LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Boss Kicks Chair

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2018, 6:29 PM   #31
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2B View Post
You go directly to the person who kicked your chair and tell them if they do that again you plan to immediately embarrass them in public and punch them in the face.
I hope you're exaggerating for effect, something the OP's boss may have been guilty of also.

Punching your boss in the face is not a sound strategy, either for this job or the one you'd hope to get to replace it...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 7:29 PM   #32
S2B
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon123 View Post
Well said, I have concluded that and will be looking for other employment opportunities. I have worked for this company for ten years and have made them a ton of money and got them out of some sticky liability issues with innovative thinking and problem solving.

This was the last straw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
I hope you're exaggerating for effect, something the OP's boss may have been guilty of also.

Punching your boss in the face is not a sound strategy, either for this job or the one you'd hope to get to replace it...

Mr. Lucky
I agree - but a warning about a reaction when any person acts so disrespectful is a warning.

It sends a clear message that the behavior isn't right... but I admit my response was extreme and I apologize.
S2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2018, 10:04 AM   #33
Established Member

The boss was not professional, but it happens. I think it indicates either he is just one to snap and act like that, or in your case it seems it was more or less the first time he actually embarrassed you, my guess is he might probably be annoyed with you over your meeting interjections over time and it built up until he snapped.

If you honestly look at it, were you trying to show your knowledge of the project and value by answering a question or questions you didn't need to, but felt you should force a "contribution"? I think if you forced a contribution, it was probably not the first time and the boss is getting tired of you "proving your worth" in meetings.

Here's how to tell...were you the main person that should have the answer or one of the main people? What I mean is if it was a question about project time lines and you manage the project and generally have as much or more discussion/info about the timeline than the rest of the team, your boss was in the wrong and that's on him.

If you're in a meeting and he asks a question the number of steel beams required to finish the job and the guy that handles steel beams is there but you pipe up and say, "Let me field this one"... just because you know the answer, that's on you and my guess is his annoyance has built up until he finally told you to shut up in a meeting.

Now only you can determine which it was. If you feel it was more on him, you should have just pulled him aside after the meeting and said, "I didn't appreciate you kicking my chair. Is there a problem?" He either would have apologized and said it was a one-off or had a deeper discussion about what he felt was wrong. Any time that is not right after the meeting, if you discuss it with him it will look a bit weak and make it look like you are stewing on it and won't be a good look right or wrong.

I'd let it go until it happens again and if it does, state exactly what you are saying here...I don't appreciate you doing that, is there an issue we need to address? If he clears the air, great. If it makes anything worse or he blows you off or he's offended, he's probably not someone you really want to work for.
ChatroomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 9:56 PM   #34
Established Member

There's not necessarily a "right" or "wrong" answer.

Yes, your boss was unprofessional, but unless you've got another job lined up or are independently wealthy, then whether you like it or not, you have to measure your response.

My own opinion is that good owners and managers don't behave like that -- they don't need to. You might not be in a position to just up and quit, but you might do well to start looking at other companies to work for.

The best "punishment" for bosses like these is to lose good employees.
Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote