'm not even the captain of. Purely hypothetical, but I just have to wonder to myself when I should heed the writings on the wall.

It's a risk either way for sure, I'll just have to take it day by day but keeping my word does weigh heavily for me.

Agreed. Though that’s more about me than the company I’m working for.

I’ve tried to look at my career from a macro perspective, an approach that occasionally penalizes you in the short term. I also bypassed a lot of people ready to jump to the next great opportunity...

Mr. Lucky