Can this kind of banter get me in trouble?

FilterCoffee

So at my office I like to occasionally make fun of my colleagues (or myself) in a light hearted, pg 13, manner. For example, the other day a colleague of mine said something like “Why are you dieting FilterCoffee? You never have any sweets these days.” to which I replied “I’m not slim like you right so I have to be extra careful.” Another time she asked me about my girlfriend (which I don’t have) to which I said “I don’t have a gf R. Nobody wants me. I’m not lucky to be married like you.” I always respond with a cheeky smile. At my office nobody has a problem with this kind of talk and everyone seems to enjoy it including my bosses but could this land me in trouble elsewhere?

Yes that kind of banter could potentially get you in trouble elsewhere. Banter can be OK if it's part of the office culture & everyone appreciates it as lighthearted. Problem is sometimes the very people who are offended feel like they can't speak up & have to go along to get along.

At work your best bet it to keep things G rated, not flirty & focused on work. In short be polite & professional.

• Like 2
  • Author
FilterCoffee
I'm not sure I'd call that banter...

What would you call that CO? Keep in mind, that this particular girl initiates these kind of conversations at least 50% of the times.

CautiouslyOptimistic
What would you call that CO? Keep in mind, that this particular girl initiates these kind of conversations at least 50% of the times.

I'd just call it conversation, but maybe I'm just not getting the "joke." Usually banter is funny/flirty.

• Like 1

I think it’s awesome when people tell jokes in the office. Agree I don’t think it’s banter, but I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s good to have a little fun In the office.

• Like 2
  • Author
FilterCoffee

Thanks for the replies people. Seems like what I said was pretty innocuous but I guess it’s best to err on the conservative side while at the workplace.

• Like 1