I think he got the job!!

So my husband has become very disillusioned at his current job. Four people have quit within about a 6 week period, leaving the store short staffed. He has had to take on more duties and it is a bit overbearing, so he has been applying for jobs. Last week he got called for an interview as a mechanic at the university. Great benefits, more money. He prepped pretty hard core for it, Googling the people he’d be interviewing with to see what their background and hobbies are, wrote up his strengths and weaknesses and how they pertained to his position. He had the interview two days ago with 3 people and he is pretty psyched that he gave a great interview. He can talk to anyone and I have a feeling everyone was pretty at ease. He said it was round robin questioning and he gave great answers. They told him that the 4th person who needs to interview him is on vacation so there would be another interview with her when she returns. He isn’t sure how many people they were interviewing but he said when they called that there were four time slots available between 8 and noon and he was able to choose, so he figures he was the first one they called which also makes him think they liked him on paper the best and that makes him think they were interviewing a total of four people, but who knows. He sent a follow up email thanking them for their time and within 15 minutes, which seems very fast, one of the interview guys responded with the following:

“It was a pleasure meeting you today. Our whole panel was pleased with the way things went in today’s interview. Expect to hear from us sometime late next week or early the week after regarding scheduling for the second interview.”

So obviously they liked him and he’ll get that 2nd interview, but who knows if they were happy with others as well and sent a similar email, that is if anyone else emailed first thanking them as well.

What do you think? Is he likely to be their pick?

Some months ago I had 2 second interviews.

In the first one, I get on with the interviewers very well on a personal level, they were very curious about me and I answered all their questions. The higher level manager said that I'm what they're looking for and that I'm a great fit. She had great body language towards me. She asked about my availability and I got the office tour and a really warm goodbye. I thought I'd nailed it.

In the second interview the interviewers were serious, sometimes crossing their arms (uh oh). Questions were challenging and I gave a couple mediocre answers. They asked about my availability and whether I had other interviews lined up. Then they proceeded by telling me how the role they offered is a great opportunity. They also asked if I have any holidays planned. When it was over, they showed me out and that was it. I wasn't sure how I did.

I got the second job. Which was great because it was better salary and position.

Later I found out that my interviewer (now boss) thought I had quick reflexes and liked that. You can just never know what will appeal to someone. So your boyfriend shouldn't get his hopes too high, but not low either. It's beyond his control. Interviewers may be bubbly, friendly people but that doesn't mean we got the job. And the opposite, they can look really serious and like you.

MidwestUSA

If they contact his current employer about his attendance, he doesn't stand a chance.

Why is he bothering to try to get a good job when he has no intentions of acting like an adult?

• Like 4
JustGettingBy

I find it to usually be almost impossible to gauge.

There's been times when I've had an hour long interview, got on great with each interview, was told I asked amazing questions, and yet I never even heard back. There were other interviews where I could feel my own awkwardness, and got the job. Practically random from what I've seen.

• Author
If they contact his current employer about his attendance, he doesn't stand a chance.

Why is he bothering to try to get a good job when he has no intentions of acting like an adult?

Actually, one of his references IS his current manager!! His manager knows he's a reference and has wished him luck. I know he'll give a good review of him if they call him. That's just how it goes at that shop! And yes, I'm sure within a few months he will start taking a day off here or there simply because he doesn't want to go in, which will then turn into a few days at a time which will turn into a week. It's a union job so he'll probably be back to that mentality that he can get away with stuff.

• Author

He got the call this morning to set up the 2nd interview with the manager and director of the dept! He said she said that the 3 people who interviewed him last week had nothing but great things to say about him. So now he's super psyched, but interview is still 10 days away. We'll see!

• Author
He got the call this morning to set up the 2nd interview with the manager and director of the dept! He said she said that the 3 people who interviewed him last week had nothing but great things to say about him. So now he's super psyched, but interview is still 10 days away. We'll see!

So, he didn't give me the ENTIRE story of the 2nd interview! Turns out the way he found out the manager had called him was because one of the guys who interviewed him last week sent an email Friday morning saying it was a friendly reminder that the manager had called and left him 2 voicemails both previous days trying to schedule that interview with him and if he's no longer interested to just disregard the email! He looked at his phone and didn't see any notifications that he had voicemails, yet he had 2. He told me he even saw the call from her come in on Wednesday but was in the middle of something at work and didn't recognize the number and just put the phone on silent and then forgot all about it. How the hell do you not think to check it when the only thing you're thinking about is when this person is going to call and set up an interview??!! He immediately called her back after the email and he said she was very amiable and said that the others said nothing but good things about him. Yet now he is kicking himself that he missed 2 calls from her and is thinking that now she thinks he's unreliable. She said she was going to send him details of where to go for the interview but hasn't done that yet, yet when he had the first interview the guy sent him details right away. He thinks she's getting back at him for not responding to her. Ay yay yay!

So anyways, do you think he hurt his chances at the job by not responding to her until he got that email from the other guy? I mean the guy said he was emailing in case there was an issue with his phone. Yet she called him twice and then the guy sent him an email so they must be interested enough to pursue him because I can't imagine someone being that persistent if they're not. But then husband also said that maybe they are just calling him to fulfill what the union requires of interviewing so many people.

• Author

H finally got his email from the manager yesterday morning regarding where and who he was meeting with. He was all upset because she didn't immediately send it on Friday after he talked with her whereas the guy from the first interview sent it immediately after he got off the phone with him. He keeps telling me that he's 1 of 2 finalists and I'm sure he's delusional. I said to him last night when he told me that "You know for sure that it's between you and another person?" and he goes "Yeah" I go "You never told me that" and he goes "Yeah, I'm sure I did". Um no. He goes "Yeah I told you there were 4 slots available for the first interview and then they picked the 2 best for a second interview". I am 99.999% sure they didn't come out and tell him they were interviewing 4 people and then tell him after that that they are only going to take the 2 best. What hiring manager would tell a potential employee that?? Yes they said for your first interview there were slots available between 8 and noon on that day for an hour long interview and that was the only day all 3 of them could get together to interview. Okay maybe they did only interview 4 people that day. They did call him the day after the position closed so they wouldn't have interviewed others before then. But might they have interviewed a few more after him?? And he seems to think they are only picking the to best to move on to the second interview. Well, I'm pretty sure the only reason they are having a second interview is because the manager was on vacation for the first interview. Probably all 4 are going on to interview with her.

What do you think? Do you think it really IS down between him another? Or do you think everyone they interviewed is going on to this second interview?

Eternal Sunshine

From my experience, the second interview is generally between 2 candidates only. However they already leaning one way and it’s hard to know which way so it’s never really 50/50.

• Author

I'm not sure. I'm not sure how he's deducing all what's going on. He thinks the other person interviewed last Friday because when he listened to the voicemail she said there was a slot that day, but it was a voice mail from 2 days previous so the other person apparently picked that time (once again, he is simply deducing this) and then it's weird that there wasn't a slot to interview until over a week later. Wouldn't you think if there were only 2 of them interviewing that they'd have those on the same day or a day apart or something and not drag it out?

And like I said, I'm not sure if the other 3 people were weeding out the candidates and then sending those on they felt were good to the manager and director for the 2nd interview, or if she was simply on vacation and she would have been at the interview the first time if she could have. But then again the director is also going to be there so maybe it was planned that way? And if it is between 2 people, then it seems they made a lot of effort to try and get hold of him with two voicemails and an email rather than just go to another candidate so it makes me think they are favoring him.

You can't control the outcome one way or the other so analyzing every detail and worrying is a fruitless endeavor.

• Like 2
UpwardForward
You can't control the outcome one way or the other so analyzing every detail and worrying is a fruitless endeavor.

And Mapper, if he gets the job - he may not like this one either.

• Like 2
So, he didn't give me the ENTIRE story of the 2nd interview! Turns out the way he found out the manager had called him was because one of the guys who interviewed him last week sent an email Friday morning saying it was a friendly reminder that the manager had called and left him 2 voicemails both previous days trying to schedule that interview with him and if he's no longer interested to just disregard the email! He looked at his phone and didn't see any notifications that he had voicemails, yet he had 2. He told me he even saw the call from her come in on Wednesday but was in the middle of something at work and didn't recognize the number and just put the phone on silent and then forgot all about it. How the hell do you not think to check it when the only thing you're thinking about is when this person is going to call and set up an interview??!! He immediately called her back after the email and he said she was very amiable and said that the others said nothing but good things about him. Yet now he is kicking himself that he missed 2 calls from her and is thinking that now she thinks he's unreliable. She said she was going to send him details of where to go for the interview but hasn't done that yet, yet when he had the first interview the guy sent him details right away. He thinks she's getting back at him for not responding to her. Ay yay yay!

So anyways, do you think he hurt his chances at the job by not responding to her until he got that email from the other guy? I mean the guy said he was emailing in case there was an issue with his phone. Yet she called him twice and then the guy sent him an email so they must be interested enough to pursue him because I can't imagine someone being that persistent if they're not. But then husband also said that maybe they are just calling him to fulfill what the union requires of interviewing so many people.

Typical of your husband's effort to most things in life - unpredictable and inconsistent likely due to his abuse of substances.

It's no wonder you're always trying to control him/the outcome - he's like a two year old.

Don't you ever get tired Mapper?

• Like 2
  • Author
Typical of your husband's effort to most things in life - unpredictable and inconsistent likely due to his abuse of substances.

It's no wonder you're always trying to control him/the outcome - he's like a two year old.

Don't you ever get tired Mapper?

All the time.

• Like 1
  • Author

My husband has a second interview on Monday with the manager and director of a dept. He met 2 weeks ago with 2 asst. managers and an IT guy. I am assuming that they were weeding out who they thought were good. They had slots available that day between 8 and 12 for interviews so I decided that there was someone at each hour which would make for 5 candidates. His interview lasted about 40 minutes so I am assuming that was about the time for the others. He sent a thank you email at 12:48 and he received a response at 1:08 so really quick. It said they were pleased with how things went and to expect to hear from them the following week with instructions about a second interview.

So if they finished interviewing the last person at say 12:45, they emailed H back less than 30 minutes later basically telling him he had a second interview. So did they decide within that time that he was a top candidate for the job or are all of them getting the second interview??

• Author

The 2nd job interview is this morning. I hope he gets it! I hope it's just between him and another candidate and no more than that.

• Author

Husband just had his second interview, which only took about 30 minutes, and called me after. He said he thinks he did well but was more nervous this time. One odd thing is that he walked out and needed to get back in to get paperwork he forgot and the guy that let him in was one that interviewed him the first time. On the way out the guy said "So what size jacket do you wear?" He thinks he was asking to size him up for a safety jacket. Well that's a pretty weird thing to say if they weren't thinking of hiring him! And then 5 minutes after I got off the phone with him he called again and said the manager just called him and told him she was going to call his references, but she couldn't find the sheet he gave her with them so he needs to send them to her when he gets home. So it is sounding very promising...as long as the references don't screw him for some reason!

Well, here the thing. His current employer should give him a great reference - IF they are sick and tired of his lack of attendance and ailments, because they'll be thrilled to get rid of him.

I can't believe he plays them like that, and they don't care.

• Like 1

Well, here the thing. His current employer should give him a great reference - IF they are sick and tired of his lack of attendance and ailments, because they'll be thrilled to get rid of him.

I can't believe he plays them like that, and they don't care.

An employer prior to his current one, who has no horse in the race, may offer up the truth however.

Sorry, duplicate post, sort of.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So the reference checks all checked out and last Friday he received an email from the manager saying:

Excellent news is that your reference checks went well and I will be recommending you for hire. Congratulations! Next step for me is to put together a chronological experience table so that HR can determine a salary offer. Couple of questions here:

1. Include detail information of your experience with maintaining equipment or other experience that aligns with key words in the job description if applicable.

2. You mentioned maintenance experience in your Deck Operations Supervisor role – I advise that you detail this in your resume

3. Review other experiences on your resume and add detail experience that aligns with key words in the job description if applicable

Send me a copy of your resume via email and also update your resume in your job search profile as soon as possible.

She then said that she'd get back to him no later than next Friday (which is today) with a salary offer. He hasn't heard anything yet and is getting nervous. I would THINK he has the job but I guess you can't be sure until you get that written contract. Does anyone else find it odd that the manager would have him revamp his resume to show how much he knows that relates to the job and have him resubmit it before she sends it to HR?? I mean is she trying to get him to get the best pay? If that's the case I wouldn't think there'd be anyone else that she put an offer out to. My fear is that it is still between him and another person and maybe the other person would take a lower salary...but then why ask him to pump up his resume??

Eternal Sunshine

That email doesn’t actually say “we would like to offer you the position”. It doesn’t really sound like a solid job offer yet.

• Author
That email doesn’t actually say “we would like to offer you the position”. It doesn’t really sound like a solid job offer yet.

I know it's not a job offer yet, because that comes with the salary email, but it seems like it should be a pretty sure thing. I wouldn't think they would have sent that out to more than one person, especially when she is asking him to revamp his resume to get a better salary.