LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Business Plans & Investors

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2018, 2:13 PM   #1
Established Member

Business Plans & Investors

Anyone here with experience on doing a business plan and working with investors? I’m working on something and want to make sure I haven’t left anything out.

The plan is currently just over 50 pages, includes an executive summary, company description, market analysis, organization/management, funding request, financial projections, and exit strategies - among other things.

Any suggestions or insights?
bathtub-row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2018, 2:19 PM   #2
Established Member

Do you live in the US?

If so make an appointment with your local SBDC (it's a division of the SBA). One of the counselors there will go over your plan with you.

Also reach out to an organization called SCORE.org. They are retired executives, often investors themselves. A committee of 3-4 but sometimes just 1 will meet with you to review & revise your plan. There are confidentiality agreements so your ideas are protected.

50 pages sounds long . . . there are probably places you can tighten things up to be more succinct.

Do an internet search for preparing for meetings with angel investors & venture capitalists. There is stuff out there but I can't speak to the quality.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2018, 2:26 PM   #3
Established Member

Iím in the States. We have connections for investors and Iíd prefer to go that route first. But Iíll definitely keep the other thing in mind if it comes to that, and will look at Score to see if they can offer direction. Thank you!

Due to the type of business itíll be, a lot of the pages in the business plan have to do with photos of certain items, which clarifies things for the investor.
Old 25th June 2018, 2:29 PM   #4
Established Member

Neither organization is a link to investors. They are just business advice groups but you can make appointments for 1 on 1 counseling & it's FREE. I have had hit or miss with them both.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2018, 2:38 PM   #5
Established Member

Ok. Good to know. I think you gave me that info once before. Iím glad for the reminder.
Old 6th July 2018, 12:55 PM   #6
Established Member

I’d also like to hear from people who have personally dealt with investors, or even investors. Just curious about first-hand experiences.
Old 6th July 2018, 11:28 PM   #7
Established Member

I manage a company owned by 4 investors through a LLC. One is the Managing Member and it's with him I have the most interaction. The others only show up quarterly to get paid.

There are as many different types of investors as there are investments out there. I'd anticipate in advance things won't always go smoothly and address that possibility in any agreement you might have. I'd also prefer to work with investors with whom I felt some compatibility, especially in corporate and financial goals. The ones to avoid are those that feel 10% ownership gives them 100% control.

In any discussion with potential investors, I'd want to under-promise with the hope of over-delivering...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 1:37 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
I manage a company owned by 4 investors through a LLC. One is the Managing Member and it's with him I have the most interaction. The others only show up quarterly to get paid.

There are as many different types of investors as there are investments out there. I'd anticipate in advance things won't always go smoothly and address that possibility in any agreement you might have. I'd also prefer to work with investors with whom I felt some compatibility, especially in corporate and financial goals. The ones to avoid are those that feel 10% ownership gives them 100% control.

In any discussion with potential investors, I'd want to under-promise with the hope of over-delivering...

Mr. Lucky
Good info! Thank you. What are investors looking for when someone presents them with a business idea? Of course, Iím sure the potential to make money is primary. I feel that my business plan is extremely professional looking, as well as the investor slides. Can anything be done to tip the scales in my favor?
Old 12th July 2018, 2:02 AM   #9
Established Member

Most investors are looking for proven concepts managed by someone with a track record of success in the field. Why are you raising money - start up? Expansion? Acquisition? Each tends to attract a different type of investor...

Mr. Lucky
Old 12th July 2018, 11:21 AM   #10
Established Member

Itís for a start-up retail store in a proven highly successful area. Co-owner has 13 yrs of experience managing a successful retail business. I have many years experience in management. We also bring along two alternate streams of income that can be implemented in conjunction with the store.
Old 12th July 2018, 2:22 PM   #11
Established Member

Sounds like you’re well planned, would probably come down to a question of ROI for a potential investor...

Mr. Lucky
Old 12th July 2018, 2:28 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
Sounds like youíre well planned, would probably come down to a question of ROI for a potential investor...

Mr. Lucky
Good! Thank you.