Job was Reposted!

newlywedder

I had two interviews for a position that I think went well. I asked about the next steps after the second interview and was told they have other candidates doing second interviews too.

A week later, I received a rejection letter saying that the team had a meeting and are going to pursue the other candidates. I was upset because I really thought I would perform well in the position.

Yesterday, the same job was reposted on various job boards but the same ID # on the company site so I can't reapply. I wonder if I should send the hiring manager an email asking about the position and reaffirm that I am still interested.

What do you think happened? Why was this position reposted if they had other candidates they liked more than me? Wouldn't the job then go to me if those other candidates didn't want the job?

They didn't like any of the people they interviewed. They just told you they were leaning towards someone else to spare your feelings.

No need to contact them.

WhatYouWantToHear
What do you think happened? Why was this position reposted if they had other candidates they liked more than me? Wouldn't the job then go to me if those other candidates didn't want the job?

You've made a false assumption with all your questions. The answer to all of those is--they didn't want you for the job.

Why this? Why that? What if? How come? It all comes down to they didn't want you for the job.

losangelena

Very often, "we're looking at other candidates" is polite speak for, "we know we don't want to move forward with you." That's probably why, if for some reason it didn't work out with those other candidates, you're still not hearing from them.

I'm sure some will discourage you, but I don't think there's anything wrong with reasserting your interest. What's the worst that could happen? They've already said no, and they could just say no again.

I wonder if I should send the hiring manager an email asking about the position and reaffirm that I am still interested.

I wouldn't do that -- they made a decision and decided that you weren't the right candidate for that position. You don't need to reaffirm yourself. They were aware of your interest when you applied and interviewed with them.

1) their response to you was standard/polite - one I've heard before as well during job searches 2) they decided to start fresh and interview more candidates 3) no, the job wouldn't go you to you if the other candidates didn't accept an offer. They clearly came to the conclusion that you were not a fit regardless of the whys.

Edited by Zahara