LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Working from home

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2018, 6:13 PM   #16
Established Member

Working from home is great!!

I did it for 7 years, prior to early retirement.

I loved it!! No commuting, no dress clothes, no office politics, no crap from co-workers. Drank my own coffee, made a hot lunch in my kitchen, kept up with household chores, etc. I sometimes took a nap during my "lunch hour".

And yes, I stayed in my PJ's all day! GLORIOUS!!
Old 12th February 2018, 6:48 PM   #17
Established Member

You guys have convinced me. I am resigning by the end of the week.

Freedom is what you want to make of it. All the points discussed are entirely valid. Maybe the future is to work from home for more and more people.

Last edited by Shanex; 12th February 2018 at 7:08 PM..
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 8:06 PM   #18
Established Member

I've worked from home for about 14 years now. I went from a job where I would travel to and from sites every day, probably averaging 3-4 hours of drive time most days. I don't think I could do that again. I don't think I would work anywhere that would require me to be somewhere more than maybe twice a month.

I do not miss the drive time one bit. I work from home about 98% of the time and really only venture to customers when I want face time. Love everything about it. I set my schedule so I don't have to stress over getting to the bank, the dmv, Dr. Appts etc., I just go when I need to. So much better than when I was fighting an hour and a half traffic and stressed if I was going to make it to the bank or a store before it closed and then have to deal with it another day.

If there is any downside, it's hard to separate work and personal time, like when to stop working and do personal stuff but the trade-off is being able to do what I want when I want. I just go when I feel like it. I find when I am working on a Saturday all day or something, I don't mind because I stop when I choose to and if I have something I need to get done, I just do it Monday at 2pm or something. Some times I have to stop and remind myself I worked 80 hours the last week and if I want to knock off at 2pm a couple of days the next week it's ok.

I only really go to my office if I get bored and want to get out of the house. I find I am more productive at home because I save 2 hours of drive time, can wake up 20 minutes before work and don't have to shower right away, get ready, warm up the car, stop to get gas...before even getting to work.

Plus when it's a really crappy Monday I just check out for an hour or two to get in the hot tub and watch a little tv. Working from home is highly recommended.
ChatroomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 9:14 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanex View Post
You guys have convinced me. I am resigning by the end of the week.

Freedom is what you want to make of it. All the points discussed are entirely valid. Maybe the future is to work from home for more and more people.
Could you begin to plan for it, Shanex, or do you even really want to?

I have a friend who worked in a medical office transcribing records. She's bright and dependable so did well with it but actually wanted to open a business reupholstering furniture. Her husband is a medical professional who does very well financially and they have no children so she could easily afford her dream but she never has been able to adjust her mindset to step out and do it. Although she's very bright it seems to me she needs the structure of having an office to report to and work assigned to her. She is isolated at work in a little office all by herself all day long so being there isn't a function of social needs being met.

The downside of my career has been concern that I may not have work at some point since I'm self employed and single with no other source of income, plus had children to rear. But, God has provided work for me for almost three decades. Funny thing is that's been the only downside and yet it was a downside of my own invention as it's never come to fruition!

Anyway, I would really enjoy working with folks who want to segue into a working from home environment, thinking of creative ways to help them rethink and redesign their careers for such a goal.
LivingWaterPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 7:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia girl View Post
So, I posted awhile back about leaving my old organization and taking a job where I would largely work from home. It has now been about two months of working from home and I absolutely love it. Some of the things I was most afraid of - isolation and lack of social interaction - havenít come true. I do have to work harder to be social in my personal life now, but thatís actually better.

So, LSers with experience, what do you like most and least about working from home? I am so looking forward to summer when I can really enjoy this experience! (I should also mention I am working part-time as well.)
Hello, I guess working at home is easier for introverts but yeah, it gets difficult if you do not live with your family or have a partner. I am a single girl and I live alone in an apartment. I work as a digital marketer and the isolation is killing me sometimes. Sometimes, it's good for work since I can concentrate but when work is done, I crave for people to speak to.
Hopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 1:11 PM   #21
Established Member

I would find working from home extremely depressing (and I am an introvert). I enjoy dressing up, doing my hair and putting on make up each day. I also work very flexible hours - I can come in any time and I can get up from my desk and go shopping for a couple of hours if I have no meetings and then finish work at home or whenever. I work in a shared office and everyone is super smart, sarcastic, very funny and eccentric. I don't really get along with most of general population but work people are all science/tech-y I totally fit in.

I think it's probably different for people that have partners and a decent social life.
Old 8th March 2018, 2:50 PM   #22
SJS
Established Member

I just started working from home after being off for many years as a SAHM. I'm finding it very hard to get & stay motivated to do actual work, and it's only about 20 hours/week. I don't have a home office so my main workspace is the kitchen table, TV stays off, I set the phone to go to VM to limit distractions, etc. Any other tips? I've actually thought about pausing my Facebook account at least for a few weeks, since that seems to be where the biggest trouble is.
SJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 10:36 PM   #23
Established Member

I am currently going through a transition with my GF#1. I married my husband in January, and me and my two GFs moved into his house. My GF#1 has worked from home as long as we have been together, and she has enjoyed it. Until now.

I sold my house in January, and with it went my GF's cozy "office" spot, relaxing morning routine, and quiet time. Now there's a bustling home with many young kids, two other wives besides me, and less privacy. She had no idea how much it would affect her, and while she enjoys our home she has trouble getting her work done and has been running away to the public library. I'm currently working on purchasing a dirt cheap fixer-upper house (less than 10% of the cost of the one I sold) that can work as an office for her, and a lunch spot for me close to where I work.

I think working from home requires a fairly quiet, calm environment...
Old 17th March 2018, 10:17 AM   #24
Established Member

Itís interesting for me to read the posts from the introverts who would struggle working from home only because I call myself a ďcloset introvert.Ē 🤪 While on the surface, I am a total extrovert (21 on the scale), I would often get over-stimulated working in an office and find it hard to concentrate. Now, I have all of this glorious quiet to work in!

A couple of things I have found works for me as other suggested the would like tips:

1) I take breaks and go shopping/grocery shopping. I may buy little or nothing, but I get the people stimulation I need.

2) I reconnected with old friends and plan something at least every two weeks with my one girlfriend in town. Makes it easier to stay social. (I am married, too, but being an extrovert married to an introvert who is also professionally very busy, it takes the pressure off of him.)

3) I find projects that are not work-related to immerse myself in such as home improvement projects.

4) I severely limit things like social media/online shopping during my work time to create a real distinction between work and play. Screen time is just not healthy.

5) I cook. I love quitting at 5-6 pm and starting an elaborate prep for a meal. It makes it a creative adventure.

As you can probably tell, I love this life and canít see myself ever going back to the traditional office life - though I like the one posterís set up with office flexibility. The only thing I struggle with is work/life balance. I need to get better at shutting off work vs. the other way around. For example, I am constantly checking email and working nights/weekends, just because itís there. Anyone have pointers on that?
georgia girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2018, 10:42 AM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
For example, I am constantly checking email and working nights/weekends, just because it’s there. Anyone have pointers on that?
I worked from home for 7 years, prior to retiring this past January.

What I did was have two computers in my home office, one for work and one for personal. At 5:00pm, the work computer is shut down and not turned on until morning. Same with the weekend, turn off the work computer, Friday at 5:00pm and it doesn't get turned back on until Monday at 8:00am...

There were no files or work related software on my "personal" computer, so I was never tempted to do any work when I was "off".

As far as e-mail, I set up Outlook for my work e-mail on my work computer. I did NOT set up Outlook at on my personal computer, and used my browser for my gmail (personal e-mail) account.
Happy Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2018, 2:32 PM   #26
Established Member

I've been doing production programming for a direct marketing firm for 20 years this October, five years ago management decided to close the office and let us all work from home.

The first few months took some adjusting as I missed my co-workers and the routine I'd established over the years.

It didn't take long to fully adjust and I love it. In fact, when I had to leave the big city 3 years ago due to a break-up and it being too expensive to stay, it led to me me being able to buy a house in the national forest about 80 miles away.

We work set hours (7:30AM-4:30PM) with an hour break whenever we want it. I love rolling out of bed at 7:20AM and logging on -- hey, I'm at work!

My co-workers and I are all disciplined otherwise this wouldn't work. None of us slack off because there is plenty of down time if you stay caught up.

I'm saving huge money on gas, commuter costs, food -- I used to eat at restaurants every day working in the city. I get more work done and overtime is no big deal because I'm at home.
Old 18th March 2018, 1:27 AM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommittedToThis View Post
I'm saving huge money on gas, commuter costs, food -- I used to eat at restaurants every day working in the city. I get more work done and overtime is no big deal because I'm at home.
I, too, work from home. Whenever the monotony starts to get to me, I think of what CommittedToThis said. Since it looks like we both live in Southern Cali, I have to remind myself of the ungodly traffic and rejoice that I am not on the freeways 3-4 hours a day to get to where I would have to go to make the money I make where I am.

Also, the luxury of rolling out of bed in boxer shorts and a t-shirt, no make up and tousled hair to immediately begin work is priceless! I'll often have my laptop in the kitchen and work while I prepare breakfast.

It does have it's ups and downs. You do need to stay focused, especially if you randomly decide to drop in a load of laundry (because you can). Or when isolation sets in, as someone mentioned in this thread, head to social media for ten minutes or so to break it up or communicate with someone on messenger. Sometimes I head out with a stack of work and be like one of those people you see in coffee shops staring at their devices. You have to learn how to compensate for the lack of personal contact. Actually, I don't mind it as in my profession, I deal with a lot of a-holes. LOL!

Personally, I wouldn't give it up for the world.
SixxChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 7:13 AM   #28
Established Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the idea of completely separating personal and work functions on different computers. Where I run into trouble the most is my phone because both emails are on it and I donít want to use two phones, but I may have to.

As others have said, I just donít think I could go back. Working from home is amazing. Plus, I work part-time and thatís even better.
georgia girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 12:06 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS View Post
I just started working from home after being off for many years as a SAHM. I'm finding it very hard to get & stay motivated to do actual work, and it's only about 20 hours/week. I don't have a home office so my main workspace is the kitchen table, TV stays off, I set the phone to go to VM to limit distractions, etc. Any other tips? I've actually thought about pausing my Facebook account at least for a few weeks, since that seems to be where the biggest trouble is.
Are you actually interested in the work that you do? I find myself doing the opposite, really - I need to actively tell myself, "Okay, I'm off for the day, stop checking work emails!"

I honestly think that if you're not genuinely interested in the work for itself, it would be much harder to work from home. Aside from that, I agree that you need to set aside blocks of time with no (or minimal) interruptions. I hate interruptions, but unfortunately sometimes there's just no way around them - however, this would be the case in the office, too.
Old 18th March 2018, 12:09 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
As you can probably tell, I love this life and canít see myself ever going back to the traditional office life - though I like the one posterís set up with office flexibility. The only thing I struggle with is work/life balance. I need to get better at shutting off work vs. the other way around. For example, I am constantly checking email and working nights/weekends, just because itís there. Anyone have pointers on that?
Turning off my email notifications on my phone and desktop entirely (ergo, I only see my emails if I go to the email app in my browser) was a lifesaver for me. However, this works for me because I never get an email that is so urgent that I need to check it right now or the sky will fall - mine can always wait. If the nature of your job doesn't suit that, it might be more difficult.

I also have a separate browser for work (and specific programs). I try my utmost best to turn off all of them and not check anything after hours. I don't always succeed, though!
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote