Working from home

So, I posted awhile back about leaving my old organization and taking a job where I would largely work from home. It has now been about two months of working from home and I absolutely love it. Some of the things I was most afraid of - isolation and lack of social interaction - haven’t come true. I do have to work harder to be social in my personal life now, but that’s actually better.

So, LSers with experience, what do you like most and least about working from home? I am so looking forward to summer when I can really enjoy this experience! (I should also mention I am working part-time as well.)

• Like 4
CautiouslyOptimistic
So, I posted awhile back about leaving my old organization and taking a job where I would largely work from home. It has now been about two months of working from home and I absolutely love it. Some of the things I was most afraid of - isolation and lack of social interaction - haven’t come true. I do have to work harder to be social in my personal life now, but that’s actually better.

So, LSers with experience, what do you like most and least about working from home? I am so looking forward to summer when I can really enjoy this experience! (I should also mention I am working part-time as well.)

Um, yeah, this is a big thing lol!

I work full time from home and I am ALWAYS working. I'm self employed. There's no day that I do not work. Even yesterday I traveled out of town 2.5 hours each way, someone else drove, and I was working the whole way there in the car. So, that's what I hate. I am considering completely changing careers again and going back to a traditional 9-5 to get some structure back in my life and have time for hobbies again.

Obivously I love the flexibility though.

I agree with the above. When I worked from home, I found that I was prone to procrastinate more and oftentimes I'd get stuck working odd or long hours because of it, which was stressful.

I freelanced full-time for about four years and by the end I really didn't enjoy it. I found there were many days where I would not get out of my pajamas until lunchtime, or that I'd sit around in bed all day (even if I was working; curse of the laptop). Those things contributed to my anxiety and depression. About 18 months ago I went back to work full time and I love it. It's a great company, which helps, and there are days when I can work from home, but I find it does good for my mental health to have somewhere to go everyday. I've made a lot of new friends at work so I look forward to going. I also find that there is more separation of work and home life. Like it's Sunday afternoon right now and I haven't looked at my work email all weekend. I like that, haha.

Anyway, there are pros and cons to both, obviously. I don't like commuting and miss being able to go work in a coffee shop, or to stop working early and go to happy hour and stuff, but overall I do better working in an actual office.

• Like 5
LivingWaterPlease

I work a lot of different places but am based from home. Some of my work must be done away from home but I like that it does.

I enjoy working in whatever I want to wear when I'm at home, beginning my day when I feel like it and ending it when I feel like it.

I like being able to just grab something healthy (or not!) from the refrigerator to eat.

I like not having to commute daily.

I like being able to bake or toss in a load of wash when I want to. Not having anyone look over my shoulder while I work is great. And I enjoy the isolation when I want it. When I don't I call a friend or run out to a shop or restaurant.

I live in an area with lots of trees and plants but also very close to shops, grocery stores, etc. A lot of people come to my neighborhood to walk or run during the day so often I can look out of my window where I work and see folks passing by.

I'm also able to combine traveling for pleasure with my work so that vacations can be tax free.

Last but not least I like being the boss of me! :)

• Like 1
  • Author

Great responses from everyone!

I think what I am loving so much right now is the flexibility. I was feeling a little caged in my office. While I still have deadlines and responsibilities, the ability to tailor my day is great. Plus, I haven’t had the Sunday Blues since I started this.

I also love working in jeans - no PJ work for me, I can’t do it - and the ability to run to the fridge. Believe it or not, I have not gained weight since I do eat healthier at home. I also love that working part-time means more time for friends and family.

However, I can also see the points being made from the other side as I did this once before in my career and went back to an office. Thanks for a great

Discussion. Keep it coming!

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic
Great responses from everyone!

I think what I am loving so much right now is the flexibility. I was feeling a little caged in my office. While I still have deadlines and responsibilities, the ability to tailor my day is great. Plus, I haven’t had the Sunday Blues since I started this.

I also love working in jeans - no PJ work for me, I can’t do it - and the ability to run to the fridge. Believe it or not, I have not gained weight since I do eat healthier at home. I also love that working part-time means more time for friends and family.

However, I can also see the points being made from the other side as I did this once before in my career and went back to an office. Thanks for a great

Discussion. Keep it coming!

Out of pure nosiness, how can you afford to work only part-time and what is the general nature of the work you do?

• Author

Cautious,

I am extremely lucky, but I am also later in my career. I was a CEO for a long time and then got recruited away to a management consulting company, so I am still well compensated. Plus, I work 3/4 time so not half time, but I will probably transition to pure half-time in a couple of years.

Pretty common path for CEO's and business owners who've ramped down their work time to focus on other things. They set up a home office and do consulting/BOD work.

if not already done, get with your CPA and work out the matrix for tax reduction of the consultancy and home office. Tax reform is live and some things have changed. This will be especially important if living in a high-SALT locale.

I've lived and worked on the same property for 31 years but my business is heavy industrial and agricultural, so quite different from your milieu. The main advantage has been the easy ability to work any hours customers need, walk a couple hundred feet and on the job, day or night. Second, equally important, is consolidation of expenses, not having to maintain an industrial real estate presence as well as a residence.

Main drawback is no clock punching or boss to whack one into line. This can be an issue for those who work to live in that they will find other things to do, or desire that, until the checkbook says hey fill up. People who live to work should easily be able to transition.

In my line of work what I really liked was waking up in the middle of the night with an idea and simply walking out to the shop to make it real. My focus over the years was more on ideas than money. Once I'm retired I'll do it for free and teach any young guys who are interested. Obviously, that's far different than hard-core profit-making business practice. Working for oneself offers such flexibility.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Cautious,

I am extremely lucky, but I am also later in my career. I was a CEO for a long time and then got recruited away to a management consulting company, so I am still well compensated. Plus, I work 3/4 time so not half time, but I will probably transition to pure half-time in a couple of years.

You've earned it :) :) .

2 years and counting. :)

There's almost nothing I don't like. I should probably drag myself out to meet new people sometimes, but that's a product of my personality, not necessarily work circumstances.

Things I like:

- Flexible hours. So much more productive when I can work when I'm at my best, rather than on some morning lark's schedule

- Flexible hours. Yes, I said it twice! I can go shopping on a weekday afternoon if I want to, no traffic and few people! :D

- Working in a comfy nightie

- Saving on food and drinks, not having to pack lunches

- Ability to customize my work environment - I have a kickass adjustable-height desk, a gorgeous chair that fits my build, and I can set the A/C at the temperature I want!

- No commute

- Few distractions, no annoying noise to block out

- Don't have to exhaust myself interacting with people 8 hrs a day 5 days a week

- Did I mention flexible hours?

**** I love my job. :love:

• Like 3
  • Author

Elswyth,

Everything you said! I, too, think I am so much more focused and efficient without all of the distractions. I like that when my productivity naturally drops, I can get up, go for a quick walk, ruminate and get myself back on track more quickly. And the flexibility is amazing! That was the entire appeal at first.

While advanced in my career, I still wanted to do meaningful work but in a more family-friendly and flexible way. This has been the greatest part of the lifestyle change.

• Like 1

I have never worked from home, unless you include studying. Or posting/helping people on LS.

Jokes aside, its not for everyone. I procrastinate enough about chores home already. And as pointed out by losangelena, I would probably stay in bed all day with my tablet or laptop. End up tired even more. I wouldn't miss the morning and eve commuting. I would love to run errands out of the crowd too.

Also, my social life which is already fairly limited to about a dozen ''only'' but true friends and some family would take a big blow.

I am naturally a bit lazy. And working from home would not even ''feel'' like working. I would be in my boxers all year. Get tired of working then go browse internet or Netflix.

I love staying home especially during a rough winter yet the prospect of being there 24/7/365 wouldn't suit me.

I love staying home especially during a rough winter yet the prospect of being there 24/7/365 wouldn't suit me.

Those of us who work from home aren't necessarily home ALL the time, though! :laugh: I personally found that when I worked from home, I had more motivation to want to go out (for non work stuff) in the evening and weekends. When I had to go to an office, the absolute last thing I wanted to do after being out of the home 8 hours a day was to be out some more!

I do agree that it isn't for everyone, though. It probably also feels less lonely for those of us with partners/spouses. And personality type plays a huge part as well. I personally crave, even need, a few days a week when I don't leave the house at all. That would probably drive a more extroverted person crazy, haha.

• Like 2

My current company allows occasional work from home. But its not enthusiastic when you do it.

I have an extremely long commute each way to my company in the big city and even though its on public transit - its makes for a long day.

Working from home saves me all that time in commuting - more time with my kids (even with an extra hour of work - my overall day is less without commuting. I do benefit from an occasional nap at lunch while at home -feeling refreshed and better for rest of day. Also I rarely need a full sick day off - as most of time I am sick ay home I can work most of the day - just not coughing up a lung and blowing my nose every 5 min - next to a bunch of healthy coworkers . I travel for projects - and thats enough people interaction - I like being at home the rest of the time

Bad parts is that I get distracted or try to do little things around home that eat into my day - minor cleaning, load of clothes, or ducking out for errand. Also if family is home - they can feel they can bother me with stuff.

Right now I am trying to figure out if I can increase my work from home - either with a formal arrangement for 1-2 days a week at my current employer - or changing jobs. Its that important to me. I can tell you talking to some companies or recruiters - it would be easier for me to get 15 grand more in salary from a new company - then to be allowed to work from home a few days a week. There are some real prejudices against work from home.

Edited by dichotomy
LivingWaterPlease
2 years and counting. :)

There's almost nothing I don't like. I should probably drag myself out to meet new people sometimes, but that's a product of my personality, not necessarily work circumstances.

Things I like:

- Flexible hours. So much more productive when I can work when I'm at my best, rather than on some morning lark's schedule

- Flexible hours. Yes, I said it twice! I can go shopping on a weekday afternoon if I want to, no traffic and few people! :D

- Working in a comfy nightie

- Saving on food and drinks, not having to pack lunches

- Ability to customize my work environment - I have a kickass adjustable-height desk, a gorgeous chair that fits my build, and I can set the A/C at the temperature I want!

- No commute

- Few distractions, no annoying noise to block out

- Don't have to exhaust myself interacting with people 8 hrs a day 5 days a week

- Did I mention flexible hours?

**** I love my job. :love:

:) Me, too, Elswyth! Flexible hours, Yes! I am so free! I can't imagine having the commitment every day of being at an office for prescribed hours after having lived this way for so long.

Elswyth,

Everything you said! I, too, think I am so much more focused and efficient without all of the distractions. I like that when my productivity naturally drops, I can get up, go for a quick walk, ruminate and get myself back on track more quickly. And the flexibility is amazing! That was the entire appeal at first.

While advanced in my career, I still wanted to do meaningful work but in a more family-friendly and flexible way. This has been the greatest part of the lifestyle change.

Me, too, GA Girl! By the time I go to work, I've gotten up, made my coffee and health drink, had devotions for as long as I want, exercised for an hour outside in the fresh air. Come in for lunch, showered and feel great! Because I feel primed to perfection (not saying I'm perfect, just that I feel great!) for work I can hone in and get accomplished in an hour or two what it would take me six or eight hours to accomplish otherwise!

When I was rearing my kids I worked four or five hours a day, once in a great while eight but mostly not. Now I work one - four hour days, mostly two hours.

I have never worked from home, unless you include studying. Or posting/helping people on LS.

Jokes aside, its not for everyone. I procrastinate enough about chores home already. And as pointed out by losangelena, I would probably stay in bed all day with my tablet or laptop. End up tired even more. I wouldn't miss the morning and eve commuting. I would love to run errands out of the crowd too.

Also, my social life which is already fairly limited to about a dozen ''only'' but true friends and some family would take a big blow.

I am naturally a bit lazy. And working from home would not even ''feel'' like working. I would be in my boxers all year. Get tired of working then go browse internet or Netflix.

In a way I'm lazy, too, Shanex, I sleep in until I want to get up and pamper myself until I feel ready to work. But, that makes me a machine at work! I'm feeling so good by the time I begin!

Those of us who work from home aren't necessarily home ALL the time, though! :laugh: I personally found that when I worked from home, I had more motivation to want to go out (for non work stuff) in the evening and weekends. When I had to go to an office, the absolute last thing I wanted to do after being out of the home 8 hours a day was to be out some more!

I do agree that it isn't for everyone, though. It probably also feels less lonely for those of us with partners/spouses. And personality type plays a huge part as well. I personally crave, even need, a few days a week when I don't leave the house at all. That would probably drive a more extroverted person crazy, haha.

Yep! I get out whenever I want, too, to lunch or to shop at places close by. I live very close to the hub of the city in a park like area that's plopped down amidst the teaming throng, lol!

Well, it's 5:10. I just finished eating stir fry I cooked up after I came in from a walk, and have an hour to work so I better get with it. I'm all set up to go because yesterday afternoon I did the prep and can't wait to get started!

I truly believe most people could figure out a way to adjust their careers to living this way and would love to help anyone who wants to figure out a way. Of course, not everyone wants to, but some who live otherwise would want to and could if they gave it some thought. Where there's a will there's a way, just my opinion, though!

• Like 2
Happy Lemming

Working from home is great!!

I did it for 7 years, prior to early retirement.

I loved it!! No commuting, no dress clothes, no office politics, no crap from co-workers. Drank my own coffee, made a hot lunch in my kitchen, kept up with household chores, etc. I sometimes took a nap during my "lunch hour".

And yes, I stayed in my PJ's all day! GLORIOUS!!

• Like 4

You guys have convinced me. I am resigning by the end of the week. :cool:

Freedom is what you want to make of it. All the points discussed are entirely valid. Maybe the future is to work from home for more and more people.

Edited by Shanex
  • Like 2

I've worked from home for about 14 years now. I went from a job where I would travel to and from sites every day, probably averaging 3-4 hours of drive time most days. I don't think I could do that again. I don't think I would work anywhere that would require me to be somewhere more than maybe twice a month.

I do not miss the drive time one bit. I work from home about 98% of the time and really only venture to customers when I want face time. Love everything about it. I set my schedule so I don't have to stress over getting to the bank, the dmv, Dr. Appts etc., I just go when I need to. So much better than when I was fighting an hour and a half traffic and stressed if I was going to make it to the bank or a store before it closed and then have to deal with it another day.

If there is any downside, it's hard to separate work and personal time, like when to stop working and do personal stuff but the trade-off is being able to do what I want when I want. I just go when I feel like it. I find when I am working on a Saturday all day or something, I don't mind because I stop when I choose to and if I have something I need to get done, I just do it Monday at 2pm or something. Some times I have to stop and remind myself I worked 80 hours the last week and if I want to knock off at 2pm a couple of days the next week it's ok.

I only really go to my office if I get bored and want to get out of the house. I find I am more productive at home because I save 2 hours of drive time, can wake up 20 minutes before work and don't have to shower right away, get ready, warm up the car, stop to get gas...before even getting to work.

Plus when it's a really crappy Monday I just check out for an hour or two to get in the hot tub and watch a little tv. Working from home is highly recommended.

• Like 4
LivingWaterPlease
You guys have convinced me. I am resigning by the end of the week. :cool:

Freedom is what you want to make of it. All the points discussed are entirely valid. Maybe the future is to work from home for more and more people.

:) Could you begin to plan for it, Shanex, or do you even really want to?

I have a friend who worked in a medical office transcribing records. She's bright and dependable so did well with it but actually wanted to open a business reupholstering furniture. Her husband is a medical professional who does very well financially and they have no children so she could easily afford her dream but she never has been able to adjust her mindset to step out and do it. Although she's very bright it seems to me she needs the structure of having an office to report to and work assigned to her. She is isolated at work in a little office all by herself all day long so being there isn't a function of social needs being met.

The downside of my career has been concern that I may not have work at some point since I'm self employed and single with no other source of income, plus had children to rear. But, God has provided work for me for almost three decades. Funny thing is that's been the only downside and yet it was a downside of my own invention as it's never come to fruition!

Anyway, I would really enjoy working with folks who want to segue into a working from home environment, thinking of creative ways to help them rethink and redesign their careers for such a goal.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I guess working at home is easier for introverts but yeah, it gets difficult if you do not live with your family or have a partner. I am a single girl and I live alone in an apartment. I work as a digital marketer and the isolation is killing me sometimes. Sometimes, it's good for work since I can concentrate but when work is done, I crave for people to speak to.

Eternal Sunshine

I would find working from home extremely depressing (and I am an introvert). I enjoy dressing up, doing my hair and putting on make up each day. I also work very flexible hours - I can come in any time and I can get up from my desk and go shopping for a couple of hours if I have no meetings and then finish work at home or whenever. I work in a shared office and everyone is super smart, sarcastic, very funny and eccentric. I don't really get along with most of general population but work people are all science/tech-y :love: I totally fit in.

I think it's probably different for people that have partners and a decent social life.

I just started working from home after being off for many years as a SAHM. I'm finding it very hard to get & stay motivated to do actual work, and it's only about 20 hours/week. I don't have a home office so my main workspace is the kitchen table, TV stays off, I set the phone to go to VM to limit distractions, etc. Any other tips? I've actually thought about pausing my Facebook account at least for a few weeks, since that seems to be where the biggest trouble is.

major_merrick

I am currently going through a transition with my GF#1. I married my husband in January, and me and my two GFs moved into his house. My GF#1 has worked from home as long as we have been together, and she has enjoyed it. Until now.

I sold my house in January, and with it went my GF's cozy "office" spot, relaxing morning routine, and quiet time. Now there's a bustling home with many young kids, two other wives besides me, and less privacy. She had no idea how much it would affect her, and while she enjoys our home she has trouble getting her work done and has been running away to the public library. I'm currently working on purchasing a dirt cheap fixer-upper house (less than 10% of the cost of the one I sold) that can work as an office for her, and a lunch spot for me close to where I work.

I think working from home requires a fairly quiet, calm environment...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
georgia girl

It’s interesting for me to read the posts from the introverts who would struggle working from home only because I call myself a “closet introvert.” ? While on the surface, I am a total extrovert (21 on the scale), I would often get over-stimulated working in an office and find it hard to concentrate. Now, I have all of this glorious quiet to work in!

A couple of things I have found works for me as other suggested the would like tips:

1) I take breaks and go shopping/grocery shopping. I may buy little or nothing, but I get the people stimulation I need.

2) I reconnected with old friends and plan something at least every two weeks with my one girlfriend in town. Makes it easier to stay social. (I am married, too, but being an extrovert married to an introvert who is also professionally very busy, it takes the pressure off of him.)

3) I find projects that are not work-related to immerse myself in such as home improvement projects.

4) I severely limit things like social media/online shopping during my work time to create a real distinction between work and play. Screen time is just not healthy.

5) I cook. I love quitting at 5-6 pm and starting an elaborate prep for a meal. It makes it a creative adventure.

As you can probably tell, I love this life and can’t see myself ever going back to the traditional office life - though I like the one poster’s set up with office flexibility. The only thing I struggle with is work/life balance. I need to get better at shutting off work vs. the other way around. For example, I am constantly checking email and working nights/weekends, just because it’s there. Anyone have pointers on that?

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
For example, I am constantly checking email and working nights/weekends, just because it’s there. Anyone have pointers on that?

I worked from home for 7 years, prior to retiring this past January.

What I did was have two computers in my home office, one for work and one for personal. At 5:00pm, the work computer is shut down and not turned on until morning. Same with the weekend, turn off the work computer, Friday at 5:00pm and it doesn't get turned back on until Monday at 8:00am...

There were no files or work related software on my "personal" computer, so I was never tempted to do any work when I was "off".

As far as e-mail, I set up Outlook for my work e-mail on my work computer. I did NOT set up Outlook at on my personal computer, and used my browser for my gmail (personal e-mail) account.

• Like 1