Getting Vacation as a contractor

Every year, I like to take 10 - 14 days off to travel. I take all the time off at once. Two years ago, I was fired from my job and had to join the wonderful world of contracting. Since then, I have the worse time getting vacations approved.

In my first contracting job, I asked off for my two weeks and my request was ingored. So I got another contract job and the Recuriter told me it was cleared with my management. Once I started that job, I was told I could not vacation in September or October. I proceeded to raise heck about it and got it approved as it was previously promised to me. It made my team lead very angry and he tried to get me fired the week before my vacation but was not able to.

When I came back from vacation I got a new contract job and submitted my vacation two weeks ago. This boss is ingoring my request too, so I am looking for a new job again and plan on putting this into the negotiations.

Why is it such a pain for contractors to get time off? How do you get the time off you need without it getting recalled or creating a bunch of drama? Seriously, it’s only 2 weeks. Not sure why that is such a big deal. They have no problems with their permanent employees taking vacations.

Happy Lemming

Can you "temp"?? I remember "temping" in my youth and could pretty much set my own hours and days??

Just a thought...

From the company's perspective you take the time off between contracts. If the employer wanted to deal with somebody who wanted / needed time off they would have made or kept the position as an employee.

• Like 1

Contractors by definition set their own hours, flow of work and pricing. If the customer controls any of that they're an employee not an independent contractor. My customers can certainly fire me but they can't tell me how to run my business. I'm going on vacation this week and not one can tell me any different. Been doing same for nearly 40 years.

If you're a 'contract employee' you're not a contractor.

• Like 1
  • Author

This may be rude to say but, since I’m just a contractor and will never be more than that, I’m just not invested in the companies or the temp agencies all that much. I really don’t feel like giving up vacations or only taking them Janruary when the tour companies are closed, it’s cold or miss out on valuable family time to apprease some company/temp agency.

I have this huge trip planned and intend to take it this fall. Since the vacation request doesn’t seem to be working, thought about saying I’m having surgery, have to assist a sick relative or getting married. Maybe one those of will do the trick. They can’t make me prove otherwise because of HIPPA for the healthcare stuff. I won’t be working there next year so I could use those excuses with the next temp job too.

Just ignoring a vacation request or declining it last minute is just wrong. Last Friday, they declined my out office 30 minutes before my surgery. I was literally sitting there in the hospital with the IV in my hand and getting ready to be wheeled into OR. So what did I do, act like I never saw it. They had no idea that the only half day I asked for besides my vacation was for surgery. I went home after and dialed in.

It really stinks to see everyone in the office working flexible schedules, taking vacations, getting holiday pay, paid training and such while you’re stuck working for the biggest butthole in the office. Two weeks off is not going to make or break one of these places.

By your post it reads to me as if vaca's are priority 1 or you feel entitled to them even by means deceiving an employer to get what you want. You gave up the benefits of a full time employee by getting terminated. I guarantee you people I contract work for don't care about my whims or what is convenient for me or my employees. They hire subs to get a job done.

Im no diff than other employers that if I called an agency for sub help and if that sub started asking for time off the very next phone call is a discussion with the agency rep.

Are you asking for PAID time off or unpaid time off? Contractors are typically not entitled to paid time off, that's one of the perks of employment - and that's also one of the reasons, alongside medical etc benefits, that companies contract wherever possible. It costs them less. So obviously you don't have a leg to stand on if that's what you want.

If you're asking for unpaid time off and have given them notice in advance of the contract being signed, AND they're still raising hell... I'd go ahead and take it anyway. I have the contract to back me up.

You do realize that if your employer finds out you lied, you will be subject to termination for cause which means no unemployment, right?

Perhaps you need to revisit how you work. Either become a consultant, where you set your hours & days, become a F/T employee who gets vacation or take your trips between contracts.

You have to understand that your employer pays you money to do things on the employer's schedule at the employer's convenience, not yours.

• Author
By your post it reads to me as if vaca's are priority 1 or you feel entitled to them even by means deceiving an employer to get what you want. You gave up the benefits of a full time employee by getting terminated. I guarantee you people I contract work for don't care about my whims or what is convenient for me or my employees. They hire subs to get a job done.

Im no diff than other employers that if I called an agency for sub help and if that sub started asking for time off the very next phone call is a discussion with the agency rep.

I was fired in retaliation for filing a sexual

Harassment claim against a co-worker who tried to force himself on me in the parking lot at work. After my refusal to kiss him, he continued to persue me in the office until he was in the middle of doing so and ran into my husband who I had meet me for lunch at work. I filed the complaint with my boss so I wouldn’t have to sit by this piece of shxx anymore. Ten months later, I was fired by a female boss. The co-worker went out to LinkedIn and gave the female boss and our AVP recommendations. I am thinking about suing them. He should be the one working temp jobs now and not me.

Don't ask. Tell. You're a contractor. During hiring, tell them, "I have a 2 week vacation in September."

Don't ask. Tell. You're a contractor. During hiring, tell them, "I have a 2 week vacation in September."

This ^^ And have it written into your contract before you sign it.

That said, my friends who contract take their leave between contracts. If you've got holidays coming up, perhaps take a shorter contract.

• Like 1
  • Author

So far, I’ve been lucky and have had no lag time between contracts. Three or more months before my contracts end, I jump ship and go to another one. I don't take any time off in between which is why I take vacations while under contract. Sometimes, time off may be needed for weddings, surgeries, the flu or other occassions that can’t be scheduled around contract end dates. They may not like it but everybody needs a few days off besides the unpaid holidays. Several years ago, these contracting companies offered holiday pay, vacation pay and retirement benefits. It’s a real shame that they’ve gotten so greedy. Guessing that’s why they are begging for people to work then now.

So far, I’ve been lucky and have had no lag time between contracts. Three or more months before my contracts end, I jump ship and go to another one. I don't take any time off in between which is why I take vacations while under contract. Sometimes, time off may be needed for weddings, surgeries, the flu or other occassions that can’t be scheduled around contract end dates. They may not like it but everybody needs a few days off besides the unpaid holidays.

Well, that's on you, isn't it? It's generally expected that contractors don't get the same perks as permanent employees do. It's a tradeoff, more autonomy, flexibility and easier to get a job, in exchange for not having those perks. If you want the vacation, either: (1) focus on looking for a permanent job instead of contracting, or (2) stop stringing your contracts one after another, or (3) take unpaid leave and mention it in the contract.

Several years ago, these contracting companies offered holiday pay, vacation pay and retirement benefits. It’s a real shame that they’ve gotten so greedy. Guessing that’s why they are begging for people to work then now.
I've been contracting for a few years and never encountered this. Frankly I would never expect that, either, as I'm well aware of the tradeoffs that I make. Companies don't exist to pander to your and my every need.
  • Like 1
So far, I’ve been lucky and have had no lag time between contracts. Three or more months before my contracts end, I jump ship and go to another one. I don't take any time off in between which is why I take vacations while under contract. Sometimes, time off may be needed for weddings, surgeries, the flu or other occassions that can’t be scheduled around contract end dates. They may not like it but everybody needs a few days off besides the unpaid holidays. Several years ago, these contracting companies offered holiday pay, vacation pay and retirement benefits. It’s a real shame that they’ve gotten so greedy. Guessing that’s why they are begging for people to work then now.

See as an employer this is where you lose me. It reads like you can't plan. Instead of taking time for yourself between contract which is the perk you get instead of holiday pay & vacation; you get the flexibility to take off 1 week, 1 month, 6 months or a year between gigs. Your failure to take advantage of that flexibility, should not burden your employer with the obligation to allow you to break the contract. The employer is paying for 6 months of work. For you to only provide 5 1/2 months of work is you not honoring your end of the bargain. If you tell the employer up front you have something planned for the middle the employer then can think about whether you are worth it & extend the contract to make up for your absence or the employer can hire a different candidate.

On some level it may be what's wrong with the American economy that few people are employees with various safeguards -- vacation, retirement, etc. -- but a deal is a deal. You accepting the deal, then trying to change it is not fair.

You need to plan better & take off for pleasure between contracts. Obviously surgery & things that can't be planned are different.

• Like 1
See as an employer this is where you lose me. It reads like you can't plan. Instead of taking time for yourself between contract which is the perk you get instead of holiday pay & vacation; you get the flexibility to take off 1 week, 1 month, 6 months or a year between gigs. Your failure to take advantage of that flexibility, should not burden your employer with the obligation to allow you to break the contract. The employer is paying for 6 months of work. For you to only provide 5 1/2 months of work is you not honoring your end of the bargain. If you tell the employer up front you have something planned for the middle the employer then can think about whether you are worth it & extend the contract to make up for your absence or the employer can hire a different candidate.

On some level it may be what's wrong with the American economy that few people are employees with various safeguards -- vacation, retirement, etc. -- but a deal is a deal. You accepting the deal, then trying to change it is not fair.

You need to plan better & take off for pleasure between contracts. Obviously surgery & things that can't be planned are different.

I haven't even had too many issues with taking unpaid leave in the middle of a contract, assuming the timing isn't terrible.

The OP wants PAID leave, which is just ridiculous as a contractor IMO. I mean, while we're at it, why not expect a free mansion, yacht, and an all-expenses-paid year-long Europe trip? :p

• Like 1
newlywedder

Contracting isn't for everyone. You get abused and treated subpar compared to the actual employees.

I'm trying to get out of contracting too after doing it 2 years. Now, the direct hire opportunities don't seem to be interested in me because I been a contractor so long. It makes me look bad to them.

Contracting is a hole that I may never climb out of.

Contracting isn't for everyone. You get abused and treated subpar compared to the actual employees.

I'm trying to get out of contracting too after doing it 2 years. Now, the direct hire opportunities don't seem to be interested in me because I been a contractor so long. It makes me look bad to them.

Contracting is a hole that I may never climb out of.

It's a tradeoff, different strokes for different folks. I love contracting because I set my own hours, rates and work schedule (and that of my team's), I can take as much leave as I want (albeit unpaid), and I am not bound to any employee requirements. Works well for us because due to the nature of the SO's job, flexibility is more important in mine than paid time off. I wouldn't want to go back to traditional employment.

The OP seems to want the best of both worlds - to set his/her own schedule and jump ship as he/she likes, while still having paid time off. Generally, cakes can't be eaten while still existing.