LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Being ganged up on at work, ?


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree2Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2018, 8:14 PM   #1
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
Being ganged up on at work, ?

My working hours are 10-6.30..i am a productive worker, more so than anyone else except maybe one or two. We have some lazy coworkers who don't do even half of what we do but then complain when we go home on time.i will do all the overtime needed in the christmas/easter/price rise times but when its normal times i expect no more than 2 hours a week. My boss doesn't see my side of things and has the audacity to say i am not a good worker because i won't stay at work until 10pm at night every night because of poor management.

I am furious right now, what should i do?
missingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 8:21 PM   #2
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 57,755
Either stand up for yourself and talk to your boss about the hours you do and have put in and ask them to show you mistakes or things you've done finished throughout your shift. Though it sounds like your boss isn't professional and can't see what's under her/his nose.

Your other option is quit. Start looking for another job and then quit once you find something else.

If this has been going on for a long time I doubt it's going to change or stop. Your mental health is more important and so is being appreciated by the job you do, not what you don't do because others complain loudly.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 9:41 PM   #3
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18,837
I would put in writing, without using names, what you said there. Tell him you utilize your time at work and are organized and get more done than the others.
__________________
"I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not better for it." -- Abraham Lincoln
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 11:19 PM   #4
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwayisup View Post
Either stand up for yourself and talk to your boss about the hours you do and have put in and ask them to show you mistakes or things you've done finished throughout your shift. Though it sounds like your boss isn't professional and can't see what's under her/his nose.

Your other option is quit. Start looking for another job and then quit once you find something else.

If this has been going on for a long time I doubt it's going to change or stop. Your mental health is more important and so is being appreciated by the job you do, not what you don't do because others complain loudly.
Thank you for confirming it isn't just me..he plays favourites to the lazy complainers and it's annoying. They are the biggest suck ups you would ever see and it's so frustrating.

When i decide to stick up for myself i am seen as the bad guy.
missingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 11:43 PM   #5
Established Member
 
CautiouslyOptimistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingu View Post
My working hours are 10-6.30..i am a productive worker, more so than anyone else except maybe one or two. We have some lazy coworkers who don't do even half of what we do but then complain when we go home on time.i will do all the overtime needed in the christmas/easter/price rise times but when its normal times i expect no more than 2 hours a week. My boss doesn't see my side of things and has the audacity to say i am not a good worker because i won't stay at work until 10pm at night every night because of poor management.

I am furious right now, what should i do?
I'm not understanding. Are you saying you have a set amount of work to do in a day, and you finish it in time to not have to do overtime but your boss still wants you to stay for overtime like your lazy coworkers who, presumably, don't finish their work on time, but are then getting paid overtime for working slowly? That's the way I read it.....
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 1:33 AM   #6
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingu View Post
My boss doesn't see my side of things and has the audacity to say i am not a good worker because i won't stay at work until 10pm at night every night because of poor management.
Without any other information, I can see your boss's side. If you're expected to stay until the job is done, and you cut out at 6:30 while everyone else is very busy and perhaps getting behind, then I can see why your boss said you're a bad worker.

I think you should ask your boss to clarify what's expected of you, schedule-wise.

Are you in the US? Are you a salaried employee? If not, are you getting overtime pay anytime you exceed 40 hours per week? Do you have anything in writing that says your scheduled hours are to be from 10 - 6:30?
CC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 1:37 AM   #7
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Antipodes
Posts: 8,704
Do you all have individual tasks and then you head home when you've done your own work?

Or is it more of a team thing where everyone is expected to stay until the job is done for the day?
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 2:36 AM   #8
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
Do you all have individual tasks and then you head home when you've done your own work?

Or is it more of a team thing where everyone is expected to stay until the job is done for the day?

It is a team thing where everyone is expected to get the job done. The problem i have is extra duties that need to be done and the boss relies on the same people to do them while others arent even considered and they don't pull their weight doing the normal duties as it is..they palm work off to everyone else .
missingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 5:27 PM   #9
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
Had a conversation with my boss yesterday who said i don't handle pressure well..this is two days after asking me to do his job while he is away for 2 weeks holiday. I am getting paid extra but he makes me so mad. I found out he doesn't want me to do his job while he is away (i did it 6 months ago voluntarily) to help out his 2ic who didn't know the job properly yet. My bosses boss overrode my boss and said for me to do it again..It's like my boss doesn't want me to succeed. I feel so powerless. Just had to rant.
missingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 10:56 PM   #10
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingu View Post
Had a conversation with my boss yesterday who said i don't handle pressure well..this is two days after asking me to do his job while he is away for 2 weeks holiday. I am getting paid extra but he makes me so mad. I found out he doesn't want me to do his job while he is away (i did it 6 months ago voluntarily) to help out his 2ic who didn't know the job properly yet. My bosses boss overrode my boss and said for me to do it again..It's like my boss doesn't want me to succeed. I feel so powerless. Just had to rant.
Could it be that your boss feels threatened by you? Doesn't want you doing his job while he's away because you might do it better? The fact that you've been chosen to cover for the boss suggests that his senior does see your worth, so I would do those two weeks while he's away and show the big boss what good management can achieve. If people are working 'til 10pm unnecessarily there's plenty of room for you to expose your bosses incompetent management without you having to say a word to anyone. The lower payroll during those 2 weeks will speak for you.
MsJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 3:12 PM   #11
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC12 View Post
Without any other information, I can see your boss's side. If you're expected to stay until the job is done, and you cut out at 6:30 while everyone else is very busy and perhaps getting behind, then I can see why your boss said you're a bad worker.

I think you should ask your boss to clarify what's expected of you, schedule-wise.

Are you in the US? Are you a salaried employee? If not, are you getting overtime pay anytime you exceed 40 hours per week? Do you have anything in writing

that says your scheduled hours are to be from 10 - 6:30?
I am not in the U.S.
I have a contract that states my hours are 10-6.30 5 days a week. Reasonable overtime is required, there is no set definition of what is reasonable but when i asked the union they said 2 hours a week is more than reasonable. We have had understaffing issues for a long time where more often than not the management expects that we do 12 hours a day 3 days a week.

Someone i work with said they've worked at plenty of places and have never seen the pressure like our workplace.

When it's really busy the boss goes on holidays.
missingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 7:05 AM   #12
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJayne View Post
Could it be that your boss feels threatened by you? Doesn't want you doing his job while he's away because you might do it better? The fact that you've been chosen to cover for the boss suggests that his senior does see your worth, so I would do those two weeks while he's away and show the big boss what good management can achieve. If people are working 'til 10pm unnecessarily there's plenty of room for you to expose your bosses incompetent management without you having to say a word to anyone. The lower payroll during those 2 weeks will speak for you.


My boss went away and i was promoted to management. He is back now and i know I'm going to find it challenging as he is set in his ways and he isn't the best at delegating tasks.

I have worked for him for close to 10 years. We recently had new management (his bosses)take over and they like my work. They asked if i was interested in promotion.

I wss told my boss was against it. Really doesn't want me to be a part of management even though i have proven myself. His bosses told me they back me 100%.
missingu is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Okay I got ganged up on marriedandsad Marriage & Life Partnerships 25 17th September 2007 5:21 AM
wait for full-time work or find side work now? Guest Business and Professional Relationships 0 30th April 2006 1:59 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 3:07 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.