Got a Job Offer....I need to ask for more money! HOW?

imjustagirl

All my hard work finally paid off. I've been looking for a new job for about a year and either I'm underqualified or overqualified.

Well, I just received a job offer today at lunch after taking Monday off to interview ONCE for this position. They didn't even ask that I fill out a job application, they were completely impressed with how I looked on paper and how my interview went. (I did have one filled out already in case, and gave it to them....they were quite impressed with my preparedness)....and I was completly impressed with them. I wanted to work for them when I first graduated college, but they weren't hiring...now they are.

Anyways, I hate my current job. Not that I hate my job in the sense of hate. I love what I do, I love helping the people that I help (even tho sometimes they can get irritable and be just plain stupid). I just don't like how the organization has become and how the employees are being treated and how the team treats each other....which makes it hard to get up every morning and come to work.

With that said...it pretty much says, "jump ship like everyone else (we've lost 5 people in our department to different jobs within the past 6 mths) and work somewhere else."

Well, now I have that chance.

Not only is it a salary position, with a week paid time off after a year, with profit sharing, 401k, paid holidays, blah blah blah.....but it's an hour away from home, 50 mile drive everyday........

I'm currently an hourly employee, who gets 6 hours of paid time off every 2 weeks, but that is used for sick time, vacations, holidays, and god forbid if you get sick and have a holiday all in the same pay period, you're basically screwed for 10 hours of no pay.

Now, I don't mind the drive to work right now...other than the fact that I'm driving HERE. I currently have a 30 minute drive to work.

Problem being the following things:

1) Gas is over 2.20 a gallon where I live for regular unleaded. My car sucks up anything else and will get approx 500 miles on 1 tank of gas (it's a honda) (1 week of driving to the new place of employment or 2 weeks at current employment).

2) Currently, I get paid to be oncall (not much, but can average 400 every 12 weeks or 4800 a year). New place says that they do not offer call pay because they give you large profit sharing margin once a year....also manager said that this is figured into your salary after your review.

3) I currently get paid hourly, with overtime and call pay to approx 27000 a year (not much, but jr college graduate working 3 yrs in a non profit environment, it's average). New job offer is 25000 to start, raise after 90 day review.

I really like the job. I like what they have to offer as in training (if my boyfriend and I should plan to move out of state in a couple years, I'll have the training I need to get that killer sit on your patoot and get paid billions job).

I'm not liking the drive (wouldn't bother me if gas wasn't so high) and I don't like the cash offer. I like the insurance (not as good as what I got now, but you aren't going to get 100% paid hospital stay without working IN a hospital)...vacation time...profit sharing...the fact that it's salary.

I feel weird about asking for more money...but with gas...and what i'm being paid now. It just makes sense. Anybody got any suggestions? I've got to let them know by 3 pm tomorrow!

Thanks!

~justa~

laRubiaBonita

i would say something like, "everything you are telling me, benefits wise, is great! but, my concern is the annual salary. I am commuting 50 miles every day, and with gas prices the way are ........"

something like that.

just get across your actual concern, cause it is pretty valid, and see what happens.

the worst they can do is say no. but they may say ok, but after the probation.

Congrats on the Offer!

• Author
imjustagirl

True.

Normally I'm really concious about places I send my resume too, regarding payscale. I love my job, just not hte pay...and obvious reasons stated above. The new job looks great on paper...sounded great during the interview.

I just can't believe that I thought my current annual salary was X amount of dollars. Which, it would have been with current hourly wage minus oncall pay and overtime. With that said...the new salary would be a godsend. But, there is that oncall/overtime that I failed to neglect. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it averages out to 4000 a year, which adds up.

I called to see if I could talk to their HR lady, but she had already left for the day. I'm supposed to let them know by tomorrow, so hopefully I can get ahold of her first thing in the morning!

ugh...everyone should wear a sticker that says, "I make this much, either pay me the same amount or more"

Ugh...I'm a retard!

ConfusedInOC

The problem is (and this is my profession, by the way - employment) people always ask for less than they think they deserve so they are "assured" they will get the job.

Be confident in what you deserve. Tell them what you feel is acceptable to you. If they decline, they decline. There will be other jobs.

But NEVER accept less than you feel you deserve. Later on you will regret your decision and be bitter. Always, always state what you want with confidence. If you don't feel you deserve that salary, they will certainly detect it in your voice.

If you're using email, even better! Just say "$xxxxx is the minimum base salary I am looking for."

Good luck.

• Author
imjustagirl

Well, I gave them a call this morning. Told them what my current salary was WITH overtime and call pay. She was quiet surprised that it was almost 3000 more than the original offer (even being paid hourly). *shrug*

I told her I was willing to start out at no less than 2000 above the original offer. I'm willing to take a 1000 paycut only because there is a raise that will be given in 90 days to compensate for travel that will start about that time and the raise will be around that general amount, plus profit sharing in December (which is only 2 months after my 90 day review).

She was going to talk it over with the department manager. So we'll see.

I figure if they want me bad enough, which, by the sounds of it, they do....then the cat's in the bag.

**prays to the money gods**

~justa~

I recently had an experience like this. I interviewed once and almost got the job immediately after the interview. They were practically salivating. But then, mom says I know how to BS....

However, in my case, the money is ok. I kinda wish I hadn't been so eager-sounding to accept, but the pay is almost twice what I make at my current job, which I'm soon leaving, so I was excited. :rolleyes: In other words, keep a poker face.

• Author
imjustagirl
I interviewed once and almost got the job immediately after the interview. They were practically salivating.

Same here. When I asked when they were going to be making their final decision, he (hopefully future boss) said that they were originally planning on Friday. But, after my interview he said he knew he could make his final decision today (which was Monday) and let people know by Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday morning.

My phone call didn't come until Thursday at lunch because he forgot about an all day company retreat they were having on Wednesday, and the hiring manager was out on Tuesday. :D

It's been about an hour...I hope they call soon. I've already updated my resignation letter (I wrote it a few months back during a fit of rage I was in....don't worry, it's as professional as resignation letters get...too bad I couldn't add "I regret nothing....XXOOXX, Justa........PS. SO LONG BIOTCHES!)

• 2 weeks later...