what would you do?

newlywedder

I have a second interview tomorrow with a company nearby. The recruiter says it is a good sign they want to hire me. The problem is the pay is a lot lower than what I am making now and it is a mid-level role. The interview is on Wednesday.

Just now, I received and accepted an interview request from a company that pays quite well. The interview is on Friday. I been wanting to work at that company for a long time now. It is a senior level role.

That company is a fortune 500 company so the hiring process could take a long time, provided they like me and offer me a position.

The first company is smaller so they would give an offer right away if I did well.

I'm not sure what to do in case the first company offers me the position. I really need a full-time job since I am sick of working contract.

What would you do in this situation?

Simple.

If you're offered the job on Wednesday, tell them you will consider it and get back to them by the end of the week.

I'm somewhat surprised you didn't think of this yourself and automatically assumed you are required to give an answer on the spot.

• Like 2
Simple.

If you're offered the job on Wednesday, tell them you will consider it and get back to them by the end of the week.

I'm somewhat surprised you didn't think of this yourself and automatically assumed you are required to give an answer on the spot.

Agree, no need to answer on the spot.

Give them a deadline of Monday/Tuesday.

If that worries you tell them you're going away Thursday for some family trip or something.

If that worries you tell them you're going away Thursday for some family trip or something.

I don't like the unnecessary lie.

I mean, why go there if you don't have to.

Letting them know you'll get back to them in a few days is sufficient no need to pad it with a fake excuse.

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

Or...... accept the offer verbally. It will take them time to actually produce a contract. See where you go with the second job. If you are successful tell the first one that you received a better offer...

• Like 1
Or...... accept the offer verbally. It will take them time to actually produce a contract. See where you go with the second job. If you are successful tell the first one that you received a better offer...

That works too. Unless they say "Great we've got the contract right here, and you can even keep the pen as a welcome gift".

I don't like the unnecessary lie.

I mean, why go there if you don't have to.

Letting them know you'll get back to them in a few days is sufficient no need to pad it with a fake excuse.

With respect, it makes no odds to me if you like it or not. :)

The OP can use it if they feel uncomfortable for any reason and the vibe I got was that they may feel obliged to make a fast answer to an offer.

Lies can sometimes backfire, deception can sometimes be sensed, it's not good practice and not a good way to start a new career.

WasOtherWoman

As you said, the hiring process in a Fortune 500 company could be lengthy. So - if you are offered the first job, I would take it (a bird in hand). Nothing says you cannot continue to look once you have accepted another offer....

It's unlikely that they will offer you the job on the spot. If they do, thank them for the offer & ask for time to think about it. If they refuse to give your time, your answer is easy -- reject the job because then you know they are inflexible & unreasonable. Why would you want to work there?

However, since you already a job, if this one pays less, you can reject it on the spot or try to use your present salary to negotiate a higher offer at least equal to what you are currently earning but be prepared to explain why you are worth it.

Lying is a bad policy & is accepting & then later changing your mind. Both make you look unreliable & undesirable.

I'm not sure what to do in case the first company offers me the position. I really need a full-time job since I am sick of working contract.

Since it looks like you're a strong candidate for at least two jobs, pass on the first low-paying one and hold out for something like the Fortune 500 position that meets your needs. You must present and interview well so don't sell yourself short. Believe and aim high :) ...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author
newlywedder

Hi all! Thanks for your responses. I got an update. I had the interview and I didn't get any offer. I was told there is another candidate they are interviewing today.

The hiring manager gave me his name and I looked him up on linked in. He is much more qualified than I am and has been in positions longer.

They didn't like it that I had moved positions so much but I explained it isn't my fault since I have had several lay offs in my career.

I have another interview on Friday and then another on Monday. Hopefully I will get something since I been looking for 6 months now.

ChatroomHero

The hiring manager gave me his name and I looked him up on linked in. He is much more qualified than I am and has been in positions longer. .

When I look up people I work with or have worked with on Linked in and check their qualifications, 95% of the time my response is, "Yeah, you can barely spell it let alone know anything about it". Unless they are a hands on technician who seem to be more honest, one 2-hour sales meeting about "the cloud" makes them 14 year, cloud experts with a keen insight on cloud to cloud integrations and IPAAS. Ask them what that means and they will smile and walk away. Hell, I had one boss I trained and after 6 moths he had 2 resumes online. One that had his actual low level jobs for 14 years and another that stated he worked on implementations all that time for a product that if he knew, he would have been making 4 times his salary. So don't be intimidated by things like that.

Don't ever go into an interview intimidated either, or leave one intimidated. You are selling yourself. If you feel unqualified and worry that you are, it will come across plainly. Every other applicant is overstating their experience and ability, or at least polishing it up real nice. I have a feeling you looked unqualified a bit in your interview or at least were intimidated in the interview. Just a thought.