Are you always motivated at work?

If I'm working on something cool, I'm too busy to worry about being motivated. I won't even notice that I worked 12 hours straight. If I'm not working on something cool, I don't care. I save my work for when the boss is around, so I look busy.

99% of the time. I usually end up in jobs where there's tons of work that needs to be done and people whose lives will be easier if the work is done so that's my motivation.

I was always motivated the many times I worked for someone else. Made the day go by a lot faster.

Now that I work for myself, I tend to goof off a bit too much. But since I'm my own boss, and my only employee (who works for free) I can't really fire myself. ;)

But the benefits suck.

I'm the most unmotivated person there is. Unless I have no choice. But I always atleast cover my bases. It's obvious I get SOME work done, or I wouldn't have a job.

I'm just burned out.

the motivation from me comes from inside to do the best and be the best I can. All my work is a reflection on me personally. Some days are better than others, however.

I used to be motivated at work...back when I felt appreciated. Now, my bosses seem to think that I have "a lot of free time" so they try to give me extra work to fill in that free time. There are lots of people here who have very little to do, but they always LOOK busy, so the bosses brag about how great they are.

But I'm very organized and efficient, and I STAY BUSY, except for three days out of the month, where I have very little to do, and it only takes me half a day to do it.

But rather than sit around doing nothing in my spare time, I help the filing girl, because she's so covered up. So now, I have a lot of free time *apparently* so when the other office employee quits in August, I'm going to get their jost PLUS mine.

My job is full time...their job is full time...yet I'm going to be expected to do BOTH...for the price of one. :mad:

Alphamale has a great answer

the motivation from me comes from inside to do the best and be the best I can. All my work is a reflection on me personally. Some days are better than others, however.

Here's an additional consideration for motivation as well:

If your're like the millions of other people who know they are going to have to work for the rest of their lives, then there is no excuse for not making every effort you can, to pursue a career that you are passionate about spending that many hours of your lifetime at. If you are passionate about what you do for a living, motivation is not nearly as hard to come by.

You love what you're doing, hence you do it all the time - it's not even like a "job" as much as a life purpose.

Secondly, if you absolutely love what you do, you will almost inevitably enjoy the success of your passion: either financially, mentally, or physically.

Everyone has days where they feel burned out or empty in their chosen profession - thats just life. On those days you just do what you have to, and wait for the inspiration to regain a foothold over the next few days. Inevitably it always comes back - because you love what you do.

For those who are not doing what they wanted to do with their working lives, those factors (outside of mental or physical impairments) rest entirely in your hands. Does it mean you have to return to school? does it mean you need to change jobs? Does it mean you need to change continents? make the effort, make the change for you. It's your life.

This philosphy has worked absolute wonders for me. Yes it has involved some scary decisions, three house sales, several moves around the country with my wife and 4 year old daughter: but ultimately it led to the achievement of what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, and now I am "at work peace" with myself, and do not feel as though every day is painful loss of another 8-10 of my life.

Love what you do, and you will rarely have to find additional motivation :)

Sorry for the long post. As you can see, I am particularly passionate about this subject hahahahahaha

My job is computer based. Seeing that I'm on here alot means that there isn't alot of work to keep me motivated. The only motivation I get is when the phone rings or people come in. So, I kindof have to keep myself going at times.

I chew alot of gum and drink water and tea. So, I will go back and forth to the bathroom so it will keep me from falling asleep. LOL

My job is full time...their job is full time...yet I'm going to be expected to do BOTH...for the price of one.

Well that's what you get for working so hard :p

Remember what they say: By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day.

:laugh:

Originally posted by agnf666

My job is computer based.

Mine is too. I sit in front of a computer all day, so it makes LS really easy and accessible. Sometimes I take a break and work.

I pretend to work, they pretend to pay me.

Isn't it great Tiki :D !!! I get on here all the time...

I would have it no other way!