Bait and Switch Job Offer

newlywedder

I applied to a full time permanent job last month and was offered the position today. The catch was they decided to change the job from permanent to a 3-6 month contract to hire. The reason was that it was a new position for the company so so didn't know if they would need it long-term. This is definitely a red flag big time.

No way would I have applied if I knew it was a contract to hire role so am bothered by this. I currently am in a contract role that pays $20+ more hourly than this contract to hire role would offer.

I feel disapointed that this happened to me. Have you ever experienced this? Did you take the job anyways?

I applied to a full time permanent job last month and was offered the position today. The catch was they decided to change the job from permanent to a 3-6 month contract to hire. The reason was that it was a new position for the company so so didn't know if they would need it long-term. This is definitely a red flag big time.

No way would I have applied if I knew it was a contract to hire role so am bothered by this. I currently am in a contract role that pays $20+ more hourly than this contract to hire role would offer.

I feel disapointed that this happened to me. Have you ever experienced this? Did you take the job anyways?

It really depends on where you live and what the job regulations there are. In many places, it doesn't actually matter too much - if the regulations governing staff layoffs/severance are very loose, a company can pretty much dismiss a "permanent" hire as easily as they could a contractor. Also depends on lots of other factors - what else can this job offer you besides just the money? If it's just the money, then obviously you should stay in your current job.

I have heard of it happening but I have not experienced it first hand. I would not take the job while I had other options. If you had been out of work for a while with no unemployment, I'd say 3 months of a paycheck while you looked for something else would be better then starving.